(Soon to be) Re-United! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Soon to be) Re-United!

Back in February I shipped my Versys to Germany to be there for a ride that begins a few days from now. Here it is just before it was shipped.

I've been missing it BAD! We'll see if it's as great as I remember it, or if absence has indeed made my heart grow fonder.

Tomorrow I get on a plane to Frankfurt, then rendezvous with the V where it's staying in Heidelberg. Then on Thursday I'll head south towards Austria and the Grossglockner pass and beyond. I'm doing a ride to raise money for a cancer charity, and the challenge of the ride is to ride (bag) the ten highest paved passes in the Alps plus forty more in seven days. The Grossglockner is the furthest east of the ten, so from there I will be heading west crossing between Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and concluding in France. You can learn about the fundraising effort here, and you can follow my progress captured by a SPOT satellite tracker here.

I'll post up an RR afterwards. If any European members want to meet up en route, shoot me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Be careful! Europeans are like children wen it comes to cars. They all drive like maniacs. That sounds like a fun trip. Good luck! Have fun!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Now THAT sounds like fun !!! Also for a very good cause. Good luck, enjoy yourself, stay safe and take lots of pictures (post them here of course).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
Be careful! Europeans are like children wen it comes to cars. They all drive like maniacs. That sounds like a fun trip. Good luck! Have fun!
Thanks, I will.

FWIW, I've ridden in France and Italy before, and I actually like riding around European drivers. At least they pay attention to their surroundings.

Thanks for your good wishes. I can't wait!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Safe ride and a very honourable cause to ride.

wish you all the best.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Sounds like a great trip,all the best.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Be safe. That sounds truly nifty
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I'm with the V now. Washed it, set the tire pressures. Took care of a few other odds and ends. My host took me to the "motorcycle row" in nearby Mannheim. A few dealers and two big accessory stores, one called Polo and the other called Louis. Apparently both are German chains. Ended up picking up a pair of boots and a few other odds and ends (TSA took the chain lube out of my luggage). Start riding tomorrow. Hoping the rain will stop, but it's just sprinkling now, so not a big deal.

Kurt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Whoo Hoo, the "Big Ten"! Looks like a great adventure! Enjoy and on holding for your RR.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Whoo Hoo, the "Big Ten"! Looks like a great adventure! Enjoy and on holding for your RR.
It'll be coming, but I'm kinda fried just now. Left Heidelberg this AM in the sun, but rode about half the day in the rain. Today was kind of a comedy of errors. Hope that's out of the way because tomorrow begins the Alps!

In a pretty neat little town in Bavarie called Schongau. Will try to take some pics in early morning light.

Switched the speedo to metric this AM, and saw an indicated 187 (about 114 mph) briefly on the autobahn. Not really the V's thing, but I had to get out of some of the traffic I put myself in down by the Boden See, and the autobahn did the trick. Gotta watch the mirrors on the V.

Later!

Kurt

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Awesome trip I wish I had the time...

btw I saw 211 on my speedo with a top box

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

A teaser from the top of Stelvio Pass. The Versys is a BRILLIANT alpine bike.

Kurt

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Video clip of Col d'Izoard

Taken from a Contour HD on a handlebar mount on the V. Headed up the Col d'Izoard.

. No editing, no music. Just raw video.

Kurt

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Awesome clip Some raw beauty there.
Keep your eyes on the road, man it looks narrow for two way traffic with bicycles too, and few guardrails.

Looks like some extreme fun!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Awesome clip Some raw beauty there.
Keep your eyes on the road, man it looks narrow for two way traffic with bicycles too, and few guardrails.

Looks like some extreme fun!
Thanks!

Izoard, or Col de Eddie Izzard as my Brit buddy calls it, is a tremendously scenic pass, and the desert area on the south side is amazing. I really love that pass, but believe it or not, it's not all that narrow by high alpine standards. We've been on a couple the past few days where two cars could not easily pass, and one or two where you could not readily get a motorcycle past a car. Passo di Gavia and Col de Cayolle are two like that. I've got a bunch of editing to do.

In the meantime, here's the down side of Col d'Izoard.

Kurt

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

A ride report will be forthcoming on this, but in the meantime, a few comments and some more vids.

First, I love the Versys. So much so that I'm going to buy another soon. The Tiger is going, and it will be replaced by a Versys.

Second - and I don't expect many folks to agree with me here - in the right circumstances the Versys is a serious performance bike. In seven days of riding solo through the Alps, I was overtaken by motorcycles other than those in our group precisely twice.

Other than tires and rear shock, my Versys does not have any performance upgrades. Three things I'd wished I'd done: put a quick turn throttle on it, gone down a tooth on the countershaft, and put braided lines on it. There are other things too, but those would be my highest priorities. My next Versys will get those and more.

Now some vids. First is from a favorite little goat trail called the Col de la Sarenne. It's sort of the back side of the Alpe d'Huez for those of you who are Tour de France fans. Note the drainage channels across the road done in pave'.

Kurt

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I did the Grossglockner & Stelvio this summer too! Great roads, almost didn't come back ;-) but I rented a NT700 Honda Duaville. How much did shipping cost?

I hope you have the Autobahn sticker on your bike. Austrian and Switzerland fine big time if you don't!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

A Little Action from the Dolomites

Following my friend, Matt on his FZ6 up the Passo Sella in the Dolomites.

Kurt

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I did the Grossglockner & Stelvio this summer too! Great roads, almost didn't come back ;-) but I rented a NT700 Honda Duaville. How much did shipping cost?

I hope you have the Autobahn sticker on your bike. Austrian and Switzerland fine big time if you don't!
The Grossglockner was cool, but it didn't rock my world. The Stelvio on the other hand was just amazing! Big, big fun!

Yeah, I bought the Austrian sticker, then didn't use it. Took a pass on the Swiss one, and never needed it.

Kurt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode