Suction cup mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suction cup mounts

I have a suction cup car mount for my phone that I was thinking about sticking on the bike. It seems real solid but I'm afraid it will fall off while riding.

Anyone use them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM

Over time, they all wear out. And fall off.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysbill Send a message via Yahoo to versysbill
You should go for one of these and then get the U-bolt mount for you handle bar and an extension arm...

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 Green
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Limited Edition
2002 Honda S2000

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
www.gpscity.com also has any mount you can think of with very fast shipping

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Garage
I just ordered a suction mount with a ram mount as well as a few other mounts.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-loc...tal-plate.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-uti...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mot...inch-ball.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-lon...-b-201u-c.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-1.7...-ball-arm.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-cam...m-b-202au.html

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-lar...inch-ball.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
DR_

I use a suction cup mount for my GPS but I also use a zip tie around the mount just in case it pops off. The suction cup stays on there pretty good if i give it a spit on before mounting.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys! When I get some time I'll look through the links.

Dr- I'm not picturing how you zip tie the suction cup mount. I'm leaning more towards the suction cup mount just because I already have it. I'm also able to use the camara on my phone while sitting in the mount which I like.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysbill View Post
You should go for one of these and then get the U-bolt mount for you handle bar and an extension arm...

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx
I wonder if I can attach my phone cradle from my car mount to the ram handle bar mount. I would need an extension arm too? Do vibrations transfer through it?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysbill Send a message via Yahoo to versysbill
RAM has many many mounts and accessories - vibrations seem to travel through a bit with my GPS cradle unit - even more so now that my SW MOtech engine guard is installed which seems to act like a tuning fork for vibrations since the ends are open and not connected through (not sure why they made it this way but i think i may have a guy to fab it together along with some possible higher up guards) anyws - got sidetracked there - I think RAM should have something that could work with an option you may already have and yes vibrations may travel through a bit depending on the mount style used (rubber coated RAM ball tips would be best)

------------------------------------------------------

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 Green
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Limited Edition
2002 Honda S2000

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 AM
DR_

The is my current suction cup solution. I put a zip tie around the mount and around the actual GPS so I don't think they can fall off.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

A bicycle gps mount also works. Cheap too.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Garage
The reason i went with this mount one of the reviews the guy uses it mounted on an airplane. Its the strongest suction mount i've seen and i've had plenty of them. Heres a photo holding up my Lap Top

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-loc...tal-plate.html

IMG_0173 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0174 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM

I wouldn’t trust a suction cup mount, I’ve seen them fall off a car windshield too many times.

I mounted my HTC/Verizon Thunderbolt to my Versys using a combination of the Verizon Car Dock/Cradle (allows the camera/video to work) and RAM mount components off of my existing GPS mount

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...86&postcount=5

I removed the rotator ball in the cellphone cradle socket, mounted a RAM 1” ball (RAM Mount 0.38-16 Male Thread with 1 inch ball) off the socket with a washer, nut and filled the socket with epoxy for more surface area strength. Then mounted the assembly on my existing RAM mount setup, the Thunderbolt cradle is empty and is above the GPS:

Here is a still I shot on the road (thru the windscreen):

Here is a video I shot on the road:

No Video

Got to “watch” all the gadgetry though, my Versys might start having aspirations of being a BMW!

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

DR- Thanks for the picture. I may try that as a temporary solution.

A2RON- Thanks. That looks awesome the way you have them mounted. I have the samsung charge phone with the car dock. I think I can do the same thing that you are talking about but I'm not sure I want to change the ball or put apoxy on it. I want to be able to put it back on the car windshield. Maybe I can put it on a ram mount with the original ball? I also don't have much of a budget yet to get speedy's mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode