Got BOUNCED by a car. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got BOUNCED by a car.

Riding in the right lane, 60mph, with traffic. The 3rd passing lane was ending, and a woman, driving a Trailblazer, changed lanes abruptly into my left leg.

I had no time to react. I commute with my girlfriend, and she was on the pillion. Apparently, i kind of screamed (like a girl, I imagine) and the front end of her truck hit the side of the bike.

The bike literally BOUNCED, at least the 2 feet to the shoulder, and then the 4 feet of the shoulder itself. I just kind of held on. Biggest wobble I have ever experienced, and slowed on the (thankfully wide) shoulder.

At this point, I was cussing at the top of my lungs. I thought my left leg must surely be broken, and my girlfriend was yelling at me to calm down, since she was thinking that i was just angry. I stopped, right leg down, since i was favoring my left.

Put my right leg down, then looked at my left. I am missing a bunch of skin on my left shin, since it was pinned between the bike and her truck, but no real damage, and my girlfriend is fine. Like completely fine, we have been riding to work on my XR650L, and she is completely OK with it!

The woman driving is a 61 year old professional woman on her way to work, driving a relatively new (to her) vehicle with a blind spot she is not used to. She was crying, hugging, and trying to force us to go to the ER, which we probably should have done, but didnt...

Long story, but.... Careful Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Wow!! Glad you are OK. Hopefully the other driver learned something and will never make that mistake again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Damn... Did she give you any money at least, for injury and stress relief?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you came out in pretty good shape. To tell you the truth i'm suprised she even pulled over after hitting you. Some don't have a clue or could care less.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM

Always, always, always go to the ER after something like that. Since you refused to go, in many states, you just gave up your rights in case something does turn out to be wrong later on down the road.

Yes, ERs aren't fun places (unless you work there and then they can at least be "interesting"). Yes, it will cost you some time. Make sure her insurance is picking up the tab.

Like others, I'm surprised she cared enough to stop.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Wow! You, my friend are a lucky man. Lucky the bike stayed upright, lucky you maintained control, lucky you didn't get injured worse, lucky she was no some crazy driver, AND lucky to have a good woman riding with you!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM

I'd say your damn lucky she even stopped/realized she had swerved into you. Although from my experience I do seem to get MORE respect when riding the bike than I do in the car or 18-wheeler.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 AM

"I had no time to react," kills us all.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 AM

In addition to going to the ER, never ever leave a crash site without a police report (it's required here in NJ) and exchanging of the insurance info. She may have been all nicey nice at the crash site, but she and her lawyer may change their minds in a day or so. C.Y.A. with both hands...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Always, always, always go to the ER after something like that. Since you refused to go, in many states, you just gave up your rights in case something does turn out to be wrong later on down the road.

Yes, ERs aren't fun places (unless you work there and then they can at least be "interesting"). Yes, it will cost you some time. Make sure her insurance is picking up the tab.
+1...good advice. Also a good idea to get a police report and name of witness if anyone is around. Always keep in mind that the rush of adrenaline the body produces greatly reduces pain. In many instances...people don't know they are "hurt" until the next day or so.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Shoot her truck.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM

i HATE to read about these incidents but i'm really glad when you guys post them. the stories posted about close calls or accidents and the details make me a "better" rider. i'm a new rider (1 year) i took a MSF safety class but these posts from real life experiences keep me from becoming complacent. thanks forum...
-mike
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 AM

Glad you are safe and also for the bike Glad she stopped too, else you may be more mad, and I hope she'll turn and look before changing lanes and don't depend on the mirrors in future. It could save some elses life because she learned.

I had my close calls too, mostly from drivers that are women. Not trying to be a sexist but that's what I have encountered.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode