2011 Versys – a quick half year review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2011 Versys – a quick half year review

I purchased my 2011 Versys in March and I would like to give a quick half year review (only because its slow at work…) I purchased the Versys, because I wanted a ride that can handle the New York City traffic as well as the twisties and fire roads in New England on the weekends I find myself on. I avoid highways as much as I can, but inevitably I have to jump on the interstate to get away from NYC as quickly as I can or just to make up on some lost time. After 5000+ miles in nearly 6 months, I am loving my ride…

I really enjoy the low end power/torque of the engine, as it gets me out of the gate pretty quickly, but also very capable of handling the high speeds on highways. I have not experience any crazy vibrations on the mirrors and find them very useful on all speeds. I am 6ft/190 lbs and I like the upright seating position as I can see over cars and handle the fire roads very easily. The styling of the 2010/2011 with the modified headlights and the lines on the side fairings got my attention and I catch many people getting a glimpse of my bike in the city. The biggest single complaint happened shortly after purchased as I got the dreaded cowling noise, but found a remedy through the resources of this website (will point out later).

I am setting up my bike for sport-touring as I am planning a cross-country trip (NYC -> Portland, OR -> San Francisco, CA -> Austin, TX -> NYC) late this summer totaling 5 weeks. Out of the showroom I think the bike is set-up for daily commuting, but with a few add-ons I think it is a worthy midrange sport-touring bike. Here is the list of add-ons/mods so far:

Current:
Acerbis Dual Road Handguards
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010
- Liked the idea of simple installation and wind protection

Soft Bag supports
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=ksmason71
- Purchased from a member of the forum. Affordable and works perfect

Givi Top case E470
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...FVDCKgodmHbkYA
- Friend had his leftover from an accident and gave it to me

Givi soft saddlebags (don’t know which model number)
- Left over from my previous bike

SW-Motech crash bars
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3855/788/
- I went with the SW-Motech model as it protects the engine components as opposed to the Hepco where it protects the radiator. I think both are sufficient, but I have had good experience with SW-Motech’s build quality

Alaska leather sheepskin
http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...over%2C/Detail
- Allows me to ride 12+ hours a day and the butt still works. Previously, the arse would starting feeling pain shortly north of an hour or so.

Contour Vholdr video 720p video cam (1st gen model)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...HD-Camera.aspx
- Amateur video editor and looking to upgrade to the Contour+

Motowerk footpeg lowering kit
http://motowerk.com/loweringfootpegsblocks.aspx
- The extra inch or two makes a huge difference for my legs and blood circulation

Cowling noise (weather striping added and straws in the mode/reset buttons)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=6904
- Around 600 miles, I got the cowling noise and simply couldn’t stand it anymore and the DIY solutions are working perfectly. The noise is gone and I can hear my engine purring now!

On order
Motowerk standard flatfoot
http://motowerk.com/Flatfoot.aspx
- The stock foot print is small and got scared putting my bike on the stand on the slightest incline/decline. The added surface area will bring me more comfort.

Superbike store rear hugger
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories
- I went with this model, because it looks like there is still some clearance for the rear tire in case I want to get dual sport tires with higher treads. But I do think this is a necessary part, as rain hits the stator, I believe, which you want to avoid.

Wishlist TBD:
Taller windshield
- Could use less buffeting for long days, 400-500 mile days

GPS
- My iPhone is my current GPS, but I think a designated GPS such as Garmin would like navigating much easier and more efficient

Radiator guard
- On the fire roads and wet roads and seeing debris and water getting kicked up into my radiator

New tires (Michelin Pilot Road 3)
- I am riding with the stock Dunlops and slowly losing confidence especially on wet roads

If you have any questions, I would be happy to respond as best as I can. I frequently visit this website for answers and hope I can do the same for others!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.JPG (957.7 KB, 1172 views)
File Type: jpg New Image_2.jpg (207.6 KB, 1159 views)

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Glad you are loving the Versys. It really is a great bike. Very nice review also. Very cool that you took the time to include as much detail as well as the links to the mods you have added. Nicely done.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Madone1. I have gathered so much information from this forum/community that at least I could provide some thoughts/input as well. I am thoroughly enjoying the bike and look forward to the many rides and smiles that will come!

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Could you post a photo of the soft bag supports without the bags on? I was considering purchasing some of these from one of the forum members but wasn't sure how well they would fit with the Givi Topcase rack installed. I'd like to see detail where the top of the support anchors to the frame with the topcase rack.

Thanks!

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
available here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you like it. My other bikes are getting dusty. I have put over 3000 miles in two months of ownership on the Versys.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the excellent recap. I have the exact same bike and love it also. I am quite interested in the handguards as I have been thinking about getting some. I have heated grips but sometimes the backs of my hands and my thumb still get pretty cold. Have you had a chance to try them cold weather and do they help much?
Thanks again

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up Dual Road Handguards

Are you using any bar end weights with your Acerbis Dual Road Handguards?
Just curious since you said that you are not experiencing any mirror vibrations.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM

EZC, I'm interested in the hand guards, how easy/difficult was installation. Were they just bolt on and did everything come with the handguards for a trouble free installation. The reason I ask is because handguard installation with some brands require a bit of altering the product or the handlebars.
Thanks, Nick
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice write up and thanks for sharing.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Very nice. How well does that particular Alaskan pad fit?

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the great list of mods. I am off to do some shopping for my 2011 Versys :-)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Shoot me a PM when you're approaching SF later this summer. Perhaps we can arrange to show you some of the lesser known great roads in this area.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
kimel - Very nice. How well does that particular Alaskan pad fit?

The Alaskan pad fits perfectly, as if it was made for the versys seat. I highly recommend it, though I didn't order the nose strap to keep the front end down when i'm standing on my foot pegs. Its a minor annoyance and will probably order the nose strap in the near future.

Nick EZC, I'm interested in the hand guards, how easy/difficult was installation. Were they just bolt on and did everything come with the handguards for a trouble free installation. The reason I ask is because handguard installation with some brands require a bit of altering the product or the handlebars.
Thanks, Nick

The hand guards were super easy to install. litereally unscrew the two bots holding the bar ends and poof the hand guards pop right in. Maybe a 5 minute installation? the most difficult part was the unscrewing of the stock screws as I think locktite was on them and required a lot of effort. I went with the Acerbis, because i didn't want to deal with the brakets and/or any alteration of the handlebars.

Pismocycleguy Dual Road Handguards

Are you using any bar end weights with your Acerbis Dual Road Handguards?
Just curious since you said that you are not experiencing any mirror vibrations.

I am not using bar end weights. I still contemplate putting them back on, but i am not experiencing any vibrations. I've ridden up to 90 mph and the mirrors were fine.

V-COASTER Thanks for the excellent recap. I have the exact same bike and love it also. I am quite interested in the handguards as I have been thinking about getting some. I have heated grips but sometimes the backs of my hands and my thumb still get pretty cold. Have you had a chance to try them cold weather and do they help much?
Thanks again

The hand guards were the first add-ons installed on my bike. I rode up to Rhode Island in March and it was freezing and the handguards did keep most of the biting wind off my hands. I think they helped me alot.

gleite311 Could you post a photo of the soft bag supports without the bags on? I was considering purchasing some of these from one of the forum members but wasn't sure how well they would fit with the Givi Topcase rack installed. I'd like to see detail where the top of the support anchors to the frame with the topcase rack.

Thanks!

The soft bag supports is the only add-on that didn't fit perfectly. The reason being the support bracket was measured w/o the top case mounting system, so it is off by a hair (1-2mm). The screw that attaches to my givi top rack fits fine, but the screw that attaches to the bottom of the passenger footpeg is ever so slightly off. My solution was to zip tie the bottom to the footpeg (see pic) and haven't had any problems. I am happy with the result and it holds my soft bags well with no complaints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.JPG (792.9 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg New Image_2.JPG (505.7 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg New Image_3.JPG (757.6 KB, 457 views)

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2003 Kawasaki KLR 250
1990 Suzuki GS500
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Good recap EZC - glad you're enjoying the V. Bought mine in April and haven't looked back.....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Those wind guards look interesting. May not fully protect the levers in a drop but the fact that they act like bar end weights is pretty cool. I have the Kawasaki guards and they might have actually increased vibration a little because they end up tying the bar end weight back into the handlebar.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks for posting those detailed shots of the soft rack supports, EZ. I have a feeling that I'm going to be ponying up for hard cases at some point in the future, but for now I've got my soft bags.

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
available here
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM

I got a set of Dual Road handguards off ebay for $50. I had to get longer bolts, and put them on top of the bar end weights. Worked perfectly.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode