Acceleration Video for Anyone Interested - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Acceleration Video for Anyone Interested

Hi all,

I know there is kind of a lack of acceleration videos on the Versys as I couldn't really find a decent one. I posted one a bit of time ago on Youtube. Figured I would post a link here for anyone thinking of getting a Versys but want to see the fun.

Its a long video, but I included timestamps in the description for the different gear starts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM

No Gear at 90 MPH...?

Dude, sorry but I can't stand videos of people riding in T -Shirts and no Gloves doing 90 MPH on public streets...and trying to inform us on the bikes potential...I hope you never post a video of the skin grafts your surgeon has had to perform to keep you from looking like hamberger meat for the rest of your life... sorry, I feel you need a wake up , so , please...wear good gear and show people that you are a mature rider with some experiance...

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
Dude, sorry but I can't stand videos of people riding in T -Shirts and no Gloves doing 90 MPH on public streets...and trying to inform us on the bikes potential...I hope you never post a video of the skin grafts your surgeon has had to perform to keep you from looking like hamberger meat for the rest of your life... sorry, I feel you need a wake up , so , please...wear good gear and show people that you are a mature rider with some experiance...
+1

That's all I could think about after I saw his bare hands and arms...
No bueno.

Plus, to me it doesn't look like he is riding the bike right to get maximum acceleration anyway. Well, at least in the bits I saw (I only watched for a couple of minutes).

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I do appreciate the effort you put in...let's not turn this into an ATGATT flamefest. It is his choice to wear what he wants, it's not a busy road, and anyone who says they haven't wicked their bike up to 90 on a deserted straight road is full of shat...I believe in wearing all the gear, especially off road or in high traffic areas, but he only made this video to try to help people out, not to show off.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Hard to get a feel for acceleration with the cam pointed at the dash. No big deal though, the V is not fast. Its not slow either but if someone bought this bike looking for supersport (speed) they bought the wrong bike.

PS Put some gloves on.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 08-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUREFIRE View Post
I do appreciate the effort you put in...let's not turn this into an ATGATT flamefest. It is his choice to wear what he wants, it's not a busy road, and anyone who says they haven't wicked their bike up to 90 on a deserted straight road is full of shat...I believe in wearing all the gear, especially off road or in high traffic areas, but he only made this video to try to help people out, not to show off.
too late.. hehe

I wouldn't say it's not a busy road.. he had to wait for several of them to go by before he started his so called test and we see several zip by going the opposite direction throughout the clip.. and at 7:19 he zips around a car stopped in the middle of the road.. the car could have easily pulled out in front of him, maybe even pulled a u turn.. that's my first thought whenever I see someone pulled half way over like that.. they are looking to pull a U-turn and I won't go anywhere near them until I figure out what they are trying to do.. know of several people killed by that kind of thing.. and in the video, he himself commented on how much traffic was on the road

besides, if we don't school the young man, he'll quickly move in to full fledged squid-dom and all will be lost

Last edited by robdogg; 08-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Ah Hell. when younger i've been known to ride through a field wearing sneakers and a smile. Some days i go all gear some days just the helmet. Were all adults we all know the risk. Just because your getting old doesn't mean you turn in to a p.u.s.s.y

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM

N. F. S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
hard to get a feel for acceleration with the cam pointed at the dash. No big deal though, the v is not fast. Its not slow either but if someone bought this bike looking for supersport (speed) they bought the wrong bike.

Ps put some gloves on.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM

we've all done dumb stuff.. some still do ;^) (not saying the clip was dumb, a little reckless maybe) but many have paid the ultimate price for not riding smart.. like a young fellow who was killed by an oncoming driver a few days ago near me, not because of anything he did, but maybe by what he didn't do.. The cage driver going the opposite direction crossed a few feet over the center line and hit him head on, but if the guy on the bike had been riding on the lane furthest from the center line (he was on the inside lane of a two lane passing area high in a mountain pass), or at least been hugging the right side of the lane, he might still be alive.. so when I see a guy posting a video and nonchalantly driving around some stopped car, or doing high speed runs on a busy road while being distracted by narrating a video.. just cant stay quiet

I ride on the edge constantly, as if every other person on the road is totally unaware of my presence (even though I have driving lights, brake light modulator, air horn etc.), don't think that makes me a wussy, but these are just things you learn the more time you spend on the road, and hopefully listen to and learn from others
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well heres a video i posted riding around the neighborhood at the house in texas before i left for california and you can see my shadow i'm not wearing a helmet and boy did i hear about it. No laws broken and i know what can happen and weighed the risk and went without the helmet. If i would have cracked my head open the only person to blame would be me. Life is a risk if your living it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM

It's amazing how boring motorcycling looks when you watch videos of it. Im not saying this video specifically, just most of them.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Besides the obvious issues of lack of safety gear and breaking the law. Versys peak power is between 7500 and 8500 rpm red lining it will not make it faster.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Were all adults we all know the risk.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
rlj

Naudan, thanks for posting the video. I enjoy watching videos of the V and before I purchased one I think I watched every V video on the Internet, at least twice.

For what it's worth, I could care less what you wear when you ride. It's your decision and I'm not your father.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM

It is all good. We all risk our lives everytime we get on the bike or in a car for that matter. Hate to say it but i find myself rideing without the proper gear in the 110+ texas heat quite often. Live rite and hope for the best. when its your time its your time.

cheers
JET
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Naudan, thanks for posting the video. I enjoy watching videos of the V and before I purchased one I think I watched every V video on the Internet, at least twice.

For what it's worth, I could care less what you wear when you ride. It's your decision and I'm not your father.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettexas View Post
It is all good. We all risk our lives everytime we get on the bike or in a car for that matter. Hate to say it but i find myself rideing without the proper gear in the 110+ texas heat quite often. Live rite and hope for the best. when its your time its your time.

cheers
JET

Well Said.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 PM

I think naudan's video is a useful tool for some potential Versys owners. I too noticed the lack of gloves, and was kind of surprised that he filmed the video without them. That said, even though I ride almost 100% of the time with boots, gloves, jacket, and helmet, (sorry, not pants: it can get way too hot for me here in Mexico), as others have said, he's a big boy and can make his own decisions. BTW naudan, I've wiped out in a low side slide at about 50 mph, with the gear I described above on and still had road rash through my Icon leather gloves, Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and my knees which took a long time to heal. I figger if I abraded that badly with the gear, I should probably wear all or most of it. *not intended as a lecture; just sharing info mate* Thanks for the video.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Ah Hell. when younger i've been known to ride through a field wearing sneakers and a smile. Some days i go all gear some days just the helmet. Were all adults we all know the risk. Just because your getting old doesn't mean you turn in to a p.u.s.s.y
I'm not so sure about this.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettexas View Post

cheers
JET
I completely agree with both of you.
Hell, I've ridden around with no helmet, no gloves, t-shirt, and shorts before....
Just NOT when I was filming a "see what this machine can do all out" video. To not be wearing safety gear in that situation seems counter-intuitive to me. As I mentioned before, that's all I could think about while watching the video: Why is this guy doing "high-performance riding" without the proper safety gear? Not, "this guy is riding without gloves; he's a stupid horrible person."

Anyway, at the end of the day when the dust settles, I don't care about what other riders wear or don't wear. We are free to make our own choices and live (or die) with the results of those choices. Well, at least those who live in states/countries without helmet laws that is....

On a technical note, while I appreciate the effort and intention of the OP, I personally didn't get much out of what I watched. I couldn't sense the acceleration just watching the speedo spool up...but that's just my opinion. If it worked for other people, cool.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode