I took a 215 mile day trip two weeks ago and have some questions. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I took a 215 mile day trip two weeks ago and have some questions.

I want to start off by saying that my ass hurt for 3 days after this ride. My longest had only been a few 60 mile rides so my butt didn't know what it was in for. I'm thinking about getting the airhawk medium cushion. Good remedy for my crappy stock seat issue? I'd rather not spend 500 on a custom seat.

Also,how would you know if you need to raise up your handle bars?

Highway peg(s) are a must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Just ordered my Airhawk small today (138.00 on amazon) also have a large from my other bike that I've been sharing between them, but was a bit too large. Air hawks are great. Love mine.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mcampana, is this your first bike? Have you done other 200 mile days on other bikes? If not your butt might just need a little breaking in ;-) I found that seat fatigue varied a lot based on the kind of pants I was wearing. Jeans made it feel like I was sitting on my nads. Loose shorts in my riding suit were much better.

The Versys does have a horrible seat, but there are some less expensive fixes than an Airhawk. I bought an Alaska leather sheepskin ($50) and an REI inflatable camp pillow ($25). It worked well, I'd adjust the pressure at each stop on the camp pillow and it felt like a new seat after each stop. But it was all a stop gap for a Russell seat. How many miles do you actually hope to do in a day? If your trying to work up to over 500, I'd recommend saving for a seat, its the only real fix. If your just wanting to do the 200-400 mile days, then an Airhawk or sheep skin should do the trick just fine.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Was considering an airhawk a couple weeks back. Still might get one down the road. Have made a few more 300+ mile rides since.

Have found out that if I get off the bike and stretch and walk, even if only for 5 minutes every 75 minutes, no arse pain during or after the ride. If I go longer than 75 minutes, I hurt on the bike and some after I finish.

Works for me! Good luck!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Fellow forum member Alours and I took about a 1000 mile round trip in early June. The trip was heavily weighted on the first and last days in which we traveled well over 400 miles in each of those days. (the last day rained every inch of the way home) He and I both have Corbin seats and easily weathered the trip.

So I agree with what Lonerockz says, the long term solution may be a seat.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Check out my build thread for highway pegs. Seems like you just need more time in the saddle. When I started riding, 50 was a long ride. Then 100 was a long ride. As you ride, you get used to how you feel and gain stamina. Now, 1000 is a long day for me.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Check out my build thread for highway pegs. Seems like you just need more time in the saddle. When I started riding, 50 was a long ride. Then 100 was a long ride. As you ride, you get used to how you feel and gain stamina. Now, 1000 is a long day for me.
Gonna need to agree with that point. Right now, 200 miles feels like a short morning ride. But then again, I do nearly 70 a day just getting back and forth to work.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Here is something that really helped me. It allow me more of an "upright" position and took a lot of pressure off my wrists and arms, which allowed me to sit further back on the seat.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=268

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I am Lazy, whats the link to the build thread?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM

mcampana -- I had the same issues you mention. Couldn't enjoy the bike for rides of any significant distance. See link below for my current situation. I will also agree though, that one needs to build up some endurance in the saddle. Good luck.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15901

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Mcampana, is this your first bike? Have you done other 200 mile days on other bikes? If not your butt might just need a little breaking in ;-) I found that seat fatigue varied a lot based on the kind of pants I was wearing. Jeans made it feel like I was sitting on my nads. Loose shorts in my riding suit were much better.

The Versys does have a horrible seat, but there are some less expensive fixes than an Airhawk. I bought an Alaska leather sheepskin ($50) and an REI inflatable camp pillow ($25). It worked well, I'd adjust the pressure at each stop on the camp pillow and it felt like a new seat after each stop. But it was all a stop gap for a Russell seat. How many miles do you actually hope to do in a day? If your trying to work up to over 500, I'd recommend saving for a seat, its the only real fix. If your just wanting to do the 200-400 mile days, then an Airhawk or sheep skin should do the trick just fine.
I'd agree you need to acclimatise your arse to the bike, gradually building up the miles

Last year I did several 500+ mile days, quite a few 300+ mile days over a five week period, did some 8,000+ miles over that time

I did have an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad but didnt' really think that madse any difference so didn't always use it.

yes there were some days when it was as numb as whatever....
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM

I had Spencer rebuild the seats on my Versys and my ST1300. That's his business, he's really good.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Tell him Bones sent you.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
I want to start off by saying that my ass hurt for 3 days after this ride. My longest had only been a few 60 mile rides so my butt didn't know what it was in for. I'm thinking about getting the airhawk medium cushion. Good remedy for my crappy stock seat issue? I'd rather not spend 500 on a custom seat.

Also,how would you know if you need to raise up your handle bars?

Highway peg(s) are a must.
I agree with those that suggested maybe your arse will acclimate with more mileage. This really does happen. I spend hundreds of hours a year on HARD dirt-bike seats, and ride 75-100 miles everyday getting to and from work plus errands, and my butt rarely gives me trouble. In fact, I did an IBA Saddle Sore 1,000 on the stock seat earlier this year. Some people might find that surprising. Yeah, there were times I got some discomfort, but nothing a riding position shift every hour or 1/2 hour and a short walk around every gas stop didn't cure. When I finished, I wasn't "walking funny," nor did I suffer any discomfort the following days. My point is when it comes to riding, everybody's butt is different and has different "tolerances," and a lot of that has to do with how much you ride IMO.

Now, having said that.... I just completed at 970 mile (probably something more like 930-940 with speedo error) ride in a little over 26 hours--we took in a baseball game (a little over 3 hrs.), ate two sit-down meals, and slept for 5 hrs. I knew I was going on this ride, and I had read reports here from people who had decided on different seat mods (from their own, to Baldwins, Corbins, Airhawks, sheepskin, etc.) to gain "all day comfort," so I decided to give "that" a try. I ran across this (see pic) gel seat pad at Wallyworld and it was like $20, so I thought why not? OMG it was incredible! I found myself draining tanks of gas and not even thinking about my butt or changing positions because by backside was grumbling. This will be my new companion on future distance rides. I won't bother with it on shorter rides though. Might be something to consider as a "budget option."

As far as bar position, here's what I do: I sit on the bike in a natural, comfortable upright riding position. I then lift my hands putting the back of my hands towards my shoulders and then just let my hands fall forward naturally. Where ever they land is where I put my bars. Sometimes I might feel like I want to stretch my arms a bit more, so I will roll the bars forward a bit, other times I might want a more aggressive posture, so I roll them back a bit. That's one of the things I really enjoy about the V: you basically have unlimited bar position options, in really tiny increments if you desire: you can experiment until you find something that works for you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1212.jpg (373.0 KB, 101 views)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Rocky,thanks for the advice about my bars. I am almost thinking they may be a touch too low.

And to the rest ofof you,I'd like to bbe able to ttake ssome decent 300 to 400 mile one way,trips on the bike. But because own my own business and don't get pto I don't take as much time off as I probably should, but I love my job so it not all bad. Right NW though,when its the weekend and i hhave time to take a 200 mile road trip i ddon't want my ass killing me because it isn't tough enough yet and is lacking some internal callus. I'm going to hunt eBay for an air hawk for now and also look for someone local that could re- do my seat. There is no way I would be comfortable having a shop half way across the country build me a seat specific to my backsde without my being able to test fit it so to speak.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Just wanted to throw in one last Airhawk comment. Got my Airhawk small delivered Saturday. It fits my stock seat perfectly. The front rolls up onto the tank just an inch or so, width is perfect. I put about 250 miles on it Sunday, and it felt great. Ya, the stock seat will break in, and your ass will toughen up. But $138.00 is real cheap, and comfortable seats are real nice. I own 2 of them now.....sweet sweet squishy seats, Mmmmmmmmmm.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks bkg, that's what i needed to know. Time to shop.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I agree with those that suggested maybe your arse will acclimate with more mileage. This really does happen. I spend hundreds of hours a year on HARD dirt-bike seats, and ride 75-100 miles everyday getting to and from work plus errands, and my butt rarely gives me trouble. In fact, I did an IBA Saddle Sore 1,000 on the stock seat earlier this year. Some people might find that surprising. Yeah, there were times I got some discomfort, but nothing a riding position shift every hour or 1/2 hour and a short walk around every gas stop didn't cure. When I finished, I wasn't "walking funny," nor did I suffer any discomfort the following days. My point is when it comes to riding, everybody's butt is different and has different "tolerances," and a lot of that has to do with how much you ride IMO.

Now, having said that.... I just completed at 970 mile (probably something more like 930-940 with speedo error) ride in a little over 26 hours--we took in a baseball game (a little over 3 hrs.), ate two sit-down meals, and slept for 5 hrs. I knew I was going on this ride, and I had read reports here from people who had decided on different seat mods (from their own, to Baldwins, Corbins, Airhawks, sheepskin, etc.) to gain "all day comfort," so I decided to give "that" a try. I ran across this (see pic) gel seat pad at Wallyworld and it was like $20, so I thought why not? OMG it was incredible! I found myself draining tanks of gas and not even thinking about my butt or changing positions because by backside was grumbling. This will be my new companion on future distance rides. I won't bother with it on shorter rides though. Might be something to consider as a "budget option."

As far as bar position, here's what I do: I sit on the bike in a natural, comfortable upright riding position. I then lift my hands putting the back of my hands towards my shoulders and then just let my hands fall forward naturally. Where ever they land is where I put my bars. Sometimes I might feel like I want to stretch my arms a bit more, so I will roll the bars forward a bit, other times I might want a more aggressive posture, so I roll them back a bit. That's one of the things I really enjoy about the V: you basically have unlimited bar position options, in really tiny increments if you desire: you can experiment until you find something that works for you.

Hey RockyMoto, do you have a link on your gel seat pad? All I get with a search is a bicycle seat!!!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I had Spencer rebuild the seats on my Versys and my ST1300. That's his business, he's really good.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Tell him Bones sent you.
+1 on Spencer. Had an Airhawk for a short while. Did the job but I got tired of repositioning it (didn't want to leave on the bike when I walked away in fear that IT would walk away). If you don't have that problem it comes with stretchy straps to hold it in place.

Spencer did a great job for me with the same or better satisfaction of the Airhawk and for less $'s I might add

09 Versys
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 AM

That WalMart gel pad is the best thing since sliced bread!

I removed the gel pad from its cover,
Took my seat cover off and placed gel pad atop foam,
trimmed the front of the back seat with a Dremel so I could go back further,
re-stapled seat cover back on.

It's Gold Wing comfy for 20 bucks!!!

I was flat..

Til I went fluffy!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

Last edited by Stazjemo; 07-26-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode