Still looking to buy a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Still looking to buy a Versys

So far I got my local dealer down to $5,865.25 OTD for a brand new 2009 Versys (Blue, still in the shipping crate). Still think I can get him down a little more. I keep telling them that the bike isn't getting any newer sitting there in a crate. I am also still torn about wanting another FZ6. It's just hard finding one at a good deal locally.

Anyone road both the Versys and the FZ6? Thoughts between the two of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

He SHOULD get the price down another $1000 to $4800 or LESS. I paid $4859 LAST November for an '09.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Was that out the door price? Taxes here are only 3.5% so that doesn't add a lot.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM

OK I'll bite.
Post a scanned invoice with personnel information blacked out showing an OTD price of 4,859$ on brand new 09 purchased in Nov of 2010. And I will pay-pal you the cost of steak dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
He SHOULD get the price down another $1000 to $4800 or LESS. I paid $4859 LAST November for an '09.
IMO
Check Cycle Trader Nationwide for pricing, and read the pricing disclaimers. Cycle trader prices don't always include several fee's. That's will reflect the market at the time you looked. Try another time with the dealer you working with, cash in hand. Brand new 650cc bike for 5.8K OTD don't miss out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpingjerry View Post
So far I got my local dealer down to $5,865.25 OTD for a brand new 2009 Versys (Blue, still in the shipping crate). Still think I can get him down a little more.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM
DR_

I bought my blue '09 in March for $5550 OTD which included 6.25% state tax. At the time Kawasaki was offering a discount on the '09 however. I don't Kawasaki is giving that discount anymore so you might not get a much better deal than what you have been offered.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
drn

Quote:
So far I got my local dealer down to $5,865.25 OTD for a brand new 2009 Versys (Blue, still in the shipping crate). Still think I can get him down a little more. I keep telling them that the bike isn't getting any newer sitting there in a crate. I am also still torn about wanting another FZ6. It's just hard finding one at a good deal locally.

I am a previous 2007 FZ6 owner. My brother has a 2009 Versys and we swapped bikes on a ride once. I was suprised by the Versys and kept thinking about how much fun it was to ride. After the second time I rode it, I wanted one. While the FZ6 is faster (in a straight line) the Versys is much more fun in the twisties. While the FZ6 is fairly comfortable to ride, I like the riding position of the Versys more. I am certain I make better time, in twisties, on the Versys than the FZ6. There are only a few things I miss about the FZ6 - the acceleration above 8,000 rpm's and the fit, finish and extras of a Yamaha (rear hugger, side & center stand, and the dash which includes a engine temp. reading). The Versys has good, useable power. I opted for a 2011 as I wanted the newer style and could not find a used 2010 or 2011 close to me. My brother's 2009 is great and I don't think you would be dissappointed with an '09. I have never been a Kawasaki fan and never thought I would own one. You have to ride the Versys to understand it. As many have said, it's a keeper. I enjoy mine more every time I ride it. Let me know if you are looking for something more specific between the two. Good luck.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I have 15,000 miles on a V and about 1,500 miles on an FZ6. They both have their positives and negatives but to me this should be a fairly easy choice and comes down to the one way in which they are VERY different: the engine.

The FZ6 has that supersport-derived engine. Not much torque below 8,000 rpm. The Versys makes torque even at low rpm. Not much point spending much time above 8,000 rpm. Totally different characteristics.

So, would you rather bang two or three downshifts and rev to 10,000 rpm to make a surprisingly fast pass or would you rather do maybe one downshift and just twist the throttle for a somewhat less rapid pass?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks drn! I think I'm just about sold on the Versys.

Well I was going to head to the dealer again today to try and work something out, but looks like I'm moving from our 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom apartment sooner that we though. Bike shopping will have to go on hold for a few days. The dealer has two left, one in the crate, and one on the showroom floor. They should still be there next week (I hope).
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post

So, would you rather bang two or three downshifts and rev to 10,000 rpm to make a surprisingly fast pass or would you rather do maybe one downshift and just twist the throttle for a somewhat less rapid pass?
Now that you said that I do remember having to downshift two or three gears to make fast passes. Thanks for the response.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks drn! I think I'm just about sold on the Versys.

Well I was going to head to the dealer again today to try and work something out, but looks like I'm moving from our 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom apartment sooner that we though. Bike shopping will have to go on hold for a few days. The dealer has two left, one in the crate, and one on the showroom floor. They should still be there next week (I hope).

If i were you i would write down a price i wanted to spend on the bike. Go see the dealer and tell him you don't want to waste his time or yours. Give him the paper with the price and tell him if he can meet your price to give you a call. Tell him thanks have a good day and walk away..

You need to close him instead of him closing you.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Was that out the door price? Taxes here are only 3.5% so that doesn't add a lot.
Yes, but as I'm a Canadian and was planning to export it/ import it into Canada, I wasn't subject to AZ sales taxes. At the Border I paid about $140 taxes (what was left after my personal deductions), plus a one-time fee of $215 to ensure it complied to our requirements. Spent 5 minutes having it checked to "justify" the $215...! All-in-all, I got a new '09 for about $5200 landed in Canada (oh yah - PLUS the $170 I paid for a Harbor Freight trailer kit which I used to haul the Green Hornet back with... and ANOTHER $215 fee to ensure IT met our pollution requirements.... )

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
OK I'll bite.
Post a scanned invoice with personnel information blacked out showing an OTD price of 4,859$ on brand new 09 purchased in Nov of 2010. And I will pay-pal you the cost of steak dinner.
Love to, BUT all the paper on my '09 is in BC, while I'm in AZ.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
.... At the time Kawasaki was offering a discount on the '09 however. I don't Kawasaki is giving that discount anymore so you might not get a much better deal than what you have been offered.
I think this might be the case right now. IF it were me, and I couldn't get as good a price as I told you about, I'd look at a good used (and farkled) example for around that price, or a newer one.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

and hope you close the deal on the 09.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 AM

To
fasteddiecopeman and who it may concern or entertain.

Jumpingjerry is new to Versys and looking for worthwhile information to make an informed purchasing decision.

In paragraph No. 1 you state he should be able to get the OTD price down below $4800

"get the price down another $1000 to $4800 or less. I paid $4859 last November for an '09"

Less than the $5,865.25 OTD presented by the dealer Jumpingjerry is communicating with.

The information in Paragraph No. 2 would need to be considered to have any relavance.
It's an indication of bike cost without DMV and sales tax. Not a realistic U.S. OTD price.
The man lives in Alabama not Canada.

Paragraph No. 1)
Quote:
he should get the price down another $1000 to $4800 or less. I paid $4859 last november for an '09.
Paragraph No. 2)
Quote:
yes, but as I'm a Canadian and was planning to export it/ import it into Canada, i wasn't subject to AZ sales taxes. At the border i paid about $140 taxes (what was left after my personal deductions), plus a one-time fee of $215 to ensure it complied to our requirements. Spent 5 minutes having it checked to "justify" the $215...! All-in-all, i got a new '09 for about $5200 landed in Canada (oh yah - plus the $170 i paid for a harbor freight trailer kit which i used to haul the green hornet back with... And another $215 fee to ensure it met our pollution requirements.... )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By your own words, unless I'm missing part of this puzzle, You did did not own a Versys that could be legally driven on either American or Canadian roads for 4859$.

This is third time I have made this free steak dinner offer in regard to these super duper OTD price claims and no one has gotten a free steak yet.

All these outrageous claims do, is make people feel like they paid to much and / or possibly miss out on a valid and reasonable deal.

ME
Quote:
OK I'll bite.
Post a scanned invoice with personnel information blacked out showing an otd price of 4,859$ on brand new 09 purchased in Nov of 2010. And i will pay-pal you the cost of steak dinner....
You
Quote:
love to, but all the paper on my '09 is in BC, while I'm in AZ.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cycletrader has new 09's in nearby states to Alabama for between 4.9-5.5K$ without fee's that's consistent with the price the dealer has presented..
We all know what talks and what walks.

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-09-2011 at 12:03 PM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
djg

I bought an '09 in July of 2010 for 4744.00 out the door. NOT including tax and title, which was about 300.00. Bought in MN, live in WI. Brothers Motosports in Brainerd , MN. They had a Cycletrader.com ad for 4645.00. To that they added a 99.00 assembly prep charge. Pretty straightforward. They took a personal check for the full amount. I'm sure they did a credit check while I took a test ride. I am "mature", and have good credit.

Last edited by djg; 11-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

"Out the door price includes everything, including all fees, sales tax, registration fee, and license fees. Everything"

All mandatory costs to drive or ride away owning the vehicle.

Post a scanned invoice with personnel information blacked out showing an otd price of 5,044$
(4744+300) on brand new 09 purchased in July 2010. And I will pay-pal you the cost of steak dinner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I bought an '09 in July of 2010 for 4744.00 out the door. NOT including tax and title, which was about 300.00. .....

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

"Out the door price includes everything, including all fees, sales tax, registration fee, and license fees. Everything"

Will have to agree.. OTD has always been everything included. I've only seen some folks on hear use the term OTD then say plus tags,title,etc,etc.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
djg

I clearly stated the otd price did not include tax and title. I bought it in another state. But, I will see if I can get a copy of the invoice up on here. I don't know anyone with a scanner. Not interested in any reward or prize, just don't like being called a liar.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I clearly stated the otd price did not include tax and title. I bought it in another state. But, I will see if I can get a copy of the invoice up on here. I don't know anyone with a scanner. Not interested in any reward or prize, just don't like being called a liar.

Nobody's calling you a liar. Just that OTD means whatever the total cost of everything to park it in your driveway no matter where you live.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode