New rubbers :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

New rubbers :)

Yup got some new tires for my ride.

I must admit, Avon has stepped up their game in a big way. These tires are amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 PM

I put new shoes on this weekend too. Replaced the stockers at 5900 miles with some shinko 009's. The stock rear was square as hell.. after riding on the new rubber, I can't believe I put up with the worn ones for so long..

I could NOT get those new tires on with spoons. It was way too tight to get the last 1/5 on without destroying the bead, had to take it to a shop with a machine to get it finished. I also scratched the s#$% out of the rim through pieces of milk jug. Any tips?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 AM

Did you use something like Pledge to lube up the rims a little bit? There are also commercial pastes you can buy specifically for this purpose, but I have found Pledge works well.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 AM

That`s what I had on my V at the beginning of the summer but the rear tire just dissapear in no time!!! I'm running on Tourance in the back now but still with my Avon upfront!

E

---
LeFrere

What's on my 2009 Versys:
Vario Windshield
Gel seat (and my ass ;-)
Piaa Horn
USB plug
Lowering kit
Storm Handguards
RAM mount (i-phone/E-trex Legend)
Cool Mirrors
GearTronic ZERO
Rear tire :Metzeler tourance (150/70R-17/)
Front tire: Avon Distenzia

and more...

P.S.
Si tu fais le mal, fait le bien car le mal bien fait ne fait jamais bien mal....

Last edited by lefrere; 11-14-2011 at 07:22 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
I could NOT get those new tires on with spoons. It was way too tight to get the last 1/5 on without destroying the bead, had to take it to a shop with a machine to get it finished. I also scratched the s#$% out of the rim through pieces of milk jug. Any tips?
Cycle Hill Tire Changer

It’s a bit pricey but if you go thru a lot of tires (as I do) it’s a great investment because it makes the job a snap to do — without scratching the rims

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
I must admit, Avon has stepped up their game in a big way. These tires are amazing.
You've probably not put too many miles on those guys yet, but I'm really interested those. I'd be eager to hear what you think. Are they noisy on the superslab? I'm trying to decide between those and the Tourance; any and all feedback is appreciated...

Cheers, Jeff
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
You've probably not put too many miles on those guys yet, but I'm really interested those. I'd be eager to hear what you think. Are they noisy on the superslab? I'm trying to decide between those and the Tourance; any and all feedback is appreciated...

Cheers, Jeff
only have about 200 miles on them but so far I am in love. damp roads they work fire roads they work. even did some mud rutted roads and they did ok.

only down side I can think of is at about 85-90mph the front starts to wonder

and there is just about no noise from them on the freeway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
I put new shoes on this weekend too. Replaced the stockers at 5900 miles with some shinko 009's. The stock rear was square as hell.. after riding on the new rubber, I can't believe I put up with the worn ones for so long..

my tip is spend the 40 bucks and have a shop mount the tires on. it will save you a headache and damaged rims.

I used to be a big online guy trying to save 10 bucks here and there. then shops around me start to close up shop so now i buy all my stuff at the local motorbike shop it only cost me a few bucks more but I can also talk bikes to someone while they work on my bike

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 PM

I have 7893 miles on my stock tires. I hit the tread wear bars on my rear tire a few hundred miles ago.

I ordered Shinko 009 Ravens last week at a local shop. They got in today & I'm scheduled to have them installed tomorrow. I'm a little tempted to put it off until I have atleast 8000 miles on my original tires. Maybe I'll take the long way to the shop (110 mile detour).

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
I have 7893 miles on my stock tires. I hit the tread wear bars on my rear tire a few hundred miles ago.

I ordered Shinko 009 Ravens last week at a local shop. They got in today & I'm scheduled to have them installed tomorrow. I'm a little tempted to put it off until I have atleast 8000 miles on my original tires. Maybe I'll take the long way to the shop (110 mile detour).

Nice! I had 5500 on the oem tires and they still had tread but they were stale and felt like po po. New tires always feel soooo good
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Shinko Tires Cracked. MEFO Replacement.

I might not ride off road this weekend (wife's b'day) but wanted to share my latest.

I have had Shinko 705 tires on my Versys for at least 2 years now. The front tire recently reached 9,000 miles and I thought it could do more miles but it cracked!

This is not the first time it happened. Before it was my fault (according to ShinkoUSA) because I didn't inflate the tire back to 32psi for high speed on roading after lowering to 25psi for off roading.

I took the blame and tried it again for 9,000 miles until it cracked. I didn't lower the air pressure at all this time. I guess it was just old and due for replacement?

Anyway, I switched to the MEFO and I like it. A bit noisy but lighter and better looking than the Shinko I think. I still have a Shinko rear tire but once that is due for replacement I'll try the Heidenau.

Enjoy the photos!

:wink:

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM

You posted this in every freakin' tire thread? Sheesh!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I posted my experiences with 705s a long time ago, and that I would recommend AGAINST them, because of the tread separation issue.

They are NOT safe, as long as this persists!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Them are KLR rubbers.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the 705's

I seeing that they start to crack from other forums as well.

Up to 1k miles on these and I am still impressed at how well they do. I can go from straight gravel dirty roads to full pavement smoking street bikes status without a blink of the eye!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

I also want to retract what I said about the wobble above 80mph. It must of been the freeway I was on. Bc these are stable at speeds above that.

Also I have a track day in february ill report back!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
You posted this in every freakin' tire thread? Sheesh!
Apologies, just wanted to warn other riders of the Shinko's issue.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

So I am about 1500 miles into these tires and I love them! they grip like nobody business! fully leaned over on uneven pot hole roads and they feel great! fires roads gravel roads are awesome too!

I am having a little tearing issue but its all good in my book considering how much I ask from these motard tires.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

MY experience with Shinko 705s, along with MANY others, is NOT the bit of 'chunking' your last pic shows, but of actual tread SEPARATIONS! Get one of those while "...you're asking much of them..." and you could end up on your head or worse.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcool72 View Post

These look REALLY good for ADV riding. What size are you running, I can't tell in the photo.
Do you have some miles on them? How is road noise/vibration, and pavement carving/handling with this front?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode