Would you mind sharing what mods you think helped the most on a trip of this length.
For example, I would imagine you're not riding with a stock seat.
I started the trip using an Alaskan Sheepskin seat pad that I had previously used on my BMW R1100RT. It DID NOT work on V. I ordered a Soft Bottom gel seat cushion and had it shipped to a friend in Lake City, CO. The Soft Bottom worked quite well and cost approximately $125.00 with shipping. Here are the other mods I made to the bike:
- Givi windscreen (intend to add a Laminar Lip)
- Fenda Extenda (seemed to protect the radiator adequately)
- LSL frame sliders (personal preferance over crash bars)
- Acerbis Dual Road handguards (worked well for bug and rain deflection)
- Motowerk handlebar riser (improved riding position)
- Motowerk Flatfoot (this is a "must" for the V)
- Skidmarx hugger (worked well for keeping water and dirt off the electronics)
- H-T 7.5" Teton panniers (tight on space but are within the width of the handlebars)
- H-T pannier top bags (much more useful than I expected)
- Cortech Super Mini tank bag (very compact and quite handy)
- Powerlet 12v socket (used to charge cell phone/GPS and power Cycle pump)
- Harbor Freight rear swingarm spools
- Dunlop Road Smart tires (big improvement over OEM)
My gear included a Cycle pump Adventure Model that I used to adjust tire pressure between the rather extreme elevations.