car crash heads-up! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
car crash heads-up!

Yesterday I went for a 300 km ride to check out some roads not too far from where I live in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia. I'd gone as far along a secondary highway as I wanted, turned around and started heading back. Lots of twisties (basically ALL roads around here!), and I was in a left-straight-left set of transitions when I thought I saw fresh skid marks going off the road to my left, a pretty fair drop-off into a forest. As soon as it was safe I turned and came back, but couldn't really see anything below where the skid ended on the shoulder, so I found as safe a place to park the Versys as possible, dismounted and walked back.

Now I could see evidence that a vehicle was down there, on it's side. Calling out in case someone was trapped in it (no answer) , I made my way down (20 feet?) to see it was an older Ford (Tempo?). No one was in it, I checked around, saw beer cans and took some pictures.

From evidence of blood (and all the empty Bud cans...) inside, I'm pretty sure someone got hurt if not killed, but I think the police had removed that person(s), probably - from the freshness of the skid marks - not long before I got there, as the license plates were gone.

The reason I'm posting this is to remind us that it's probably good practice to check it out whenever we see fresh evidence of a vehicle going off the road, particularly in remote areas. The pictures will show you what I saw, starting with the skid marks, and possibly reinforce the mantra - DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash1.jpg (438.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg crash2.jpg (617.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg crash3.jpg (637.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg crash4.jpg (746.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg crash5.jpg (666.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg crash6.jpg (395.4 KB, 248 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
good on you for checking it out...like you said, you never know and that person could still have been down there. A sobering reminder of what happens when you mix booze and speed...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM

i pulled up to a very gruesome collision in south georgia where a drunk driver hit a family in their van. The drunk survived and the rest of the family did except for the father. He was pinned against something and they couldnt get him out.

It was a very crazy night for me on that ride home, and needless to say the wife and I promised each other we would never drink and drive.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 AM

Good on ya for checking it out - was this on Westside Road? I too live in the Okanagan - West Kelowna!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Most of those type wrecks happen at night. I don't ride at night except between work and home. If I were to stop at ever skid mark I saw when riding on curvy back roads I would never get anywhere. That is why I don't ride the curvy back roads at night.

If drunks weren't complete idiots they would buy vehicles with OnStar for when the wreck occurs. But the are driving drunk so...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm-A-Girl View Post
Good on ya for checking it out - was this on Westside Road? I too live in the Okanagan - West Kelowna!
No. It was on Hwy 6 going from Coldstream to the ferry for Nakusp.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:59 PM

I had a similar experience one night when I saw a brief reflection of a license plate off the road. Sure enough, there was a car back in the timber that had lost control on a curve. It was very lucky for the driver that I happened to stop and check it out.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 PM

I've never heard of the police abandoning a wreck after a serious accident in which someone was injured. They will always stay at the site of an accident until the wreck gets hauled off to the impound yard and usually afterward to take measurements and photos for their investigation. Just wondering if someone crashed while drinking and then took off. Did you call 911 to report it or check?

Last edited by Sprocket; 09-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I've never heard of the police abandoning a wreck after a serious accident in which someone was injured. They will always stay at the site of an accident until the wreck gets hauled off to the impound yard and usually afterward to take measurements and photos for their investigation. Just wondering if someone crashed while drinking and then took off. Did you call 911 to report it or check?
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Still, what a crazy, strange situation! Why the missing plates? (They can still identify the owners by the VIN #) If they were drunk and injured but had the ability to remove the plates, why not take the empty beer cans too? Was the car maybe stolen? Weird....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
No, didn't call 911. Look closely at picture 2 - there's a bit of "POLICE LINE, DO NOT CROSS" tape around the lower part of the front bumper, which I only saw after I checked the car, and that's when I saw that the plates were gone.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in