25 miles till the dirty newness is gone - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
25 miles till the dirty newness is gone

Sitting at 575 miles now. Heavy rains and wierd work schedule put me behind on the break in. So one more oil change tonight. A small road trip to meet ScottyNeal tomorrow and I will be past my initial break in.

Got to make a phone call to the mechanic for my first service and then let the mileage gains begin. Going to try and hop a trip over the weekend to western maryland in the next two weeks. I'm just happy my softbags fit on my versys from my previous bike (2008 Ninja 250).

Now that I'm almost done with break in. It's time to explore some farkles.

Thinking the following is in order:

Engine Guards (leaning towards the SW Motech bit more research to do before final decision)
Highway pegs so I can stretch my legs a bit.
Hard bag mounts and cases (haven't decided what I will do there)
Accessory outlet and GPS mount
Hand guards (so those stupid carpenter bees stop hitting my delicate bass playing hands)

Comfortable with doing minor electrical work and mounting, anything too mechanical and I defer to experts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
djg

FWIW, I went with SW Motech crash bars, Barkbuster hand guards, and Givi side bag mounts, all from Twisted Throttle. They all fit fine. The Barkbusters did have a couple of bolts too short for their intended install. SW Motech has highway pegs that go on their bars, I don't have experience with them.

And a Ram ball mount that replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 AM

I had my 2011 back to the shop a couple weeks ago for the 600 mile service. I asked them what they did besides an oil change. They told me they check all accessible fasteners, lube all cables and pivots, clean, lube, and adjust the chain, and most important, check the throttle body synch.

When I picked it up, I asked if the throttle bodies were out of synch. The manager asked the mechanic, and he said, yeah, he tweaked them a bit even though they were probably fine.

I'm happy with what they did, but the worst part was... $200 bucks! (with synthetic oil)

2011 Versys

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
FWIW, I went with SW Motech crash bars, Barkbuster hand guards, and Givi side bag mounts, all from Twisted Throttle. They all fit fine. The Barkbusters did have a couple of bolts too short for their intended install. SW Motech has highway pegs that go on their bars, I don't have experience with them.
Avoid the highway pegs, they're junk.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

good news bad news? Meh its all in how you look at it I guess

I literally knocked the new off today when I went to pick up my low gel seat from Scotty.

I went down. Me, stock tires, gravel and a downhill just didn't mix. Jacket saved me from some scratches as did my boots. Got some cosmetic damage to the V but its all good. Need to replace my clutch lever. Other than that everything is easily fixed.

Oh well. I'd rather a less than 10MPH drop than a 50+ mph skid.

But man regardless of the light damage to the V I got to meet a great person, see some nifty sights and that more than makes up for a tiny scuffing. Also learned I can heft my V up with little diffculty. I'll leave the dirt roads to the guys with the knobby tires and enjoy the highways, byways and side streets...for now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you and V are OK.

Ride safe and ATGATT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode