XR1200-Anyone ridden one? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
XR1200-Anyone ridden one?

If you have a Versys and have ridden an XR1200 please let me know how the bikes compare. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 AM

I'll assume you're talking about the XR1200X? That's the closest thing Harley makes to a motorcycle. I test rode one at Sturgis last year.

Comparing it to a Verseys? That's like comparing a '78 Mercury to a Subaru WRX. The XR1200 is a good effort by Harley but it's still just a Harley. It's heavy. It handles heavy. The engine doesn't spin fast enough to really stabilize the bike like we're used to. The suspension on the 1200 is nice. It's got lots of tractor-like power, a lot more than the Verseys and it keeps pulling hard until well over 100mph. I had it up to 110. But the throttle response is a ton slower because it's just a Harley. In a road race, the Verseys would walk all over it. On the track at Telladega, the XR1200 would walk all over the Verseys. 2 completely different animals.

Was that any help to you?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Both standards, both with twin cyliner engines, modern sportbike rubber, decent suspension, brakes that function, EFI, good handling, capable of easily breaking speed laws, etc. etc.

I like it and I like it a LOT! I've ridden one at the local demo event. Sure it's a tractor compared to the Versys but it makes speed and does it pretty well. You will need to get used to the paint shaker effect at idle but once moving it calms down quite nicely.

I would consider owning one.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Oh my god, I never thought of these two bikes at the same time before! They're so different.

I really, really wanted to like the XR1200X, but after test riding it twice, I was unimpressed. It's pretty fast, and I'm sure it's the best handling Harley ever, but the riding position was awkward, it felt really crude and agricultural, there's zero wind protection, and the styling leaves me cold.

Now, one of THESE!

Storz_XR_1200.jpg

2011 Versys
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
MTS

I love bikes! And I would love to test XR12 some time! It has more lbs than the V.
I just finished my freedom ride I do every year! It is so much fun on the V! Do yourself a favor. Find a little dirt road with some turns and take the V for a ride when its dry! Stop at a friends house jump on four wheelers and head down to the river and run all over. Than jump back on your V and head home! Oh stop and shoot four gophers too Ha Ha! And yes I carry a gun on my hip when I ride sometimes. Hell I'm in Montana!! I have so much gratitude for my freedom!! Enjoy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
And yes I carry a gun on my hip when I ride sometimes.
Sometimes? You need to work on that!

The one time you leave it at home.......
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
If you have a Versys and have ridden an XR1200 please let me know how the bikes compare. Thanks.
Since I'm here you know what bike I chose. I took the XR1200 on a long 1.5 hour test drive before I bought my Versys. It's a very attractive bike but riding one was a bit of a disappointment. The XR1200 just seems to me to be grossly over priced for what you get performance, handling and comfort wise. You really need to drive one, especially back to back with other bikes like the Versys to appreciate this comment. IMO, it's a sporty option for people who only buy/ride Harley Davidson. You can buy the similar styled Triumph Speed Triple for about the same amount of money as the XR1200 - there is no contest.

Last edited by Sprocket; 07-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I really liked my 06 Sportster 1200R I just didn't like the riding position . My Sportster had more than enough performance for me as I ride mellow most of the time. I like standards so the XR 1200 is one of the few choices I have. I was hoping the longer wheelbase would make for a less aggresive bike. I dislike most Harleys BTW.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I love all bikes and would have one of everything in my barn if I could. I think every bike brings something different to the table and I love diversity. I would not choose to ride my KLR nor my Mean Streak on a 450 mile day on the interstate but they both shine in their prefered environment.
To the original poster, if you can only get one bike try and figure out what kind of riding you want to do and then get the bike that fits. If you want to ride on the interstate, or in cold weather you would want a bike with good wind protection. If you are a fair weather rider who only rides in town, etc.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM
djg

I was considering buying a solid mount Sportster and modifying it to my liking. I even have a bunch of parts I bought. Then I found an '09 Versys for really cheap last July.

If you go to xlforums you can see a lot people have done a lot of mods to their Sportsters to end up with something similar to the XR1200.

My point is there is nothing about the XR that you couldn't do yourself, and end up with a better, lighter bike. Gosh, that exhaust must be so heavy. Supertrapp makes a couple of exhausts so much better and lighter.

I agree that for someone who would only look at Harleys, the XR is very sporty. And no, I haven't been on an XR1200.

Check out www.mulemotorcycles.net for some very nice bikes.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
- Unbraced steel perimeter frame the engine sits on rather than being a stressed member
- Dual rear shocks with short travel suspension
- Conventional damper rod forks
- Unbalanced cast iron, air cooled, VTwin

A state of the art bike by 1980's technology standards and a steel at only $13,000+CDN

IMO this is a retro styling exercise like the Triumph Bonneville designed to appeal more on it's looks than ride.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
- Unbraced steel perimeter frame the engine sits on rather than being a stressed member
- Dual rear shocks with short travel suspension
- Conventional damper rod forks
- Unbalanced cast iron, air cooled, VTwin

A state of the art bike by 1980's technology standards and a steel at only $13,000+CDN

IMO this is a retro styling exercise like the Triumph Bonneville designed to appeal more on it's looks than ride.
Get out much?

It is not a perimeter frame but yes the engine is hung from said frame. So what manufacturers have been rubber mounting engines forever.

They have not used cast tron heads on these in...well a long time, 1986 but who's counting....

Front and rear suspension that IS rebound, compression and preload adjustable...try that on your Versys.

EFI, Floating front rotors, keyless ignition, security alarm digital and analog instrumentation, Modern Sport bike rubber, etc. etc.

Lose the stereotypes....

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Get out much?

It is not a perimeter frame but yes the engine is hung from said frame. So what manufacturers have been rubber mounting engines forever.

They have not used cast tron heads on these in...well a long time, 1986 but who's counting....

Front and rear suspension that IS rebound, compression and preload adjustable...try that on your Versys.

EFI, Floating front rotors, keyless ignition, security alarm digital and analog instrumentation, Modern Sport bike rubber, etc. etc.

Lose the stereotypes....
Suspension was not adjustable except for pre load on the model I test rode. It is also rock hard with little compliance compared to the V. Shifting is slow and heavy and the red line is at ~5500 RPM. It weighs a good 100lb more than the V. Ok I was wrong on the cast iron engine but imo nothing else.

I wanted to like this bike when I rode it at a demo day. It was not bad and I enjoyed the ride. It's just that it was not comparable to other bikes in the same price range. You can get a lot of much nicer bikes for what an XR1200 costs IMO.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-21-2011 at 08:08 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I don't buy on spec. I go strictly with cool factor and if the bike makes me smile. After surviving brain surgery (and a complete loss of balance) 18 months ago I never thought I would ride again. A bike with less performance would not limit me in any way. A cruiser is probably ideal for me but I like the seating position and visibility of standards and dual sports. I was hoping the XR1200 would be midway between my Versys and a cruiser. Thanks for all the info and help.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I go strictly with cool factor and if the bike makes me smile.
That's how I ended up with the 2011 Versys. Kawi ticket to ride event. Chose the Versys over the Concours, Ninja 1000, and all the other bikes I rode. I also chose it over an almost new '09 that I could have got for $1900 less.

If you get off the bike after a ride and can just walk away from it without looking back to admire it, you may have bought the wrong bike.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
I own both a 2009 Versys with Kawasaki hard saddles and a 2011 Harley Davidson xr1200x. I love them both but you cannot compair the two, apples and oranges.

The Versys is lighter smoother and more nimble. The xr1200x is more powerful, sounds better, very solid and in my opinion has that cool factor and is an exeptionally beautifull bike. I will keep both. My versys also has the givi windscreen and my xr has no wind protection at all. Just different I enjoy them both for different reasons. The Versys is very economical and both bikes have fairly easy maintinence.

The Harley could be an allrounder like the Versys but still a much different bike alltogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode