World's Ugliest Mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

World's Ugliest Mod

Greetings from North TX. With the temps dropping (yes, it gets chilly in Texas), I have decided to play "Rider's Limbo". The objective is to see how low the temps can go before I hang up the V for the season. For the most part, I am toasty warm in my First Gear pants (with liner) and Scorpion Commander jacket. I put on rain over-boots to keep the wind off my ankles.

No matter what gloves I wear, the wind always turns my hands numb by the time I reach the office. Even with the grip heaters cranking, I can't keep the outside of my hands warm. It's a strange sensation when the palm side of your hands are sweating and the back side of your fingers are freezing.

The solution - take a couple sheets of acrylic and a heat gun. Form the plastic to mate with your hand guards, drill holes and attach with lots of rubber washers so nothing gets scratched in the process. My theory was that if I could block the wind, the grip heaters would do the rest.

I got a good test this morning as it was 32F when I left the garage at 5:30 this morning. I was running on fumes so stopped to fill her up. Of course, I had to take off my "Michelin Man" gloves to slap the credit card in the machine and operate the pump. By the time I was done, my hands were really cold.

Back on the V, the commute resumed at 70+ mph and the grip heaters on HIGH. My hands warmed back up to the point that I had to turn down the grip heaters cuz they were sweating. Mission accomplished! Now I need to work on making them look less KLR-ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UglyMod.jpg (25.9 KB, 356 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Rik

Nice job!~ kill the wind. kill the chill!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Yep, sure looks ugly.

Those hand guards look like Zetas, witch is what I have, and they are almost completely ineffective in cold weather.
I've been meaning to make my own, larger ones by using Zeta's as the mold. Some moldable plastic or even carbon fiber would work.
Something like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7813158...n/photostream/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM

"windscreens" for the hands sure makes a difference.

I previously bought a pair of snowmobile gauntlet gloves similar to these.

Two aspects that make gloves function better for Motorcycling are a wind breaking tight
fabric outer layer and thick fluffy insulating layer like thinsulate. These gloves have worked well for me unless soaking wet.
But I'm a warm blooded person and don't generally have issues with the cold down to the point where I'm get more concerned with frost and frozen sprinkler over spray.
This mornings commute using my summer gloves was 34 degrees.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-04-2011 at 11:18 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Rik

I saw a thread here a while back pertaining to handguards made by KTM. They appeared to provide substantial wind protection but not much protection in the event of a spill. Looked like an easy mod free install as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Garage
I got a pair of these i haven't put on yet. But today might be the day pretty cool in the mornings and my hands are the only part of me that ever gets cold. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=elephant+ears

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I saw a thread here a while back pertaining to handguards made by KTM. They appeared to provide substantial wind protection but not much protection in the event of a spill. Looked like an easy mod free install as well.
I have a set of the KTM handguards I bought from a forum member. They work fairly well for blocking the wind. My finger tips still get cold but I can lift them up flat and "play piano" behind them while its cold (36 degrees) and get some warmth in the tips.

I'm thinking about actually attaching a lip to the top and bottom to provide a more cupped area.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I had initially wanted to install Hippo Hands, but the farkle fund is tapped dry for the time being (Powerlet/GPS mount/windshield/bar risers). So, I was faced with doing nothing or making something from scratch. Once the budget allows, will probably trade up to Hippo Hands. Much warmer and not so "campy".
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 AM

Round those corners with a Dremel, paint the inside red, you'll be good to go!

Metroplex V's don't hang up for the season, didn't you get a copy of the bylaws?
I missed about 5 days last year during the Superbowl ice thing.

cajun voice: you can do-it!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 AM

I have the Barkbuster single side mounts, coupled with Gerbing's Core gloves

http://coreheat.net/Products/Heated%20S2%20Gloves.html

and my hands stay toasty warm in all temps.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazjemo View Post
Round those corners with a Dremel, paint the inside red, you'll be good to go!

Metroplex V's don't hang up for the season, didn't you get a copy of the bylaws?
I missed about 5 days last year during the Superbowl ice thing.

cajun voice: you can do-it!
...and bend/curve them a bit inwards and you may have nice wind protection.

This is called -Killing the Enemy whichever way you can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode