New motorcycle gear safety study - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
New motorcycle gear safety study

New study announced into the safety of motorcycle gear.....

excerpt ...............................
Ms de Rome said “One of the most important findings was the difference it made to be wearing body armour, particularly for hands and knees.”

When garments included fitted body armour there was a significantly reduced risk of any injury. This included a reduced risk of any injury to the upper body by 23%, legs by 39%, hands by 45% and feet by 45%. The results also found riders wearing shoes or joggers had a much higher risk of foot and ankle injuries, as any type of boot reduced risk of injury by 53%.

While there are limits to the extent clothing can prevent injury in high impact crashes, it is in low impact crashes that protective clothing is thought to offer the greatest injury reduction. There is also evidence that the majority of motorcycle crashes do not involve high impacts.

http://www.georgeinstitute.org/about...r-just-weather

Last edited by twowheels; 06-28-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For those who would rather "listen" to the results of the study, rather than read it. (The video is a short interview with the study's author.)

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
... One of the most important findings was the difference it made to be wearing body armour, particularly for hands and knees.

When garments included fitted body armour there was a significantly reduced risk of any injury....
What a surprising revelation! Im shocked!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM

So I'm not nuts for wearing ATGATT in the heat of summer!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I wear ATGATT, but the level of gear varies greatly.

I will ride in full up race leathers with race rated gaunlet gloves, race boots, track approved full face.

But I will also ride in 6" Tourmaster Response Road boots, kevlar jeans, mesh jacket, full finger mesh gloves, and modular helmet.

The most important thing is how you ride. lane position. willing to give up your right away at a moments notice. choosing roads less travelled. Riding like you are invisible instead of invincible.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

I have recently proven that ATGATT is the ONLY way to ride. I just wish this message would get out there more often.
Also, "Top Quatlity" gear is considerably better then things in the $100 price range. If I had've known that a few weeks ago I would have had a Joe Rocket jacket to match my Joe pants. Sadly I had a lesser quality textile coat (with armour etc) that I can now thank for the road rash on my arm.
See here where I made the paper.
http://m.lfpress.com/News/London-and-Region/18293021
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Someone would have to be nuts to wear anything less, I feel. Back in my 20's when I thought I was invincible, I'd ride in a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. Even though I never crashed, the recipe was there. Distractions galore... bugs hitting you in the chest at 40mph doesn't feel very good.

One of the worst distractions I ever had was a bee that flew up my shorts. Got stung in the inner thigh. The pain was awful. You can't tell me you can have full control of a bike when you're desperately hitting yourself in the leg for 10 seconds trying to smoosh a bug and not keeping full attention on the road ahead of you.

Yep, I was a silly boy. All the gear, all the time for me now in my 40's!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsForVonski View Post
...One of the worst distractions I ever had was a bee that flew up my shorts. Got stung in the inner thigh. The pain was awful. You can't tell me you can have full control of a bike when you're desperately hitting yourself in the leg for 10 seconds trying to smoosh a bug and not keeping full attention on the road ahead of you...
I've had a bee get inside my jacket and it wasn't dead -- not by a long shot. Trust me, that is good, real-world, emergency braking technique practice. That has been the only time I wished I wasn't wearing gear while riding.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The results also found riders wearing shoes or joggers had a much higher risk of foot and ankle injuries, as any type of boot reduced risk of injury by 53%.

http://www.georgeinstitute.org/about...r-just-weather
I think this was the only portion of the sound bite that surprised me much, considering how many riders stress motorcycle-specific boots and will scold you for wearing simple work boots.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
I've had a bee get inside my jacket and it wasn't dead -- not by a long shot.
ditto. gear won't protect you from a bee. i've had one enter my jacket collar and another get sucked into my helmet by the chin. not cool.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM

if there is one thing about the american people its that they like to hear info that they already know but in a british or australian accent. Sh!t we will buy anything from you if you just say it like you are an announcer of wimbleton.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
I think this was the only portion of the sound bite that surprised me much, considering how many riders stress motorcycle-specific boots and will scold you for wearing simple work boots.
clearly any boot is better than any tennie. and not all moto-specific boots are alike. i have road racer boots, waterproof track-worthy boots, dual-sporty boots and almost-street boots. i will ride in my hiking boots for a short ride to a hiking trail. i'd rather be in the road racer boots all the time, i think they are more protective in more crash scenarios, and the waterproof ones are more versatile. but as long as you have something rugged that covers your ankles, you're at least reducing the risk of injury.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Roadrace boots have nothing on these:
http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-rid...ing-boots.html

I own a pair.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm new to riding and don't contribute much here, but sure do read everything I see here and have learned plenty from all of you good folks.
The information does seem like what we take as common sense, but one thing in the video concerns me.

At about 3:36 she states that 25% of the gear failed in the accidents. I would like to hear specifics on this. Was it low quality gear or a matter of quality control from the manufacturers as she implies?

That kind of worries me without knowing exactly what kind of failures they are talking about. Anyone have any further info on that? Or ideas?

For the record, I wear ATGATT and just invested in a pair of Bohn Armor pants as well. I hate to think that there is only a 75% chance that they will do what they were intended to do.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM

ttpete, those combat touring boots are exactly what i refer to as "dual-sporty" in my post above. trust me, they have nothing on my alpinestars supertech boots. with the a*, it's like placing your feet and ankles in a vault. you wouldn't want to walk around in them all day, but they are quite reassuring on the bike. the "track-worthy" boots (SM-X GTX) are a step up in protection, as well. more surprising, they hike better than the aerostich boots.

Woody, she mentioned quality control as the issue. for the most part, i think you get what you pay for in riding gear.

lest you think my eyes are brown:

ps. my eyes are brown.

Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 06-29-2011 at 09:57 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody99 View Post
At about 3:36 she states that 25% of the gear failed in the accidents. I would like to hear specifics on this. Was it low quality gear or a matter of quality control from the manufacturers as she implies?
Woody99, "ALL" of my gear did what I would consider to be a "fail" in my recent wreck. It was all textile material.
Racing leathers would have held up much better obviously.
BUT I walked (with assistance) away.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Good info...

The Save Your Hide Guide

HTML http://www.motoport.com/save-your-hide

PDF http://www.gbfr.org/saveyourhide.pdf

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM

What you mean a wife beater shirt and a novelty German Nazi helmet wont hold up?
Sure could fool me by looking at the weekend warrior crowd.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
an announcer of wimbleton.
LOL Bamf, that is the one word where the "d" pronounced by Americans is actually a "d". It's Wimbledon.
And yes British English does have some magical charm, I don't know what it is but a pretty girl with a nice British accent suddenly is twice as attractive.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
risk of injucry reduction: 45 motorcycle boots, 53 any boots
That means that riders with non-motorcycle type boots were less likely to be injured than riders with motorcycle boots. I think paradox effect is due to the inclusion of scooters. You rarely see scooterists wearing motorcycle type boots, but they have a smaller risk of injury compared to motorcyclists because of the way a scooter is built. Basically, on a scooter it's harder to get your foot/leg trapped under your ride.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode