Tire Plugs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Plugs

Guys- This has probably already been discussed on another thread buried deep within here...but what's the skinny on tire plugs for flat repair? Long term solution good for the remainder of the life of the tire, or temporary fix until a boot can be placed inside the tire?

Would your decision be different if it was a front tire vs a rear tire?

I picked up a big staple in my rear tire the other day; have a plug in the tire for now.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Dav

Done right I'd say they are fine...I have 3 plugs in my rear tyre atm, not sure I caught the 3rd one perfectly...air needs a top up every 2 weeks or so but then the tyre is almost due for replacement anyway. 1st plug was within a week of getting the PR2s installed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM

I don't have any issues plugging the front or rear on my bike.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM

Can someone recommend a good plugging kit? One that has good instructions, since I've not ever plugged a tire before.

thanks,
Caladan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I just bought a plug kit in the automotive section from WalMart- I believe Slime was the brand name. There are directions on the back of the package.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Dav

I use this kit...I've tried the "rope" style kits before and just ended up with a useless mess. Have mended around 10 punctures with these over the years, no probs
edit: glad to see some "rope" stylers chiming in...I suspect there's nothing wrong with that method, I simply couldn't make it work for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quick_Plug.JPG (68.7 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Dav; 08-22-2011 at 01:19 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
Can someone recommend a good plugging kit? One that has good instructions, since I've not ever plugged a tire before.

thanks,
Caladan
Everything you could want is here.http://www.stopngo.com/

Heres my set-up

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-21-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
I use this kit...I've tried the "rope" style kits before and just ended up with a useless mess. Have mended around 10 punctures with these over the years, no probs
I've used the "rope" style at least 4 times, and the plug functioned as designed till the ed of the tire(s) lifespan. I usually buy them at Autozone or Walmart. Here's an article: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/es...kit/index.html

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM

Garage
I bought a plug kit from the automotive section at Canadian Tire. Under 7 dollars. Rope style plugs. I used one 2 weeks ago on my rear tire after I pulled out a nail. The hole is in the grove of the tread, somewhat left of center. I have about 9,500kms on the OEM rear and plan to finish the season on the plugged tire. So far it holds up fine. I'll have to see how it holds air over the WInter.

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

I got this http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html in walmart for about $10 and a regular plug kit. You need a 12volt SAE connector to use the pump. before I got the pump I caary a set of 4 CO2 canisters. This is the same as the stop and go setup but a little cheaper.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
The "rope" plugs have worked fine for me, and I even plugged a nail hole in my wife's Nissan Maxima's tire. HOWEVER - that was one of the HARDEST chores I've done, getting the tool w/ the rope on it thru the tire !

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Everything you could want is here.http://www.stopngo.com/

Heres my set-up

IMG_0070 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thank you and the other person above for pointing out a place to purchase plug kits. Actually, I don't have a problem finding them. I could however use recommendations for kits that work well, or at least information on kits that do not work or that otherwise I should avoid.

Caladan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode