Budget bike issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Budget bike issues

I bought a 09 Yamaha FZ6R to build a lightweight back roads tourer and it fits the bill, but the thing vibrates at 5,500 rpm increasing thru 7,000 rpm at at frequency that numbs my hands in 15mins of steady state throttle. Blasting the back roads where your varying the rpm and its not too much of an issue.

So my service manager took it out, talked to Yamaha, and everybody agrees that the bike has a vibration but its not out of the norm, well i'm over it and on the hunt.
One opinion is that an inline four will have a vibration that's typical to the design of the engine and that better counter balancers can deal with it but a better option would be to switch to a twin or a tripple.
Another opinion is that its the budget inline four thats the problem, that more money buys a smoother engine(along with other features).
So i'm concerned with moving to a Versys and having a budget twin be just another lesson I should have learned and would have been better off stepping up to a higher priced bike.

After reading here there seems to be a few riders that mention some vibs, some that tour with out an issue, so does anybody have experience with multiple bikes that have downgraded to a budget bike(Versys) and found it as good as their previous ride?

About me, i've been riding street for 12 yrs, anything from dual sport thumper(BMW F650GS Dakar) on knobbys(longest day in the saddle 530 miles), to an opposed twin(BMW R1200GS)500+ mile days, V-twins a couple 475 mile days, inline fours(BMW k1200LT)770 mile days, and my longest aboard a BMW k1200RS 1726 miles in 39hrs. So i've pulled the seat time, but this thing tried to do me in on a simple 5hr ride.

The fours were soul less, plenty of power but just dull to ride, the twins and the thumper had character, so even though I like the Ninja 1000, I think the Versys would offer what im missing, low power and light weight make a good combo for fun and hopefully vibration free touring.

Throw down some input, opinions, and feel free to banter about what you like and why.

Neal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Neal,
FWIW - I have TWO Vs, an '08 w/ 25,000 miles wearing H-B crashbars, and an '09 w/ 6,500 kms wearing SW Motech crashbars. The '09 has SIGNIFICANTLY more vibes than does the '08. Is it because of the different crashbars...?

Mostly, the vibes affect the mirrors, but they smooth out at 5000+ rpm on my '09. Love the bikes, and I've done 11 hour days on the '08, but don't believe I've been over 3 hours on the '09... YET!

Mirrors on the '08 seem about as vibey as a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S I had, while the '09 mirrors remind me of a '79 Yamaha SR500 I had.

It might be inexpensive, but I wouldn't consider the Versys a "budget" bike.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 AM

I just came to the Versys from owning a couple of ZRX1200's... (Inline 4s...)

I gatta tell ya, the Versys vibrated a LOT more than the ZRX until I put some heavier bar ends on it...

It still vibrates more, but not annoyingly so...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Hands down... The best dual sport/sport tourer or whatever you call it is the 650 V-strom... dead smooth, torquey V-twin... Makes the Versys feel like a paint mixer by comparison... Don't get me wrong, love everything about the Versys, except the vibey engine... Further, and funny my '09 FZ6 (more powerful older version of the girly FZ6R.. sorry, couldn't resist) is dead smooth at those rpms... It also makes 20 HP more to boot...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 07-16-2011 at 06:12 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 AM

I loves me some Versys, but if you want smooth for your backroads tourer this is probably not the bike. I came off a TDM850 as the primary bike and also had a Bandit1200. An aluminum bar and gel grips made the TDM work for me, vib wise. The Bandit, with it's bigger, smoother 4 and Hot Grips (harder, non-gel) sent a fizzy vib into my hands that was annoying. I guess it would have been solveable but there were other things I didn't like about the bike. The rest of the bike- pegs, tank at the knees, etc, was a lot smoother. Maybe it's a quality of vibration thing- as a friend said, "I like things that go thump".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM

bikes vibrate. man up
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=tnd2;162197] The fours were soul less, plenty of power but just dull to ride, the twins and the thumper had character, so even though I like the Ninja 1000, I think the Versys would offer what im missing, low power and light weight make a good combo for fun and hopefully vibration free touring./QUOTE]

If you are looking for vibration free touring IMO the Versys is not for you. Inline twins are known for their vibes. Having said that, the Versys motor does have "character." It's torquey, has good grunt, and feels more powerful than it actually is--it will beat an inline-4 600 in top gear roll-ons from 60mph to 90 mph (BIKE Magazine, June 2010). It was a Motorcyclist MOTY, and to me that speaks volumes as to the overall "effectiveness" of the motorcycle. The BIKE Magazine article is also very interesting. The Versys hands down beats the BMW 800, an Aprilla, and the KTM Duke in a shootout. They basically say that, all things considered, the Versys just might be the best all-around motorcycle made.

I personally run Grip Puppies and gel palm gloves, and consider the "hooligan nature" of the motor a good exchange for not being the smoothest around. I recently did a 1,100 mile ride in a little over 18 hours and experienced absolutely no discomfort whatsoever in my hands/wrists/arms. The only area where the vibration bugs me is the mirrors, but in 30 years of riding I have never ridden a bike with handlebar mounted mirrors that did not suffer in that area.

Have you looked at/considered Honda's VFR 800? Those V-fours are pretty smooth engines. When I ride my buddy's, it almost feels electric!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
bikes vibrate. man up
HaHa! Love it!

It is interesting to me what the OP says about the 4s being soulless! Never redden a modern 4 so i've assumed they are as soulFULL as my 30 year old KZ 650. Guess i'll stop looking for a modern 4 and stick with my "Old G".

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Inline twins are known for their vibes.
^^^truth. i'll agree with the Canuck, the wee strom is a far better touring machine than the versys. versys is more of a small, upright sportbike. prioritize and choose your weapon based on that. the road test of the wee posted here might be worth your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
Have you looked at/considered Honda's VFR 800? Those V-fours are pretty smooth engines. When I ride my buddy's, it almost feels electric!
that's a good rec as well. i had one and it was like butter. not a lightweight, but light on its feet.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM

The only vibration on the versys for me is on the throttle grip. The other grip doesn't bother me at all. A throttle lock solved the problem for me.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
bikes vibrate. man up
Agreed, just never had one that's made me want to sell it and give up riding!(not an option)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Vibration complaints with the FZ6R are common: http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f87/...bration-15156/

I've had tapered aluminum handlebars without bar-end weights from the start and my hands and mirrors are just fine. Footpegs are where vibes are felt the most but it's never excessive. Good riding boots help, as did my wide offroad steel footpegs and seat mod... Engine is remarkably smooth from 5000 to 6200 rpm though. Vibes are really not a concern at all on my 2007. The 2010+ version now has rubber isolators on the upper rear engine mounts.

How about a Triumph Tiger 800 triple? There's a sweet engine.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
bikes vibrate. man up
Yeah. Or go ride a BMW and go to bed when the sun goes down.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
djg

In the past I rode a Yamaha TDM 850 and a Suzuki SV650. The SV was smooth. The TDM is fairly smooth. It has rubber mounted pegs and bars, and mine has aluminum bars. The Versys has noticeable vibes in the bars and pegs, more than the TDM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode