"Battle Scars"....Source of Pride or Nuisance?!? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

"Battle Scars"....Source of Pride or Nuisance?!?

Hey gang,

So I went on a long ride in the Texas Hill Country to see the fall foliage (beutiful this time of year), and our group drove on some back roads that had lots of loose rocks. I had to drop back some from the cat ahead of me because there were so many rocks flying, and sure enough I could hear them hitting my (formerly) brand-new V.

Two schools of thought here, I think. On the one hand, there are some cats who would highlight rock chip damage and treat this damage like badges of honor, proof that "they were there, riding through it all." On the other hand, there are cats who obssess over fixing whatever damage happened during the ride right away so as to preserve the beauty of "their baby." I fall in the latter camp because I like taking good care of all my vehicles. What camp do y'all fall in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:59 AM

Pass them all
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 AM

I used to be very anal about keeping my bikes clean and damage free. When I purchased my V i told myself I was going to ride it no matter what, take it wherever, and not worry about how it looks. I maintain it well but have given up on having a parade bike. I have never had more fun than riding my V and I am proud of the way she looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
I used to be very anal about keeping my bikes clean and damage free. When I purchased my V i told myself I was going to ride it no matter what, take it wherever, and not worry about how it looks. I maintain it well but have given up on having a parade bike. I have never had more fun than riding my V and I am proud of the way she looks.
Ditto. I ride mine on plenty of dirt roads, and have dropped it more than once. I try to keep it in excellent mechanical condition, but don't sweat the minor scratches. If I had wanted to keep it pristine, I wouldn't have had all those adventures I've had.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM

If it's got a few scars it's more useful.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM

for me, it depends on the bike. I've always tried to keep the Versys looking good but I have a KLR that I couldn't care less about the appearance.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER View Post
Pass them all
You got squid in your handle so just put the hammer down.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM

In your example, what fun is it to be riding behind someone on rocks and getting nailed with them?

F - it. Pull over for a minute and then hammer the road the way you want to. If you spill, THAT is a battle scar.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:

on two wheels:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM

I work on keeping the oil changed the rubber in good condition, chain and sprockets, engine tuned, etc., etc. Scraps and scars well I could really care less its not a Ducati 999.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Guess I'm somewhere in the middle....I get my stuff and use it. I take care of it so it'll take care of me but I don't think I own anything that's just for show.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode