Foot peg location on Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Foot peg location on Versys

I have a 2007 KLR & was kinda interested in a Versys because 99% of my riding is street which sometimes includes freeway. The Versys seems better suited for this then the KLR. Since I live in California I have not seen a Versys in person yet. Supposedly the 2009's will arrive in Calfornia in October 2008. My main question are the Versys' foot pegs a little rear set kinda sportbikish or more like the KLR straight down. I do like the KLR upright seat position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM

I have been looking at versys a lot lately..pretty sure it's gonna be my next bike here...real soon!

The footpeg position is more sportbikeish. For myself, coming off of a sportbike, its a lot more relaxed than my ninja was. But, compared to the KLR, V-strom, and BMW GS's I've sat on..you're feet are a little more underneath you (like a sport bike). In my opinion, its a good combination between sport bike, and standard (the riding position is a mix as well..not completely straight up as on a KLR or GS, but not nearly as awkward as a sport bike)...I would have much more love for this bike if the pegs were a bit more forward...but I guess I can't have everything..

hope that helped ya some! I got to sit on one today and start it...I'm pumped. Should be buying one this week sometime
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM

my versy, to me, feels alot like my dr650 except bigger and longer reach to the bars, the pegs dont feel rearward like a sports bike, but straight down, i tend to think it would be nice if they were rearward an inch or so and a touch lower, as nothing scraps and tends to get a LITTLE cramped on a long ride.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Guess I need to take a trip from Central California to Reno to sit on a Versys at a dealership to get an idea. I also like more distance from seat to foot pegs to stretch.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard Pig View Post
Guess I need to take a trip from Central California to Reno to sit on a Versys at a dealership to get an idea. I also like more distance from seat to foot pegs to stretch.
I find it to be very comfortable, I have a bad back and was concerned when I brought the bike. But on my first trip I found it arches your back just right, I got of feeling a million bucks. Except riding along I needed to stretch my legs, might even look at a set of clamp on highway pegs to change position every so often. I donít know if there is any bike that is perfect in all situations? Maybe a beema.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 AM

They don't make a bike perfect for everyone, but with the bike's I've had the Versys is the closest for me.
The seat height was an issue, but I fixed that, the riding/seating position is pretty close to perfect for me (every body's different). My 1st gen. FZ1 is perfect for me also, but i made some modifications to it also. I am 5'10" with a 29" inseam, and couldn't stand the "tip toe" seat height of 33.1"

'15 DL1000
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 AM

You did a great job of personalizing your bike! well done, I hope more people get on with there mods as soon as I do some I will list, first up is "power commander chip" not for more power but to smooth the power I find it surges, we put one in my brothers sprint which had the same problem and made a different bike out of it in the traffic and getting of the line, also improved fuel economy.
How do u feel it handles compared to your fz1, now you have lowered it to almost normal road bike height? Any bad habits? I tend to find it wants to tuck under when you have a fare amount of lean. I am 6"1 and 230 pounds, so I think I might need to get the suspension re-sprung and valve, considering the manual says springs are designed for someone 187 pounds.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM

I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam and its just about perfect for me. Only thing I don't like about the foot-pegs, when you are waiting at lights, they dig into my calf, they are exactly in the wrong position for me. I just put on HB crash bars and might put on highway pegs. I do a lot of long distance stuff 400+ miles in a day, be nice to move my legs around a bit.

Machog
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 AM

I do similar distance riding and thought the highway pegs would be the way to go to give you that bit of move ability. HB crash bars, are they like the bars they fit to Beamers to protect the cylinders? I find high beam to be pretty poor, does anyone know if the wiring and alternator would cope with a higher wattage globe?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Check out my web photos in the post below this, somewhere in the Versys Farkle there should be a picture of the HB crash bars. I have tried some old heavy chrome highway pegs I got off my Valkyrie for position. They seem to be perfect, so going to look for some lightweight pegs that match the V stock ones.

Machog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode