ethanol free fuel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
ethanol free fuel

I found a gas station 2 miles from my work that carries ethanol free 87 octane gas. It's 15 cents more a gallon, but I'm going to start using it, just need to find a station that has 91 or better for the V-Rod.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Not sure if true, but I have read that Ethanol reduces the amount of "energy" in gasoline not to mention the hell it is on the gaskets, seals, and fuel system. Good find!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM

That's great, but the cynic in me has to wonder if they are telling the truth? How would you even know, and then they walk away with an extra .15 cents per in their pocket.
I didn't think it was legal to sell gas without ethanol?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM

It is legal to sell ethanol free gas. Some engines require it still.
Here is link to a site that lists many locations across the US where it is available.
http://pure-gas.org/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
It is legal to sell ethanol free gas. Some engines require it still.
Here is link to a site that lists many locations across the US where it is available.
http://pure-gas.org/
Oh thanks for that link! a station about a mile and a half from my work!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM

If you take a look at the stations that have ethanol free gas most are around lakes as many boats have high performance engines.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My KLR lost about 10% mpg's when I moved to NC because of ethanol in the fuel.

Mark

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Ethanol does indeed have less energy per ounce of fuel. On my Versys I see about a 5-8% reduction in mileage. Course I don't worry too much about it and run what evers at the pump I stop at.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Quick Question

I don't want to hijack this thread but i was trying to find an answer to a question. the sticker on the versys tank says 91 octane, but i've been putting 87 in my versys since i got it with no problems. I thought that i saw it on here somewhere that "anything higher than 87 is not needed for the versys."

does anyone know for sure?

thanks

2005 Yamaha VStar 650 -(pfffh...sold)
2002 Yamaha R1-(sold)
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (hell yeah!)
2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalresistance View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread but i was trying to find an answer to a question. the sticker on the versys tank says 91 octane, but i've been putting 87 in my versys since i got it with no problems. I thought that i saw it on here somewhere that "anything higher than 87 is not needed for the versys."

does anyone know for sure?

thanks
You have an octane sticker on your tank? If it's 91, it must be RON.
87 pump posted octane (91 Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number/2) is the minimum recommended antiknock index. If engine pinging or knocking occurs, use a higher octane rating.

Last edited by invader; 07-11-2011 at 10:44 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM

We can get EtOH free Premium here during the Summer. I gain 6 mpg in my 2008 Outback and 4 mpg in my 2005 Tundra on it. Just evens out dollars wise but the engines run so much smoother and for some reason mileage goes up even on the EtOH gas after running a couple tanks of the good stuff. I just filled the Versys up with it yesterday and didn't really notice much on the ride home (the station is 14 miles from my house).

My John Deere lawn tractor (540, which has a Kawasaki engine in it btw) LOVES the good stuff. I always lay in enough for the tractor for snow plowing duty in the winter because it runs so much better in the cold on the good stuff. A good shot of Sta-Bil and we're good for Winter.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 AM

ok...RON, that must be what it was.
engine on versys does not knock running on 87 octane so i wasn't really worried. just a little confused by tank sticker.

thanks

2005 Yamaha VStar 650 -(pfffh...sold)
2002 Yamaha R1-(sold)
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM (hell yeah!)
2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalresistance View Post
ok...RON, that must be what it was.
engine on versys does not knock running on 87 octane so i wasn't really worried. just a little confused by tank sticker.

thanks
What exactly is stated on your tank sticker. Does it not specify RON?? I guess the sticker is no longer there?
Does anyone else have a sticker that can be read?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 AM

good morning,

i have 4 stations in my area that have non Ethonal gas...my last fillup....48,5 mpg...keeping it under 6000 rpm(approx. 80 mph on my speedo)...usually 2-4 cents more that wally world(murphy oil co,)...

it does make a BIG difference...and it smells like gas...

my john deere mower and my mercury optimax 90 and my chevy truck like it too...

pura vida,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After running ethanol free fuel for 2 weeks, my average MPG went from 47 to 51. Bike does feel like it's runs a little bit smoother.

Mark

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 AM

I run 91 octane pure petrol It's what the manual says to run. Cautions against using any amount of ethanol. It's an Oz '11 model.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM

I think this is much ado about nothing...granted a slight improvement in energy content, but don't you think "modern" engine components have been designed with ethanol in mind and the old issue of "damage to seals, gaskets, o-rings, etc" is no longer an issue?
Water absorbtion in a marine environment can cause trouble, but we don't normally let our fuel sit around too long .

Cheers

Last edited by rcfield; 07-28-2011 at 07:50 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Ethanol made from corn is a terribly poor energy savings. It takes 95% of the energy produced from oil to produce it. It is not green at all. Other countries are not stuck with it. It is primarily forced on us by the farm lobby.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Ethanol made from corn is a terribly poor energy savings. It takes 95% of the energy produced from oil to produce it. It is not green at all. Other countries are not stuck with it. It is primarily forced on us by the farm lobby.
You can make ethanol out of anything with enough sugar in it. Corn happens to be the crop of choice in the US and one that is not very efficient. To the subsides and mandates you have to add the tarrifs imposed on Brazilian ethanol. Brazil make theirs from sugar cane. The tarrifs on imported sugar products (ethanol in this case) are meant to support the sugar beet farmers. Without the tarrifs, ethanol based fuels would be price competitive with gas. Even with the loss of energy efficiency.

To those who claim major fuel efficiency numbers when using 100% gas and not 90%. e85 (that is 85% ethanol) has about 33% less energy per unit than e10 gasoline with 10% ethanol. Extrapolating that number I'm skeptical about the claims that using 100% gasoline instead of 90% gasoline can yield more than a 2% to 3% improvement in gas mileage.

The only reason, I believe, to avoid ethanol is that ethanol is water soluble. I see that as an issue with marine engines. Also ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline therefore the need to use different materials in the fuel systems that can use higher ethanol content fuels. I'm not concerned about problems with the Versys using e10 (normal gas) or even e15. I see how people with older or less technological advanced vehicles may be concerned.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My numbers are based on a 5 day a week for 2 week average running 86 miles a day to and from work. It was based on about 5 tank fulls of non ethanol fuel vs 10% ethanol fuel.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode