Recommended RPM - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Recommended RPM

Hello All,
I recently got my V and it was my first sporty bike (or at least the first I could see the Tach on... ) I am not really sure what the appropriate cruising RPM's are/ how often and when it is ok to go into higher RPM's. I've come from a cruiser and it was a whole different game.

Sometimes the best rides are the ones you don't plan.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Personally the most i ever get up to is 7500 or so but usually find myself 5500-6000 when cruisin' along

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 02:28 PM

my '09 is happy between 4 and 6 thousand rpm (57 to 80 mph in 6th gear)

in normal cruising I usually shift up @ around 5000...the V has great torque for a 650 and I have no need to play in the higher range.

Maybe it is age, or a couple of wrecks, but I find happiness below 80 mph

Cheers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the Versys as much as the rest of us do.

There is a great thread on this subject located here:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15383
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM

click here -> " Every which way but loose "

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 08-15-2011 at 04:22 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM

On the highway, I cruise around 5-6K where the V's engine seems to have a very nice "sweet spot".

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

On a recent road trip, I found the bike produces much better gas mileage if rev's are kept between 4-5 grand or 50-60mph approx., which is great for the back roads I was traveling. I received 10% or better mileage running at 4-5 thou. (350 kilometers took 15 liters)

Running on the super-slab revving her between 5-7 grand. It did run like a clock at 6,000 with occasional bursts to 7 or so for short periods though. I get less than 300 kilometers for the same 15 liters of fuel at the higher revs.

If it were the autobahn I'd be running between 6500 and 7500rpm and to heck with gas mileage, she runs nice and smooth at 7000 from my experience and just loves gobbling up the road. Alas we do have speed limits on this side of the pond, but the occasional burst to 7 sure does feel nice on the Versys (road and conditions permitting).

I think it likes any rev you throw at it so long as it isn't too prolonged at any one rev. and you mix it up a bit. I know I like it that way too!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 AM
ggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallua View Post
Hello All,
I recently got my V and it was my first sporty bike (or at least the first I could see the Tach on... ) I am not really sure what the appropriate cruising RPM's are/ how often and when it is ok to go into higher RPM's. I've come from a cruiser and it was a whole different game.
Any revs under 10,500 is fine, there is no real answer, i find over 6000rpm and the bike is very smooth, some times i short shift it is really is up to your mood, some times i run lower gear at higher rpm it has less vibes and instant power is available around 5 to 6rpm its great.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 AM

5k to 7k is normal cruising RPM for me. I'll drop it a couple gears and run it up to 9K from time to time just for the scream factor. If your bike hasn't been up around 9K yet, I suggest you give it a try. Yes, it screams at that RPM, but the engine is fully capable of handling that and more. It is a sportbike platform so don't be scared to wring it out from time to time. I think the power curve starts to decline after 9K anyway, so bouncing off the 10,500 rev limiter isn't necessarily going to help anything in terms of performance.

Eric

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies! I think I feel better cruising between 5-6k myself but I was a little worried this being my first performance engine and all. Your comments have put my anxiety to rest.

Now to get out and ride it like it was meant to be ridden!

Sometimes the best rides are the ones you don't plan.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM

For general cruising, my example (an '09) seems happiest between 3500 and 4700 RPM. It starts to get buzzy around 5k and smooths out again above 6k. It tends to lug below 3000 in any gear higher than 3rd. I'll nominally agree with Grandpa Ron about economy vs. revs (haven't done any real experimentation there, but my gut says he's right). Different bikes seem to behave slightly differently based on the responses to this question here and elsewhere, so the best answer I can give is to try different things. If something starts to feel right, it probably is.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM

My V is content between 4 & 5,000 RPMs. At 6,000 it gets positively giddy!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode