What to do to a stock Versus - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What to do to a stock Versus

Possibly an old topic(should be a sticky) but what are the 'must do' mods to a stock 08-09 Versys? how are the oem tires, brakes,etc? And does lowering help only those with short inseams? Any real life suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Ride it.

No seriously, ride it first and then see what you would want to change.
Your wish list might change after experiencing the bike and getting used to it.

Stock tires are OK but not much loved. Luckily tires wear and you can replace them with your favorite flavor (on-road, somewhat off-road, long-wearing, crazy-sticky, etc.).
For my 99% on road I really like Avon Storm, but I think I will try others like Dunlop Roadsmarts, Conti Trail Attack, perhaps even Shinko Ravens.

Stock brakes are fine, good aftermarket brake pads make them better. EBC, Ferodo, Vesrah. They all have good metallic sintered pads that brake better when wet and last longer and retain their good braking longer in their life.

Speedy's lowering kit works well for inseam-challenged people. I'm still waiting for seat-raising kit.

Last edited by Pretbek; 06-13-2011 at 04:23 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Ride it.
+ 1

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Read this forum a lot. then you can learn from what others have done before you make mods.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM

For Me, musts
1. Some luggage, have to be able to carry stuff
2. Rear spring, now that I've replaced the spring and felt the difference it's a necessity.

Since the question was asked.
I will never enumerate my mod's in my forum signature.
I find it rather _.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 06-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 PM

I put on speigler s.s. brake lines much better feel. I am 5-11 so comfort wise I installed speedys peg lowering blocks and bar risers raised front of seat. ( waiting on sargent seat this fall release) ride it you will see what you need.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Best thing to make you LOVE your Versys is to also own a 30 year old "standard" and ride it once a week. Every time you get on the V after that you will feel like you just got a new rocket to ride!

Seriously the advice to ride is great. Then, once you really know the bike, if you start to find weaknesses "fix" them one at a time.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM

I agree. Just ride it for a while then address the discrepencies that you find for where and how you utilize the bike. I like my Givi screen, lowering link, brush guards and heated grips, but it sure does not mean they are a necessity. Arguably the bike may be fine stone stock...or not!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Ride it and only add what you think you need. If you find something you like the looks of, search threads here to see what time and miles has said about the product. Just remember, everyone online has an opinion, whether they are right or wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM

If you have any cowl buzz fix it. It is not that hard. Lots of threads on this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Yes, RIDE IT! Dennis is smarter than he looks, and a fine pastry chef when the opportunity arises.

My bike was used and already had a larger windshield on a Madstad bracket and Givi V35's on Givi racks. I like to ride long distances so I would have done something along these lines anyway.

Among the things I added from the get-go, based on 25 years of riding experience, were a loud horn, auxiliary driving lights, grip heaters and a power port (the last three wired through a Fuzeblock). The previous owner had debadged the bike so I rebadged it a MOTO BONES.

After putting some miles on longer tours, I did some other things. I realized I needed to upgrade the seat. Sent it to Spencer to work his magic. I put on some KTM hand guards which improve the effectiveness of the grip heaters by reducing the wind blast on my hands. When my front brakes got all grabby I put EBC brake pads on and the problem went away. After the stock tires I've had Avon Distanzias, Michelin Anokees, and now Pirelli Scorpion Syncs. (The Pirellis are the best for the kind of riding I do, Distanzias wore out way too fast, Michelins were too chunky). I added a tail rack for a Givi top case and put an extra rear running light/brake light on the rack. I put on a set of crash bars. I've probably done some other things and I'll probably do some more.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysbill Send a message via Yahoo to versysbill
A stock Versys does not need that much done to it actually I have changed mine to fit my likes and personality! Personality changes included powder coating my spring to match my bike's paint color, Carbon fiber hand guards and rear fender eliminator kit. Functional changes for myself include putting on Pirelli MT60 60/40 tires (have some back country and fire road travel coming up plus i like the meatier look) Changed my lower cowling from silver to black (just aesthetics but it looks great) Added a power outlet to my dash for any future needs - so there are numerous things you can do which are mostly just a matter of taste, function and personality as opposed to down right NEED. Browse the forums and ride the bike and see what develops

------------------------------------------------------

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 Green
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Limited Edition
2002 Honda S2000

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't know where to start..

Best thing like others have stated. ride it and mold it to what you want or need.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 PM

...and when you do it, do it in stages. I find that gives the best satisfaction. I would add in a DNA air filter, makes slow speed ride much better, and less jerking.

If you can handle the V w/o adding in the lowering kit, that I think would be the best, leaving it stock. Lowering the bike requires the bike kick stand to be shorten, front shocks adjusted, besides adding the lowering kit for the mono. But if you encounter heavy traffic on uneven roads and shoulders, then it would feel better and more secure with a lowered bike. However, with the V, I keep an eye on the road conditions more, and avoid being in a situation where my feet can't touch the road. Was riding the Ninja 250R which was way lower prior to the V. My legs with full outstretched would only flat foot on the road on the V. But some times I tip toe a little so that I dun fully stretch my legs. The V is pretty well balanced even with a passenger on it and it doesn't affect my riding unlike the Ninja 250R which is not designed for a passenger.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Just the things I wanted to hear. Yes mods will come post riding for a few 100 smiles but people even mod their Porsches & Vipers to improve inherent shortcomings. Personalizing to fit is of course, up to the rider. Thsi was the same with my turbo Forester-great place to start but had built in design flaws that once modded, transformed the car.

Good suggestions on the brake likes, pads, buzz and tires.

Any remapping needed with a muffler swap? One I'm looking at has a 2 Bros.

Last edited by houseofcharm; 06-15-2011 at 09:27 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
were a loud horn
Installing a loud horn is the only "Must Do" Mod on the V in my opinion.
The stock one is near useless when moving down the road even at slow speeds. I installed a Stebel Horn and the 140 decibels it puts out has been more than enough to wake up some inattentive cagers even at freeway speed.
Everything else is just individual personalizing you figure out as you put some miles on.

And just to give Speedy a plug, his stuff is very good quality. I have his Flatfoot, Mirror Extenders and GPS Mount.
http://motowerk.com/default.aspx
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Rik

pm sent to houseofcharm
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
pm sent to houseofcharm
That name reminds me of a Bordello!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode