Useless rant - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Useless rant

I haven't been to the Kawasaki website in a while so after watching the superbike races I figured I would look at the new ZX-10.

$14799!!!!!!!!

That has to be way beyond the means of the target demographic. The New Versys still seems to be priced somewhat reasonable at $7700 though.

Still the best bang the buck in a motorcycle for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM

It lists at 16,499 CAN. on this side of the border.
Tried to get a quote for insurance but it came back not available.
Likely 2 grand or more per year though.
The V came in at 750 or so for me and I'm old! 50 plus!
Talk about being fleeced....rant!
Most youngsters up here ride 250 Ninjas due in part to astronomically high ins. rates.
I was quoted a number of years back on a 1000cc. or so Katana at 2 -3 grand. Needless to say I never bought one.
RANT!

If it weren't for the insurance friendly V I'd be walking for excitement.

Thank-you Kawasaki!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What would the target demographic be for a race ready superbike?

A bike with leading edge suspension, ABS brakes, traction control, etc.

I'm thinking the target demographic is the college educated, mature 30 something who has enough riding experience to handle the power and enough maturity to use where appropriate.

SQUIDS can go buy 10 year old ones since they are going to wreck them anyway.

Comparing the ZX10R to the Versys is like comparing the Porsche Carrera to a Chevy S10 Blazer SR2.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Good points, twowheel......

The Kawasaki dealer I bought my Versys from told me an interesting story about SQUIDS, though...

They come in to the store, want a ZX-10, (or some such thing) and find out they can't afford the insurance. Somehow (maybe through mommy/daddy, etc.) they get enough credit approved through the Kawasaki Credit Card to buy the bike outright.

I was not aware of this, but according to the salesman, if the bike is purchased via the Kawasaki card, you can insure the bike w/out full coverage, as it is considered 'paid-in-full' to the insurance company.

So now they have a $14,000 credit card bill, and a new bike with liability coverage only. Six weeks later,(if that long) the bike is wrecked, and they get tired of making payments on a wrecked bike that they cant afford to fix that they don't have insurance on, and their goes the ol' credit rating. All for a bike that has about 1% practicality for street use.

Whatever!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Purchase the bike with ANY credit card and you don't need the (full coverage) insurance.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
I haven't been to the Kawasaki website in a while so after watching the superbike races I figured I would look at the new ZX-10.

$14799!!!!!!!!

That has to be way beyond the means of the target demographic. The New Versys still seems to be priced somewhat reasonable at $7700 though.

Still the best bang the buck in a motorcycle for sure.
Last statistic I read about sales of supersports, which was some years ago now, was that they are primarily purchased by men in their mid-30s. I thought that was interesting, since I mostly see guys in their twenties running around on them. But I suppose you can only tell if they're not wearing a helmet (which seems like most of them), so the average could be higher if the 30+ dudes are mostly either wearing lids or are tracking the bikes.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Purchase the bike with ANY credit card and you don't need the (full coverage) insurance.
No, but you DO pay credit card interest rates. And that's stupid.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I didn't say it was a good idea.......

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say it was a good idea.......
It could be, depending on interest rate and amount financed. If the finance charges over the payoff average less than the comp/collision portion of your monthly premium, I'd see doing that. I did that, actually. Kawasaki's no interest for one year deal was underwritten by HSBC's credit card arm. Financed about half the bike that way. Still had and have full coverage, even though the bike's now paid. Don't feel like running actual numbers, but if the card you use is at or below about 10% APR, you're not that far behind going rate for loans anyway.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
Last statistic I read about sales of supersports, which was some years ago now, was that they are primarily purchased by men in their mid-30s. I thought that was interesting, since I mostly see guys in their twenties running around on them.
yeah, that's because the adult sportbike riders aren't posing at the Dairy Queen. they motor to the canyons/mtns, strafe and motor home to wifey. or, as you say, they are towing to the track. there are plenty of these guys out there, lots of my buddies. i might have a CBR thou right now if i hadn't stumbled upon a trade deal for the versys. i'm recently past the 30-somethings.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode