Sept cross-country trip and advice on tires... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sept cross-country trip and advice on tires...

Hey fellow Versys readers!
I just received approval from my job that I can take my 16 day vacation in late Sept. and ride cross-country!!! I have a 2011 Versys and been modding it for my liking that past few months. I am close to 5500 miles and my tires are starting to show some wear. I would like to get tires that will last me for the trip (SF -> Austin -> NYC) and hopefully for the rest of summer. My friend highly recommends the Michelin Pilot Road 3:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/mich...t-road-3-tires

I plan on riding primarily tarmac with a possibility of a few fireroads in National Parks on the trip. I was wondering if anyone has any other positive experiences with high mileage tires.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM

You mean coast to coast (3K to 4K miles) C2 or coast to coast to coast (SF to NYC and back) C3 that's 6K to 8K miles. For a C2 you should be ok with any touring tire. I'm riding on a pair of RoadSmarts have over 4K miles on them and look for another 2.5K to 3K. The OEM lasted me about 7,500 and had a few more miles on them when I change them.

For the C3 trip I would stage a tire change and a service somewhere in between. Call ahead a reputable shop of dealer and have the bike serviced and fitted with new tires if needed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM

Garage
I put these on when the stock tires needed to be replaced, Michelin Pilot Road 2. I like them for my commute, I ride 43 miles one way rain or shine. I have about 3K on them now and they still look great, I have read they can go for 10K before needed to be replaced.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I love the Shinko 009s. My front tire has over 18,000 (!) miles, and still has a few thousand left in her. I get 7-11,000 out of the rears. (I'm on my 3rd rear with the same front). If you look at the pic in my sig you will see that I carry some extra weight in the rear, which shortens my tire life in the back. Most of that is freeway mileage so my center tread wear is what makes me replace them.

Online these are around $170 for the set, or about the price of one rear tire in most other brands. So you may be saying that I love them cause they are cheap. But they handle great! Very good in the rain as well. I mean very good, never hydroplaned with them, and I have ridden through some very nasty weather.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 AM

I'll vote for the PR2's (or PR3's if you can get them). I had a set put on in early May, then rode from Detroit to Colorado and back the first 2 weeks of June....4100 miles in 12 days. Still look for another 6,000ish miles out of the rear.....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM

I put on my 1st pair of Pirelli Angel St's for a cross country ride last summer:

Seconday roads, some Interstate [I10 in Texas ], some fire/gravel in California and Arizona, Snow (Sierra Neveda's) rain (daily in the Gulf states), hot (very hot!)...they worked well. I could have packed lighter too:

I changed them out after 8,000 miles when in the rear squared off in my straight lanned homestate.

I got another set of the Angel ST's and got 9,000 miles out of them, I'm now on my 3rd set and have 6,000 miles so far (I'm approaching 40,000 miles on my clock).

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode