Experienced Riders Course on a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Experienced Riders Course on a Versys

After riding for 17 years, I decided to take the Experienced Riders Course (I already took the BSR 17 years ago). It was well worth it. Learned some new stuff, brushed up on old skills and reaffirmed what I already knew. There were two Harley's, a Kawasaki Vulcan cruiser, a Honda Sport bike, a BMW and my Versys...

The instructor kept saying " you look like you are having fun....I think I got to get one of those"

At the end of the course we went through an evaluation ride. I scored a 99%, one point off for stopping one foot farther than I should have. The next closest score was an 87%. The thing was, at least three of the other riders were quite accomplished in my eyes, but I think I did so well because the Versys is just plain easy to ride.... ( I know the test is somewhat subjective, but I only have ridden my versys for 450 miles)

Anyway, I'll take a versys over a cruiser or sport bike any day for sheer ease of ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats on your 99.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
DR_

meh, I got a 100. j/k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Nice! We got to stop talking this bike up so much, Kawasaki is going to raise the price of ownership.
5 bikes in the garage, and I always want to ride the Versys over any of them.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 PM

My wife is taking this course this Sunday. There is still room and she has been trying to talk me into going with her. I've been riding for all but a few of the last 35 years.

Having a hard time convincing myself I'll come away with any valuable info. You think it was worth the time?

Thanks, Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
My wife is taking this course this Sunday. There is still room and she has been trying to talk me into going with her. I've been riding for all but a few of the last 35 years.

Having a hard time convincing myself I'll come away with any valuable info. You think it was worth the time?

Thanks, Mike

Yes very much so.

But I would suggest a different time than your wife and or any other real close buddy. Makes you over try instead of doing what you know.

I hope that made sense...lol

Ride em if ya got em!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks, Mike
It's one of those things...you get what you put into it. If you go there with the attitude that you are going to seek out new information, you will ask questions, relate it to your experience and learn something new. Also, you might practice some skills that you have not done in years. I think it is worth it, but that is me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, Mike
Take it and see things form a different preceptive. You might learn something that might save you one day.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM

i'd rather be lucky than good, but i'll take both if i can get 'em.

Quote:

have you ever had any formal motorcycle training? i used to teach the basic ride course, saw a lot of guys with many years under their belts taking the class. i'm glad they did, they were surviving on luck. maybe you are the same way, maybe not. maybe you're well-trained and/or well-read on technique and strategy. but the ERC is not very expensive and you never know what you don't know until it's pointed out to you.

besides, do you really want wifey to be the one showing you something new?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 07-15-2011 at 02:22 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, Mike
Mike - WITHOUT doubt! Took an ARC (advanced rider course) in Gilbert, AZ a couple years ago, and learned a lot. (After about 40+ years riding).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Well I agreed to take it with her on Thursday, she went online to sign me up and the class was full.

I'm sure I would have gotten something out of it, and it would have been a cool test to see what I really know.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe in the fall when I don't have so many other things going on.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode