Versys Hubs for Wire Spoked Wheels - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Hubs for Wire Spoked Wheels

In the November/December 2011 issue of "Adventuremotorcycle.com",
(Adv Moto), There is an article complete with pictures of a Versys Adventure bike conversion. Very nicely done article and the highlight (for me anyway), was the mention of a company ("RAD Manufacturing"), in Utah who is now making excellent spoked wheel hubs for the Versys. The wheel modification appears to bring the Versys closer to being on par with the more serious (and more expensive) mid sized Adventure bikes out there and makes the bike look really good not to mention much more off road worthy (19" front and 17" rear). I would like to post a picture but can't legally post a pic copied from a magazine. Here's the link for the RAD company: http://www.radmfg.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=versys
Looks like something for the hard core Versys/Adventure bike Wacko.

Last edited by Aleeoop; 11-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Can you run tubeless tires with this conversion.?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:57 AM
ggg

Versys is a road bike the cost of those wheels you could buy a rego dirt bike and have two, i have single tracked the versys and it becomes a joke, why am i hear doing this, its slow, very slow, its heavy and your always concerned about droping it, i thought it would be good but after that ride i decided its not, going down gravel roads its great and slowly on smooth single track its ok, but it hates sand, mud and rough ground, every ADV bike out there will blow it away DR650, KTM 640/690/990/ BMW 800, i doubt it could do the dirt at half speed even with spoked wheels and knobby tires its never gonna be a contender to the more serious (and more expensive) mid sized Adventure bikes.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM

IMO if you want a 19" front then do JDROCK's 'strom conversion. Can't find a wheel? You can buy a new one for $450. I don't think the mods are that much more for it. Probly find the rotor used, bearings can be sourced otherwise. The rest is a little machining, right JD?

The spoked wheels and hubs look great, but at what cost??? OMG!

Whoohoo --- 900th post! Yeegads.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Yeah Chris, 900!?!
And I was thinking you hadn't been around much...

I also enjoyed the Versys article but thought the spoked wheel conversion to be way too expensive. And for what end? Why would you spend that kind of dough to turn your advantage on the street into, at best, a push off pavement?
As others have said, you'd still have a terrible dirt bike.
And Fasto, I don't know that anybody makes a tubeless 21". Not really any application.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Can you run tubeless tires with this conversion.?

Fastoman - here's a link to a set of pics I posted on the KLR650 site of converting the spoked rims to tubeless - and it WORKED GREAT!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_KL...85568/pic/list

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Yeah Chris, 900!?!
And I was thinking you hadn't been around much...
Sorry...been building threads on cafehusky and advrider.

The V will come out to play when it warms up here.

I'm going to lend it out to TCIProductsusa.com to develop their line of accessories. They built a bunch of stuff for the new Husqvarna TE630. If you go to the site and click 'HUSKY TE630' all of the photos are my bike. Just did 400 miles in Death Valley with it and everything was fantastic.

I got in trouble on ADV for posting that my Husky was my answer to dualsport tires for the Versys. It was reported as a threadjack. Kind like what we're doing here.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
its never gonna be a contender to the more serious (and more expensive) mid sized Adventure bikes.
Iíve owned and ridden some of those mid sized ADV bikes for thousands of miles and the Versys for me has been every bit as good and in a lot of ways even better. The cheapness of working on the V is a big deal for me. As far as the V's performance on dirt I think that has a lot more to do with the rider. Iíve ridden with guys on those expensive ADV bikes on light terrain and had to wait for them. I did a gnarly fire road over in WVA a week ago with a guy on a V-storm with street tires and he had to wait for me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 PM

What I would be interested in knowing is if RaceTech's fancy valve assemblies and stiffer springs would help the Versys even remotely in non-paved surfaces riding.

The stock suspension can be bottomed out at a snails pace.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
What I would be interested in knowing is if RaceTech's fancy valve assemblies and stiffer springs would help the Versys even remotely in non-paved surfaces riding.

The stock suspension can be bottomed out at a snails pace.
Just give 'em a call and let us know what they say: 951.279.6655
They're just up the freeway a bit from the house.

My hunch is that a proper setup for either street or dirt moreorless precludes the other. Maybe they can work wonders on them though.

I know there was a thread a couple of years back, and I think it was racetech, where they had added the complete guts from the damping side to the other as well, complete re-valve, and sprung it to match rider and bike. Heard it worked pretty good too. I'll look and see if I can find it.

The hypertech shock was the ticket for the rear, but mad $$ to buy one. Like $1400 or something stupid like that.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Racetech Suspension Mods

Yep, from two years ago: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=racetech

Racetech has been all thru them.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

As I mentioned at the end of the original post, this conversion is definitely for Versys/Adventure bike Wackos. I was just saying that if you really want a Versys adventure bike, you can have it but it won't necessarily be cheap. It can be done though. And tubeless tires could be used with the wheels built with these hubs just like any other spoked wheel as long as you use a tubeless kit which would cost even more money. That being said, I don't think any 400 plus lb. motorcycle is much fun off road but judging from the number of big Adv bikes out there, someone does!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 PM

The only time I've bottomed the fork on the V was leading a 990 Adventure on a dirt detour from our planned gravel route. I was in front thinking I could turn us back if it got too rough. But you know how that goes...
Finally, on the third good whack I stopped. Ken suggested slowing down; I was trying to keep it in 2nd and keep from slowing him down too much. 1st felt snatchy. So I just crawled it in 2nd and worked the clutch some. That worked alright, the torque comes in so low.
Wait, what was this thread about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode