Wind noise.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wind noise....

[RANT]

I'm totally baffled... I just opened 3 threads in a row where riders were trying to get rid of "wind noise...."

Really?!?! It's a motorcycle... there's no windscreen in the world that's going to totally eliminate wind noise.... I've owned Goldwings, Burgman Scooters, and a Honda PC800 with huge windscreens... guess what... still wind noise... Earplugs can cut things down... but you're still on a motorcycle... Wind Noise is part of the experience!

If you wanna totally get rid of wind noise take your cage out for a ride. But then, dear god, you still will have road noise....

Get out there and enjoy being in the wind! Throw your earplugs in, and listen to the serenity of the purest white noise in the world. Wind Noise and a Parallel twin humming along.... If I could produce a relaxation CD... Here's the tracklist:

1.) Wind Noise and an inline 4 cylinder ZRX at 60Mph
2.) Wind Noise and an Parallel Twin Versys at 60Mph
3.) Wind Noise and a V-Twin Suzuki SV1000 at 60Mph
4.) Wind Noise and a Ducati Multistrada at 60Mph

And I would listen to it in my car, just to make the ride better!!!! So enjoy the nature that is wind! Enjoy your rides, the feeling of motion... All of your senses together make motorcycling what it is. The touch of the sun on your leathers making you sweat your junk off... The smell of that dead deer that's been rotting in the sun for 4 days as you ride by. The sound of the wind and your motor. And the sight of all the chicks, looking at you sweating your junk off because it's 90 degrees and your an ATGATT kind of guy...

Wind noise is serenity.

[/RANT]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM

amen brother

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 PM

To a point. But too much wind noise can be mentally fatiguing, which is dangerous. Not to mention that if your airflow/helmet combo is poor, you could be getting noise levels that are potentially damaging even with plugs. My mission right now is smoothing airflow at the base of the helmet. Standing up or removing the screen brings noise levels down to a very acceptable level; any configuration of the stock or Vario screen introduces a gawdawful amount of racket coming from the base of my helmet. I currently suspect a poor mating of my jawline with the neckroll or cheekpad profile.

So there's a long way of saying that I suspect most people aren't trying to eliminate wind noise so much as manage it.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
To a point. But too much wind noise can be mentally fatiguing, which is dangerous. Not to mention that if your airflow/helmet combo is poor, you could be getting noise levels that are potentially damaging even with plugs. My mission right now is smoothing airflow at the base of the helmet. Standing up or removing the screen brings noise levels down to a very acceptable level; any configuration of the stock or Vario screen introduces a gawdawful amount of racket coming from the base of my helmet. I currently suspect a poor mating of my jawline with the neckroll or cheekpad profile.

So there's a long way of saying that I suspect most people aren't trying to eliminate wind noise so much as manage it.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic... but it the noise is so troublesome to you with even earplugs in... maybe motorcycling isn't for you... Ever think about knitting....

Hehehe... just bustin ya... But, even on the racetrack, foam earplugs seemed to cut more than enough ambient noise out of the way....
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - by Garcia, Jerry.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I love this thread already....

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 AM

like everything else you get what u pay for! find yourself the right helmet!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM

That's a lot easier said than done.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Talking Just kidding

The tinfoil that I have lining my helmet cuts down the wind noise and the voices plus keeps Major League Baseball from reading my thoughts!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
The tinfoil that I have lining my helmet cuts down the wind noise and the voices plus keeps Major League Baseball from reading my thoughts!
Plus it works great as chewing gum in a pinch...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Wow. That really went off the rails. Anyway, I suspect I'd just start making less sense if I tried to clarify, so s'pose it's best to leave it lie.

EDIT: Eh, WTH. Here we go. Keep in mind this is all subjective, like most things in regard to perception. Plus I don't have the equipment to measure SPL at the entrance to my ear canal.

1. When standing up on the bike or with no screen, wind noise is very tolerable, to the point where I don't feel the need for earplugs at less than freeway speeds (for short periods, anyway).

2. With a screen, wind noise from around the helmet base in particular becomes subjectively louder with earplugs in than without plugs or screen. In a couple of cases of strong headwind, it felt like I'd just spent a couple of hours in a noisy factory.

Either way, I never had this issue to this degree on my old Virago 250, or any of the other bikes I've managed to snag a ride on, except an old ZX-6. Aerodynamics is a funny thing, and while I'll admit to probably having at least somewhat sensitive ears, a V with a screen is the first bike to make me want plugs for short runs.

So yeah; not sarcastic, but definitely over-analytical and have a hard time shutting up when I really should.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

Last edited by 80-watt Hamster; 07-10-2011 at 11:48 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - by Garcia, Jerry.
well said brother.

Just Ride on the wind.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 AM

On a more serious note try these things one at a time for effect.

1. Flip stock screen upside down and try the different mounting heights.
2. Take the windscreen brackets off and put a 1/4" spacer between the bracket and the front mounting hole. (tips the screen back just enough to redirect the blast)

I have done both of these together and very am pleased with the results. The tone of the wind noise is much more tolerable.

Sorry to have derailed your post, just having a laugh.
Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 AM

Just put in your iPod and play Slayer and Megadeth as loud as possible, won't even remember what little rattles and whistles were driving you nuts.

Anyway, to be serious, the GIVI windscreen works really well for me.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
On a more serious note try these things one at a time for effect.

1. Flip stock screen upside down and try the different mounting heights.
2. Take the windscreen brackets off and put a 1/4" spacer between the bracket and the front mounting hole. (tips the screen back just enough to redirect the blast)

I have done both of these together and very am pleased with the results. The tone of the wind noise is much more tolerable.

Sorry to have derailed your post, just having a laugh.
Bob
Tried #1, but #2 hadn't occurred to me. I'll give it a shot.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:43 AM

I have the vario on my 2011 and I ended up putting the bracket in the upper most holes but still was not totally satisfied. I felt it needed more angle on the screen. So I removed the forward screws and rotated the brackets down as far as they would go and then put the screws back in the nuts, which trapped the brackets and once the screen was replaced everything was very snug. This was suppose to be a test to see if there would be a difference and I do believe there was an improvement in noise and turbulence. So I have just left it as is.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Wind or wind noise is not a problem except in strong cross wind condition or when I'm going over 90 MPH. At that speed I have other things to worry about. I wear a SyMax II (modulars are not the quietest helmets) and always, always wear earplugs.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM
MTS

I had the same problem! I went for a ride and I heard some wind? I tore the front end apart and found that my speedometer was part of the problem. As the speed went up the wind increased! I removed the speedometer and went for a test ride! It was a complete fix! I never heard any wind at all! I also ride with the wind only! This really helped! I hope this helps! Mullets are back in!!!

Last edited by MTS; 07-11-2011 at 11:14 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 PM

Garage
I do recall reading another member found that by raising the stock screen and allowing airflow under the screen, he was able to reduce the turbulence that normally forms around the screen. It reduced the noise levels for him.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
MTS

Like Moto I also have the Givi and it works excellent! I had one that was larger and sent it back! Too big puts too much pressure on plastic base at high speeds! Believe me on this don't do it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode