Sticks and stones - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sticks and stones

Fell over on my sweet loved '09 yesterday.

I was exiting my driveway and saw a large branch laying into the road. I maneuvered around and thought I had cleared it. All of a sudden, I came to an abrupt stop and over to the left I went. I had apparently clipped just the very end of the branch and it flipped up and got between the upper and lower chain in front of the rear sprocket. It stopped me dead so fast I never had a chance to get my leg out to stop the fall. I was really honked 'cause I had intended to never drop this bike, ya right... I now have the pitted alt cover, scratched up rad cowling, slight front fork rash, busted clutch lever, and chewed left mirror. Waaaaa!

I got a little dinged up but I was already ugly so no biggie...

And yes I know what you're gunna say, and I do know better; I'll fess up and say I was in a hurry to get to an appointment.

Any suggestions other than the obvious on sourcing replacement parts for a good price? Any of you have a left mirror or alt cover laying around?

The crazy part about the story is that I have a Motech crash bar set that I got from a forum member here. I haven't installed 'em yet because the mounting hardware was missing when the bars arrived no thanks to the post office in a long stupid story that I won't get into now. I hadn't sourced the missing pieces yet.

That's what I get for procrastinating... If I just woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Sometimes we all need a little 'Karmic' kick in the head so as to keep the big picture in focus....Glad to hear you walked away from yours.
(My 'kick in the head' usually ends with me in front of the local magistrate asking for a little mercy ....Dam throttle has no respect for posted speed limits in the wee hours of the morning....LOLOL).
But how ever it happens, with luck....it only costs ya money and nothing more.

I'd end this with my usual salutation (ride safe!) but I don't want to pour salt in your wounds so.....
Be well.
Peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
glad you're ok!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:01 PM

I feel for you. I once parked a new bike with less than 2000 miles on the side stand and turned to walk away. Out of the corner of my eye I saw it going down. I grabbed it a second too late and couldn't keep it from hitting the ground. I didn't get the side stand all the way down and it wasn't in gear. I NEVER put a bike on the side stand now unless it's in gear.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Sad to hear of your drop at least your alright but it does hurt having to pay good money out to repair, hope you can find some good deals so you can reduce he financial hurt.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Glad you're Ok. I've grown kinda fond of my broken levers ( yes, both sides). Bought a can of Plasti Dip ($9.00) and covered the ends. Adds a little color to the bike. Actually, now that I think about it, they look a bit stupid but, hey, I'm cheep.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Glad you're Ok. I've grown kinda fond of my broken levers ( yes, both sides). Bought a can of Plasti Dip ($9.00) and covered the ends. Adds a little color to the bike. Actually, now that I think about it, they look a bit stupid but, hey, I'm cheep.
Yeah. I'm not proud of how many times my bike has tipped over and even crashed, but at this point I kind of like the fact that I don't even begin to worry about scars. I do remember that first drop, though, and I was purty upset as I recall.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM

Wind blew mine over in the first week. That hurts. Since then I added two items; the Acerbis hand guards, and the H-B engine guard that wraps around the front of the bike. The bike now will not break things from a tip over. That has happened more than once, and it just scuffs up the covers. My beloved 08 now has 25k and is the best bike in the stable by far.

Krazo - ride every day there's traction!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Another trick that was posted a while ago by fasteddie is to hide the scratches on your crash bars with black plastic electrical tape. Pure genius!
Thanks Ed.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Glad you are OK.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
MTS

Oh I know that feelin! :-( Really glad you are ok!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 08-29-2011 at 11:01 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good cheer everyone!

Worst thing bruised was my ego. Give a swift kick if you find that Murphy (murphy's law) for me.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode