Got me a V - looking for a helmet - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got me a V - looking for a helmet

Pulled the trigger last night for $6299+tags and tax - which approximately comes to $6800.00. Not the best deal, but good enough. The Kawi demo ride dollars would have dropped it by $500, but I wasn't able to get one of those.

I am going to be traveling for a week, so I won't be picking it up for another week. Meanwhile, I am buying gear.

I am looking at an integrated bluetooth helmet and would prefer the modular ones. Anyone has one, and what do you think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Congrats on the new bike! Never tried a modular so no help there.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...odular+helmets

http://motodirect.com/category-1/1_4...e-Helmets.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...son/index.html

Good Luck..

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Welcome to the 'Verse'...
as for bluetooth, what with how stupid car drivers are while cell-phoning and driving....do ya really think that's the wisest decision?
regardless...Ride safe, be well.
Peace.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I did a lot of searches on the subject when i was looking for a bluetooth helmet. Most helmets that came with the bluetooth built into the helmets seemed lacking. So for me i picked the modular helmet i wanted The Scorpion EXO-900 and added the Scala Rider Q2. I've had this set-up since Feb 2010 and have no complaints i use it mostly to listen to music but not missing any pnone calls is handy. The volume is more than enough and i can be on a phone call doing 80mph and the person on the other end cannot believe i'm on a motorcycle.

Hope this helps

arril 014 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM

If you've got the coin, Schuberth's C3 modular is worth checking out. Not cheap and the BT gear is extra, but it gets lots of good press, though I can't speak from personal experience.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
If you've got the coin, Schuberth's C3 modular is worth checking out. Not cheap and the BT gear is extra, but it gets lots of good press, though I can't speak from personal experience.

Have been checking out the Schuberth's C3 very very nice helmet. $699.00 The Scala Bluetooth for that helmet.$399.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
Welcome to the 'Verse'...
as for bluetooth, what with how stupid car drivers are while cell-phoning and driving....do ya really think that's the wisest decision?
regardless...Ride safe, be well.
Peace.
I remember when all you needed was a few dimes in your pocket to make a call. I'm bewildered by how people are lost without a cell phone, are they so important that they must be constantly connected? I like to concentrate on the ride, no conversation, no music, just the wind and the engine. I do wear ear plugs to keep the volume reasonable. Sorry to step on some toes but ......aaahhh fugginfagedaboutit.!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The OP asked for information on modular helments with bluetooth. I sure he's like me and could care less about anyones view on thier uses.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The OP asked for information on modular helments with bluetooth. I sure he's like me and could care less about anyones view on thier uses.
[/QUOTE]Anyone has one, and what do you think of it?[/QUOTE]

He also asked this, a bit touchy aren't you?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Have been checking out the Schuberth's C3 very very nice helmet. $699.00 The Scala Bluetooth for that helmet.$399.00
I have a C3, and like it very much. It fits like a glove and is the quietest helmet I've ever owned. The Pinlock visor solves the fogging problem completely. There's a really good thread about them on the ADVrider forum.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
: I like to concentrate on the ride, no conversation, no music, just the wind and the engine. I do wear ear plugs to keep the volume reasonable. Sorry to step on some toes but ......aaahhh fugginfagedaboutit.!!!
+1...I like your style.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
+1...I like your style.
Thank you, it is about the ride isn't it?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

That What She Said

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
It sure is!

You anywhere near the Supermax?

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
It sure is!

You anywhere near the Supermax?
Yes, about 2 miles north of it.

Last edited by Nick; 08-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
I remember when all you needed was a few dimes in your pocket to make a call. I'm bewildered by how people are lost without a cell phone, are they so important that they must be constantly connected? I like to concentrate on the ride, no conversation, no music, just the wind and the engine. I do wear ear plugs to keep the volume reasonable. Sorry to step on some toes but ......aaahhh fugginfagedaboutit.!!!
I bluetooth my GPS to my helmet. Then I can keep my eyes on the road instead of being distracted by looking at the GPS.

For the original poster. Get a good helmet and then add bluetooth.

I picked up a Bell Star on closeout from www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and am very happy with the comfort, protection and vents on that helmet.

Several of my riding buds and myself got the SENA bluetooth communication system. We can converse while riding and if you want you can pair your phone, music, GPS, etc.

If you group ride being able to communicate is invaluable.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 AM

I believe Nolan also makes a modular that you can add their BT module to.

In the end, helmet buying is a lot more about what fits your head and your wallet than any other factors.

I wanted a C3 and had convinced my wife it fit the wallet. But the darn thing just did not fit my head. On the other hand, the Arai Vector 2 fit my head and was a much more comfortable fit to my wallet.

Go find a shop with lots of helmet lines and start trying them on.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I believe Nolan also makes a modular that you can add their BT module to.
Nolan actually provides two options; the N103, which is a flip-up modular, and the N43, which has a removable chinbar. I've had the N43 with the BT for nearly 2 years, and have been very happy with both the fit and the clarity.

Since much of my work during this time has involved being oncall with a short response time, having the BT has been the difference between riding a lot and not riding very much at all. Guess which choice I made...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I got HJC FS-15 carbon helmet (L) and it is light and nice, but I can't get it to fit me. The cheek pads are way tight but the head is loose - side to side more than back to fore. So I am going to return it.

I wanted to get the Akuma Phantom 2, but there aren't many dealers that are carrying it and it doesn't come with the photochromatic shield anymore.

I really don't know what to get at this point. The shop down the road has a Shoei and a schuberth that fit very nicely but they want 500 and 700 for respectively. My max budget is $400.00. I guess I have a roundish head from everything I have been reading and trying on.

The helmet shopping has become much more time consuming (and frustrating) than the actual motorcycle shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode