Back from 2nd Trip to Colorado this year - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Back from 2nd Trip to Colorado this year

Well I just got back into this lovely 110 degree heat in Dallas after leaving 50 to 80 degree's up in Colorado and I ain't happy about it. Anyway, I met my two sons up there and we rode all over central Colorado between Colorado Springs and Denver. Highlights were my first trip up Pikes Peak and a trip up Mt Evans. We also ran many back roads of which was the one along the Patte River. i think that we set a new record in Colorado with 3 Versys riding together.

Here's a few pictures.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. So THAT'S what my green will look like in Colorado, eh?

Next year, I hope to spend part of my 2 week vacation riding from Eugene, OR to Denver, CO and back again. I appreciate the motivating images!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM

If you are coming from the west you might want to take highway 40 across CO. Add two hours to the trip but you get to see this:

Actually the first two are a 60 mile detour from highway 40

Or you may come through I70 and stop in Grand Junction to see this:

A green does not look as good as a red against the background of the mountains.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the route suggestions!

Quote:
A green does not look as good as a red against the background of the mountains.
I may have to take that challenge... if I remember a year from now, that is.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Dallasdon, may I ask what the temperature variable was for you on your journey? Was the 50 degrees you mention in your post the low temp? It looks like you hit some pretty good elevations.

Thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM

It's all about the altitude
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Talking Great pics guys!!!!!!!!!!

count me in next time you guys do this..unless its a family thing...hey wait..my V is green,soooo am I family?....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM

I rode up to CO this past weekend. Staying Castle Rock. Saw two green Versys together at one of the Castle Rock exits (I think). Maybe that was you? I think this would have been on Friday. I was in my brothers truck.

I am also not happy to be back in the heat after riding in CO. Though there is too much traffic around the front range for my taste.
I came up through Durango and went home through Telluride. What a great place to ride.

I notice a lot of GS riders in Colorado and relatively few sport bike riders. Of course a huge amount of harley riders. I saw quite a few Versys in CO and actually several on the trip up/back including one between tucson and globe heading the opposite direction.

2000 miles for me. Versys ran strong.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I rode up to CO this past weekend. Staying Castle Rock.
I am also not happy to be back in the heat after riding in CO. Though there is too much traffic around the front range for my taste.
I came up through Durango and went home through Telluride. What a great place to ride.
2000 miles for me. Versys ran strong.
I agree I-25 from Colorado Springs to Ft Collins is pretty congested, though Phoenix is no picnic either. I stay off the interstate whenever possible. I have a couple of friends in Tucson, they keep bugging me to "come on down" but after spending some time in the Mesa/Phoenix area the heat just kills me. When in Az. I used to go to Payson, Heber and McNary, beautiful country. I hated to see those fires in Arizona, what a disaster.
I'm glad to see you did get to ride in SW Colorado mtns, that area is my favorite.

Last edited by Nick; 08-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Some more Colorado riding!

Did a trip a couple of weekends ago. We camped in the Chalk Creek area just south west of Buena Vista. We did Cottonwood, Hagerman, and Independence passes as well as Crested Butte, Vail and Leadville. All told we clocked about 450 miles.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsForVonski View Post
Dallasdon, may I ask what the temperature variable was for you on your journey? Was the 50 degrees you mention in your post the low temp? It looks like you hit some pretty good elevations.

Thanks!
I believe it was about 36 at the top of Mt. Evans and about 42 on the top of Pikes Peak. Down in the Springs, I think it got up to about 82 or so.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Well it looks like my last trip to Colorado caused my front wheel to become a casualty so I'm looking for another one. Going around some twisties about 60 or so, my rear tire broke loose, then grabbed the road again throwing me to the right and up the side of a mountain.

I held on and corrected the path of the bike back to the road but unfortunately hit a large rock on my way to recovery. Thankfully, the tire bead held and all was well, except for the rim. I don't know what caused the rear to break loose as they are Avon Distanzas and are really sticky. I must have hit a small rock during the turn in, causing a temporary loss of road contact.

Things could have turned out a whole lot worse. Everything else on the bike is fine.

So, if anyone has one or Knows of one please let me know. Looking for used, not new.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Well it looks like my last trip to Colorado caused my front wheel to become a casualty so I'm looking for another one. Going around some twisties about 60 or so, my rear tire broke loose, then grabbed the road again throwing me to the right and up the side of a mountain.

I held on and corrected the path of the bike back to the road but unfortunately hit a large rock on my way to recovery. Thankfully, the tire bead held and all was well, except for the rim. I don't know what caused the rear to break loose as they are Avon Distanzas and are really sticky. I must have hit a small rock during the turn in, causing a temporary loss of road contact.

Things could have turned out a whole lot worse. Everything else on the bike is fine.

So, if anyone has one or Knows of one please let me know. Looking for used, not new.
A Kiwi Versys bent his front wheel up on a off road ride following KLRs but managed to get it straigtened up for a few hundred dollers.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...99&postcount=1

Last edited by kiwi 41; 08-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up

Bummer about the wheel Don, but glad you got through unscathed yourself. I just got back to central Mexico from a round trip to Idaho with passes through CO both ways. Colorado and Idaho are my favorite Rocky Mountain motorcycling states. I'll likely post a report of my own once I settle back into the routine here.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode