The Versys and Freeway Riding - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
The Versys and Freeway Riding

I am commuting the summer about 35 miles each way, 5x a week. This particular stretch of road is under construction right now and heavily pockmarked, tons of lane changes over construction and lots of crud.

I have really loved my Versys but now find it very tiring at freeway speeds. The bike that I love at 55 miles and hour is not fun for me at 70. I hate the wind at that speed.

What have you done to your bike to make it more freeway friendly?

I have Ascerbis hand guards and Ogio bags, and am doing the 44T sprocket change out on Monday....

Thanks in advance. And for what it's worth, I am six feet tall with a 36 inch inseam.

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I guess you will have to buy one of those humungus windscreens, or take the current windscreen off. One will put you in a cleaner airflow, and one will block most wind but be affected by trucks and SUVs.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 PM

A Calsci windscreen. I was pleasantly surprised by the reduction of buffeting and lessened wind noise. I have the medium size, but would get a large if I were mainly riding freeway.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 PM

I have done quite a bit of long distance riding on my Versys. I have been using the Madstad bracket and a Givi windshield. This allows a wide variety of positions for various circumstances. My biggest gripe about this combination is the glare I get from the reflection of my headlight at night. With the highbeam on it is bothersome. I am thinking of either painting the bottom half of the widshield on the inside or frabricating some time of hood over the topof the headlight.

The Versys cruises well on the superslab, 80-90 is the sweet spot as far as vibration goes with my 15/42 sprocket combination. You just have to take it for what it is, 650cc when you are passing uphill or going into a stiff breeze.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM

I have the same setup as motordog1. (I've never noticed the glare from the headlight). I honestly thing the wind is just something you will get used to after a while. I admit that I was bothered by it for a while too, but I just kept going. I never even think about it anymore. I've been curious about the larger windscreens, but I don't think I'll ever change from the give and the madstad combo.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 PM

I'd find an alternate route and just take the extra time. You'll probably be happier even taking the extra time out of your day not dealing with all the construction and highways.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 PM

If you are not wearing ear plugs now I highly recommend them. It makes high speed riding way more enjoyable because you don't have the roar of the wind.

I have a GIVI windshield on my '09, which takes the wind pressure off my chest, and with the ear plugs I can cruise at 110 kph quite comfortably.

Brian
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM

80mph cruising a breeze on my 2010 with moulded plugs and a Puig screen.
did try a bolt on aerofoil but it was slightly worse.

helmet types make a difference too
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsider View Post
I'd find an alternate route and just take the extra time. You'll probably be happier even taking the extra time out of your day not dealing with all the construction and highways.
I agree 100%, but sometimes it is just not possible or the alternative is worse. I live near a major river that only has 3 bridges in 30 miles and two of those are 1/2 mile apart. The only way to cross the river is interstate or parkway.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 AM

i would also recommend to wear some earplugs, it helps a lot with highway riding. Personally i just flipped my windscreen and let the wind hit me in the chest, the wind isnt super bad. I have a mikes touring shield as well, i kinda like the upside down one because with the intensely hot days i get sometimes i like having the wind hit me.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 AM

There's no question swapping out the stock flyscreen would be a large improvement.

If this bracket, made for the Yamaha XT1200Z, was available for the Versys and used with a CalSci windscreen, I believe life at freeway speed would be much more bearable....maybe even enjoyable.

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...oducts_id=1191

Perhaps with some effort they could be convinced to make one for our bikes.

Once my Super Tenere comes, now delayed by the Japan earthquake for months, I'll be getting one of these brackets and a CalSci screen.

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Madstad bracket, Givi shield, and a laminar lip. Thats what i run and the high way isnt a big deal. As far as wind goes, you will fight it on any bike.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 03:54 PM

I am 5'10 with a 30" inseam. Where do you roll up your legs? LOL I have a Mikes Touring Shield and love it. Along with highway pegs. I normally ride my V with a full face modular and when traveling I use ear buds molded in to ear plugs. (fuze plug style I DO NOT suggest the Fuze product) I think you will find that the plugs will make a large difference in your travels. Go to wally world or someplace and get a cheap set of foam ones. Roll them between your fingers. Lift the ear from the top and insert the plug. Release the ear and then the plug. Let it expand IN the ear canal. I know this sounds pretty simple but I work in a Sheet Metal shop and you would not believe how many people use them incorrectly.

As Far as the pot holes are concerned GOOD LUCK!
I hit one on I90 in Indiana a couple of weeks ago at night. I never saw it but at 70 mph I just about lost the scoot!

I weigh a lot and the wind does not bother me very much any more on any thing I ride.

Good Luck

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffamazon View Post
I am commuting the summer about 35 miles each way, 5x a week. This particular stretch of road is under construction right now and heavily pockmarked, tons of lane changes over construction and lots of crud.

I have really loved my Versys but now find it very tiring at freeway speeds. The bike that I love at 55 miles and hour is not fun for me at 70. I hate the wind at that speed.

What have you done to your bike to make it more freeway friendly?

I have Ascerbis hand guards and Ogio bags, and am doing the 44T sprocket change out on Monday....

Thanks in advance. And for what it's worth, I am six feet tall with a 36 inch inseam.
I ride a 2011 Versys, I am 6 ft with a 32 inch inseam ( long torso ) and weigh 205 lbs. I put a 44T rear Sprocket and a vario windshield on my bike ( see attachment ). I live in rural Co. and usually ride at 65- 80 mph for at least an hour usually 3 hrs with 2-3 breaks. I wear a full face Fulmer modular helmet and 99% of the time I wear earplugs. The only time wind bothers me is when it comes from the side at 30MPH or more, most of the time I'm very comfortable with this set up. OH and I have an Airhawk seat pad.
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000115.jpg (576.6 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg P1000116.jpg (402.9 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg P1000117.jpg (534.8 KB, 419 views)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 AM

I agree with most a bigger wind screen, is probably what you need.
Or fab some brackets of your own.
You can get a stick of 3/4"x1/8" aluminum stock from a hardware store, $7.99 a stick here in Missippi, LOL and make the brackets.
I did, and I am satisfied, you will still want to wear ear plugs though.
PM me if you need more info.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Givi shield, Acerbis dual road handguards, and custom earplugs.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I can hit 100mph every morning going to work on a deserted 3 lane road, no side streets. My point is I have a 7jurock windscreen, any barn door windscreen will do, and it keeps me from blowing off the bike. I ride comfortably and stable hitting 100. I HATED the stock screen, and I took it off completely just to see how it was and it was awful. If you don't care how big your screen is then you will enjoy freeway speeds all day long.

Have fun.

2009 Versys Blue
"It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary."
"Anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about."
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to snarky Send a message via MSN to snarky Send a message via Yahoo to snarky Send a message via Skype™ to snarky
Wear earbuds, flip stock screen upside-down, properly adjust suspension, and get decent tires.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm 6ft with a 36 inseam myself and I've never had a problem with wind at freeway speeds. I removed the aftermarket windscreen my Nighthawk came with after a few months and it's sat collecting dust ever since. I get buffeted by trucks a bit but otherwise I like clean air flowing past and through my helmet and jacket.

The V's stock windscreen doesn't seem to do much, feels a lot like a naked bike on the freeway to me. As the other's have said, if it bothers you get a larger windscreen. It'll deflect almost all the air off your chest and, depending on the screen and your height, your helmet as well.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM

I come from an SV650n, which had no screen and I found the wind to be much more tolerable. My 2011 V seems to put the wind right in my helmet. I adjusted it to be more vertical, but it didn't make too much of a difference. I might try taking it off.

Nick, my height and inseam are the same as you (though I've got more weight on you!)...did you really have to go with that giant screen to help? The screen part looks fine, but I don't want that big honking spoiler on it. How is the MRA screen without the spoiler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode