520 Chain Question - Preferred Master Link - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
520 Chain Question - Preferred Master Link

I will start off and admit that I have not been very good at keeping my chain lubed properly--something I will now be more diligent about. I wore out the stock chain at 14000 miles and now my after market chain is heading towards needing replaced soon with only 15000 miles. (I replaced front and rear sprockets at the same time I did the chain).

My question for the forum is what is "your" preferred master/connector link? I presently using the EK Chain brand Screw Type connector link. Before I pull the trigger on what I am ordering new I was looking for other feed back. The other option I would consider is the Rivet Type but that requires the $100 tool.

The Clip Type would cause me extra worry to make sure it never came loose but I have one of those on my KLR and it has never given me any grief.

Any input would be appreciated--thanks!

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM

I use the rivet type because my buddy has the tool to do it, but I would not hesitate to use the clip type if I needed to, and I have in the past. As long as you get it clipped in there securely and mounted correctly (the back/closed end of the clip facing the front of the bike) you will be good. I have broken chains in the past, but I have never had a master link failure, clip or rivet.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up

I don't care for the clip personally, but have used them successfully before.

I am currently using the new EK screw type. It has been on there for at least 4000 miles and I've not had any issue with it. (Make sure you break off the extended screw part before you test it! Once you do that, it doesn't cause any interference with the guards on the V.)

Simple to install and no special tool required (to install). I recommend at minimum carrying one with you for road-side repair.

(Link for those unfamiliar)

When I had my bike inspected, the dealer asked about the strange master link. It did ultimately pass inspection, but I was worried for a moment.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.

Last edited by acinonyx; 08-02-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added dealer story

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

How tight did you turn the engagement nuts when installing the screw type master link? EK does not provide clear instructions or a torque range. When I installed mine I was worried about under-tightening it to avoid possible back-out and may have slightly over-tightened it where it hangs up a little bit when no tension is pulling on its pivot points. In order words it does not float as well as all of the other links.

Thanks a lot!

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM

I install my ek chain and with the screw type master link , there were no torque specs. the instructions said to slowly tightin each nut 1/8th a turn at a time and measure the distance on the outsideface plates of the master link and to stop tighting the nuts when chain and master link measurement were the same. Then back the nuts off the link and snap off the posts. I used a dial claiper for the measurements. Hope it helps. Ride safe.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Look for sales on the rivet tool. I picked up mine at cycle gear for only 30 dollars.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 AM

I use the riveting type. Used to use clip type master links but several times I found the clips missing, usually after riding gravel. The link itself never failed on me but who needs the anxiety? A good riveting tool will have a fitting for pressing the outside plate onto the pins so you no longer have to curse the inventer of vise-grips. If you find the ML is too tight to move freely after flaring the heads on the pins (or over-tightening the screws), I would suggest installing a new ML.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I use the riveting type. Used to use clip type master links but several times I found the clips missing, usually after riding gravel. The link itself never failed on me but who needs the anxiety?
All I can say is I have NEVER, ever, had a clip fall off a ML in 30+ years experience. On off-road bikes, that is all I use and I have never had one fall off my dirt bike chains, and that is in a racing environment. I've used them on street bikes for thousands and thousands of miles too with no problems whatsoever. I believe the problems come from when they are installed incorrectly (fairly easy to do--clip not all the way in all the grooves or put on backwards) or the same clip gets used over and over again (often done) and becomes weak or fatigued. Use a fresh clip and install it correctly, and it's good to go for as long as your chain is IMO. I only run the rivet type on my streetbikes because I usually just put the chain on once and run it 20,000+ miles and then replace it. On my dirtbikes, I am frequently taking the chain off to clean it.

Just my .02c....
To each his own, because it's nice to be anxiety free.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I believe I installed them correctly but I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect. It does seem odd that it would happen to me twice and you never in all your years. Anyway, the rivet type works well for me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I believe I installed them correctly but I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect. It does seem odd that it would happen to me twice and you never in all your years. Anyway, the rivet type works well for me.
I hear ya' brother! I'm far from perfect too--nothing ever falls off my bikes, but I can't count how many bolts I've stripped or threads I've bunged up over the years over-tightening stuff!

I asked a couple of my "moto buddies" today (one is a mechanic) and they both said the same thing: they have never heard of a brand new, properly installed clip falling off a ML. One guy said he had one fall off once, but confessed that had used the clip at least half a dozen times and knew it was all stretched out when he put it on the last time.

Regardless, if I had two fail as you have, I would also be a dyed-in-the-wool rivet (or screw) type guy myself!

Those screw type ML's look interesting to me--I have never used one before. I'll be due for for a chain on my V in a few thousand miles and I might give one a try just to see how it works out.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
All I can say is I have NEVER, ever, had a clip fall off a ML in 30+ years experience. On off-road bikes, that is all I use and I have never had one fall off my dirt bike chains, and that is in a racing environment. I've used them on street bikes for thousands and thousands of miles too with no problems whatsoever. I believe the problems come from when they are installed incorrectly (fairly easy to do--clip not all the way in all the grooves or put on backwards) or the same clip gets used over and over again (often done) and becomes weak or fatigued. Use a fresh clip and install it correctly, and it's good to go for as long as your chain is IMO. I only run the rivet type on my streetbikes because I usually just put the chain on once and run it 20,000+ miles and then replace it. On my dirtbikes, I am frequently taking the chain off to clean it.

Just my .02c....
+1
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Just my .02c....
+2

I never had any issues with the clips on the 520 chains used on my motocross racers, so I wouldn't expect any problems on a hard-ridden V.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
...As long as you get it clipped in there securely and mounted correctly (the back/closed end of the clip facing the front of the bike) you will be good....

To clarify the above quote: there was a saying in the 'dawn of time' regarding master links - fish swim UPSTREAM! The link looks a little like a fish, so its head faces the FRONT OF THE BIKE on the UPPER chain run thus swimming upstream, but will face the REAR on the bottom run. (Pretty sure that's what you meant, but some of the members are nubes.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
To clarify the above quote: there was a saying in the 'dawn of time' regarding master links - fish swim UPSTREAM! The link looks a little like a fish, so its head faces the FRONT OF THE BIKE on the UPPER chain run thus swimming upstream, but will face the REAR on the bottom run. (Pretty sure that's what you meant, but some of the members are nubes.)

I had trouble trying to figure out how to word that clearly, but you've done it!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode