New Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Que

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Tires

So i just got my bike serviced and they told me I have about 25% tread left. My question is, in a rough estimate how many mile would that be AND can anyone point me in a good direction for some good quality tires. I do about 85 % commuiting on the freeway and 15% crusing/take the corners hard. any advice would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I hear Michelin is having a blowout on Pilot Road 3's.

Hehe, no seriously, the PRs get good reviews, I love the Pilot Powers.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I ride about like you had about 7200 miles on the stock tires still have a some good life left in them but felt it was time for peace of mind. Went with the Michelin PR-3's got them from jakewilson.com got them in 2 days shipped to norwalk ca. Impressions so far is its a so much better tire than the stockers. They stick like glue you can carve the corners with ease. Very happy with them so far.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Whatever tire you get a duel compound would be your best option. Harder compound center section for better longevity and softer side compound for better grip when leaned over. Jake Wilson most likely has the cheapest prices but I did just buy a tire from Riders Discount and they matched the price.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Que

I have over 8500 mi on my stock right now. I've heard the pr2's are good and the pr3's came in not too long ago so pr2 v pr3? i've heard pirelli's angel/demon tires are good also. what about that vs pr's ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Bridgestone 023's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
So i just got my bike serviced and they told me I have about 25% tread left. My question is, in a rough estimate how many mile would that be AND can anyone point me in a good direction for some good quality tires. I do about 85 % commuiting on the freeway and 15% crusing/take the corners hard. any advice would be welcomed.
The Bridgestone 023 dual compound work very nice on my 09 for doing the freeways...harder middle contact patch...almost a little too hard for hard braking...but the soft side compound is very grippy for fun in the twisty's... also often sold at a very cheap price if you look around...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-10-10-444.jpg (107.6 KB, 61 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
The Bridgestone 023 dual compound work very nice on my 09 for doing the freeways...harder middle contact patch...almost a little too hard for hard braking...but the soft side compound is very grippy for fun in the twisty's... also often sold at a very cheap price if you look around...
+1

I love my Bridgestone BT-O23's. They are WAY better than the stockers (I got about 8K out of them) and better than the Shinko 009's I had previously. Very confidence inspiring tires--it's hard to tell they are not full track tires when the roads get twisty. I've put about 2K on them and they are holding up great too, as they show very little, if any, wear at this point.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 PM

My new-to-me 2008 V came with Pirelli Angel ST's the PO had installed on the bike about 500 miles before selling it-he had another bike he rode more, which is why he sold the V-and I really like the way they ride and handle. Steering is almost telepathic, yet with no tendency to fall into corners. I like the Angels so much I will probably a set on my 'other' bike, a 1st gen FZ1 which now has a set of Bridgestone BT023's on it. The Bridgestones haven't done anything I can condemn, but they haven't done anything that excites me either. My biggest complaint with them is they are physically smaller than other tires of the same size, which made my speedo more optimistic and less accurate. I compared the speedo on my V to my GPS, and with the Angel ST's, it is 100% accurate.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Que

Another question I have is, What is the difference between the duel compound tires like the BT 023 and the PR or Pirelli's angel?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM

Dual Compound Tires are made with a harder centerline on the tire for longevity of life needed for the typical straightline riding like freeway and such.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I got a great deal on a set of Avon Storm 2 tires last fall. I have about 3000km on them so far and they seem to be wearing very well. They're a nice neutral feeling tire, with excellent grip. I haven't ridden with them through a heavy rain yet, but on some wet roads with light showers they performed well. I got about 12000km out of the stock rear and I'm hoping to get more from these.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Sounds like a good sport-touring tire is what you'd want. Dunlop RoadSmart, BS-023, Pirrelli Angel, Michy PR's, Avon Storm; all will fill the bill and feel a ton better than your tired stockers. Find out about your local mount and balance options before you buy. It might work out the same to buy from your local guys, and I'm thinking independents here, not necessarily the dealership.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM

P 3's on mine what a difference these are truly great tyres
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode