Stayin' Safe Advanced Rider Training - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stayin' Safe Advanced Rider Training

Hey gang,
FWIW I thought I would let you know that this weekend I joined up with the Stayin' Safe tour in CT http://www.stayinsafe.com/ and it was a heck of a time. I think all the riders (6 of us plus two instructors) came away having learned something new and riding a lot more confidently.

The methodology is all about looking as far down the road as you can and planning accordingly, and developing tools to help you do both those things.

Overall I thought the approach was great. Having the instructors mic'd up so you can get immediate feedback on everything from your braking, to shifting, to speed, to turn placement is really key. And doing it live on the road is great, tons of real life situations cause it is real life! Cyclists coming at you while cars are turning and stuff you can read about and practice in a parking lot, but just doesn't come together without being in it and getting professional insight/experience.

Anyway, we had all types. Relative newbs like me (~10k mi under my belt?) up to 30 yr guys. Someone said it well when they said 'there's a different b/w having 30 yrs of experience and having one year's experience 30 times over'.

Would encourage anyone interested in getting some new ideas on riding to check it out. And the instructors are a little more geared towards 'sport touring' type riding (1 guy on a 1200GS and 1 on an older beemer CL something) v straight up sport-hang-off-the-bike stuff.

E$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 PM

looks cool, albeit thats a bit too rich for my blood!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineout View Post
looks cool, albeit thats a bit too rich for my blood!
How much is your life worth?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Well I won't argue that it's not inexpensive, but I thought to myself would I rather spend $100 and ride around cones in a parking lot, or be on the road with an expert and learn. In the long run it's cheap if you bring home even one trick that keeps you on the bike and out of the hospital.

But before you just say 'too expensive' - if you find it interesting I would encourage you to reach out to them and see if you can meet up for an hour, maybe take them for a test drive and see what you think about it.

E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode