tire gauges - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
tire gauges

Using a newly purchased air pump to fill my car tires today I discovered the digital gauge on it had a reading that was 20% different from my cheap $18 digital gauge which in turn has varied by up to 7 PSI from the gauge on my service station's air pump and is sometimes 2 PSI off on repeat readings. I think this may explain the $100 price tag on Motion Pro tire gauges. Hoping someone can recommend me a good quality tire gauge that gives accurate, repeatable readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 PM

You pretty much already hit upon the recommendation. Motion Pro or some of that ilk.

Too many people think that "digital = accurate" when in fact quite that is not the case.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Both units are pretty cheap but the gauges are accurate.
I like the "tire minder" as the pressure stays in place 'till you hit the red button to release it.

Got both at Can. Tire stores. 20 bucks on sale and about 5-10 for the gauge.(it is cheap plastic though and won't take a beating)
Works for me!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 06-19-2011 at 09:41 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM

The pencil type $5 gauges are pretty consistent between gauges so if one is off they are all off. I don't know where you can find an official calibrated gauge but if you try three different gauges and they all read the same I would hope you are okay. I tried several $15-20 gauges and the all broke (but looked cool). I curious to see what everyone has tried, Im obsessive with tire inflation. How could you even test your current gauge if you wanted to?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post

Both units are pretty cheap but the gauges are accurate.
I like the "tire minder" as the pressure stays in place 'till you hit the red button to release it.

Got both at Can. Tire stores. 20 bucks on sale and about 5-10 for the gauge.(it is cheap plastic though and won't take a beating)
Works for me!
That's the gauge I used. At least I think it is, got it from Canadian Tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
The pencil type $5 gauges are pretty consistent between gauges so if one is off they are all off. I don't know where you can find an official calibrated gauge but if you try three different gauges and they all read the same I would hope you are okay. I tried several $15-20 gauges and the all broke (but looked cool). I curious to see what everyone has tried, Im obsessive with tire inflation. How could you even test your current gauge if you wanted to?
Easy, do what I did, get as many gauges as you can lay your hands on and test the same tire.

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
That's the gauge I used. At least I think it is, got it from Canadian Tire.

Was it inaccurate?

Easy, do what I did, get as many gauges as you can lay your hands on and test the same tire.
I don't trust gas station air gauges as they sit out in ice, snow, rain and sun, they really get beat on! I pay no mind at all to what the readings are unless I see the accuracy against a "true", trusted, gauge.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Longacre Racing Products' #50347 digital 0-100 psi digital gauge with active display reads in 0.2 psi increments. Available for $32.10: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=213&catid=8

http://pitstopusa.com/i-6737087-long...e-display.html

Pressure Inc compact digital gauge reads in 0.5 psi increments for $13.47:

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5058389-pres...air-gauge.html

You can pay much more for professional quality gauges, including analog and liquid filled:

http://pitstopusa.com/c-132554-pit-e...re-gauges.html
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
The pencil type $5 gauges are pretty consistent between gauges so if one is off they are all off. I don't know where you can find an official calibrated gauge but if you try three different gauges and they all read the same I would hope you are okay. I tried several $15-20 gauges and the all broke (but looked cool). ...
I have had the same experience with tire gages. I have 4 of the pencil type, and they all read identical, and they also agree with the one at the gas station that is built into the air hose. I have had one $25 digital gage. It was very inconsistant. I tossed it in the trash.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
djg

I use pencil type. Car and Driver mag did a test years ago and found them to be accurate. I am an aircraft mechanic. All shop tools must be periodically calibrated, or labeled as not calibrated. New does not mean accurate. 3 or more gauges reading the same is a good indication of accuracy. In my experience, round dial gauges are subject to damage from rough handling or dropping. A pencil gauge is more rugged. I have no experience with electronic type digital gauges.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Talking Cycle Gear Tire Gauge

Cycle Gear is currently running this ad for an accurate and easy to use tire pressure gauge. It is not too portable, and probably won't fit under your bike's seat.
But I find it nice for using in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg email_PWP_stc-tire-gauge_06-11.jpg (128.4 KB, 74 views)

ďDonít bother me with DETAILS!Ē
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM

Another vote for the pencil type gauges. They've been around forever and are trusted because they are both inexpensive and reliable.

They're also easy to store on the bike/luggage!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 AM

I have a ďDragerĒ (made in Germany) mechanical dial gauge that I bought around 1970 which Iíve used on every vehicle Iíve ever owned. I occasionally test it against various other gauges and it is still dead accurate!

I also have a really nice (but not expensive) digital electronic gauge with a bleed-off control that I bought for its low range accuracy to set fork pre-load pressures (6 PSI) but it has a stupidly designed (straight) valve fitting that makes it near impossible to use on the bike.

I also have a couple of pencil type gauges and (somewhat to my surprise) they too are quite accurate.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode