Someone has done it - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Someone has done it

I just know someone has. These bikes have been out for 4 years now? Someone by now must have built an off-road adventure bike out of one of these. I mean I bought mine for the street and I love it for that. But I'm thinking maybe if I came across a V that was inexpensive and beat up, it would be fun to try to fit a front end off of a KTM Super Enduro, 950 Adventure or the like on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
I just know someone has. These bikes have been out for 4 years now? Someone by now must have built an off-road adventure bike out of one of these. I mean I bought mine for the street and I love it for that. But I'm thinking maybe if I came across a V that was inexpensive and beat up, it would be fun to try to fit a front end off of a KTM Super Enduro, 950 Adventure or the like on there.
Several people have created a dual sport bikes out of t V. from changing the tires out to all out rebuild like JD has done. Most people look at mine and think its dual sport because of the hand and engine guards, Trax boxes and auxiliary lighting. but in reality I haven't done anything that will improve off-road performance. Once the stock tires wear I out I will be replacing them with a dual sport tire.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM

There's also a MAJOR big-bux $$$ build documented on advrider with wire wheels, upgraded suspension, and lots more. I can't find it right now...

2011 Versys
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

How about a 21" front wheel? Has anyone done that?

What are you guys using for dual sport tires? All I can find for our bikes are crotch rocket tires. That is other than that one set of Avons.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM

It would be cheaper to buy a KLR, and add bags to it. Work a lot better too. I took my V on Hoosier and Jones Pass in Colorado . . .you have to mod mod mod to take a V offroad. Keep the frame and engine, all the rest needs to be changed.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Already have a KLR. That has its limitations. I'm thinking a poor man's version of the GS800 or Triumph Adventure.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501343

Dr AT: "Ron (the owner) did all the modifications and I didn't really quiz him much on it. Everything is custom built and he's usually only interested in doing once of specials rather than churing out more of the same. Suffice to say the forks are out of a husky enduro bike, the shock has been built by joining an MX shock body to the standard shaft, about 20 Kg of "junk" has been removed, and I can't keep up with him down hills (I'm riding a 640 adv)."

ER6 engine in KLR650:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
21" wheel on the versys can be done very easily, or with some machining, depending on the forks you want to use. the rear spoked wheel to match is also another consideration. then there's the rear suspension and overall bike geometry.

the best compromise and by far the easiest is to just run a 19" front. discussion and recipe here-

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=5480&page=8

a real good performer with TKCs, and although not a dirt bike, it will eat up those gravel roads. plus, you keep the tubeless tires and stock double disc calipers (with the strom rotors), an advantage.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Ok. That made me sprout wood.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
There's also a MAJOR big-bux $$$ build documented on advrider with wire wheels, upgraded suspension, and lots more. I can't find it right now...
This one: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3310

Best one I've seen!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
MTS

Wow! As I look at the photos. Is the power plant and lights versys and the rest like KLR? That is beyond my ability to mod like that! Very cool though!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
i'm all about tinkering and having something unique, but 12k for a versys that's probably still marginal at best off road?

you can almost get a ktm adv 990r for that kind of money.. not to mention the other, cheaper bikes that will probably do a better job without relying on hard to find custom parts for repair..

but props to him for having a unique v

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Yup, that's the best one I've seen. We'll find it...

EDIT: Oops, you guys found it already.
Some of that stuff I wouldn't mind having. Big dollars though. The laced up wheels are just killer. Good suspension too. The motor on the V is pretty good as is, but suspension and handling really suffer off pavement.

When we were up in the Sierras I let the air down to 22lbs and suspension on full soft and went dirt road riding. Handled really well, I was super surprised. I tried blasting and braking to try to find limits of traction and couldn't without getting way out of shape, and I didn't want to crash my pristine bike.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 07-20-2011 at 07:09 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
i'm all about tinkering and having something unique, but 12k for a versys that's probably still marginal at best off road?

you can almost get a ktm adv 990r for that kind of money.. not to mention the other, cheaper bikes that will probably do a better job without relying on hard to find custom parts for repair..

but props to him for having a unique v
There are a ton of decent old motocross bikes out there being parted out with front ends with USD forks and 21" spoked front wheels. I did a front end swap on my KLR with a KX500 front end earlier this summer and the improvement was unbelievable. Just took a little lathe work. That's why I think if someone blew up a bike like a Katoom Super Enduro or something like that and is parting it out, the front end could probably be had for $300-$500. Even the front end off a DRZ 400 would work but I don't think it would be worth the bother. If a person got a Verseys cheap enough, it would be fun to tinker like that. But you're right. Having $12,000 in the project is not something I would want.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

The Deezer forks are not junk, there's just so much other stuff out there than can be had that's lighter, stronger, better valving, etc. Lots of bikes getting parted out these days thanks to 4 stroke motocross bikes. They cost more to rebuild than they're worth a lot of times. It would be nice to find something off a heavier adventure bike with decent brakes too. With the KX500 front end on the KLR I had to get an oversize rotor and steel braided brake lines so the brake actually did something.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

What did you get those wheels off of? How much modifying did you have to do to get them to fit?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

That's pretty neat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode