Versys alternatives - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys alternatives

I would love to see a 1000cc Versys with maybe slightly higher suspension components. Anyone else feel this way? Kinda like an affordable Japanese version of the BMW 1200GS or Ducatti Multistrada.

Also I've heard of the Honda Crossrunner but have not seen it on the Honda website or in dealers. Is Honda not bringing this to North America?

Last edited by Sprocket; 06-11-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM

I like it! It looks like it has a comfortable riding position too.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 AM

Multistrada Power...

I rode with a Ducati Multistrada S today and the motor has loads of torque but at $20,000 Our little 650 Versys with a bigger bore size...say ,750 cc would be fun , but we can't have the bling factor of Ohlins suspension and traction control...for $7,000...man the front air scoops are cool though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multistrada 003.jpg (705.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg multistrada 004.jpg (783.8 KB, 260 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:43 AM

I saw the Cross Runner at the 2010 m/c show, didn't like it much. I now have sat on it at my local Honda dealers and...................still don't like it much. The styling just doesn't do it for me, but the riding position for your upper half is dead on. However, Honda have just kept the same footrest hangers from the VFR Vtec, and this means that your feet are set quite far back and thus cramps the kness too much. I remember how my legs/knees used to get sore on long rides on my Vtec, so for a little extra thought (and money), they could have made the riding position so much better.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Honda Crossdresser.... hmmm not for me. Rumor has a brand new (completely redesigned) V-Strom coming for 2012... Official news release will be on June 15th...

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Crosser is ****e ugly and does not appeal to me
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The extra power doesn't necessarily come with extra load capacity. The Versys already gets you to illegal speeds quickly.

I think a parallel twin 1000 would be too big a motor and I'm not interested in more cylinders at the moment.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 AM

It's already made. The Triumph Tiger 1050. Take one for a ride, you'll be sold. The 1050 Tiger is superior to the Versys in every way (keeping in mind it is not a budget commuter). Way more power, much smoother, better suspension etc etc. Used prices are very reasonable.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

I've been watching "Long Way Round" again and and it has reminded me how much of a PAIN heavy bikes can be. Once the wheels start spinning you don't need more power, you need less weight! Just my :02

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 AM

I like to go WOT in more than just one or two gears without getting into massive speeds far too quickly. I've done liter bikes, and they're not for me for that reason. I don't want to have to go gently on the throttle for fear of the laws of the land or of physics; that's simply no fun.

I wouldn't blame Kawk for not making it, either. Suzuki listened to the people who said the SV650 was a great little bike, but could they make one with a bit more power, and better suspension and brakes? And then practically nobody bought the SV1000.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM

I think a 650 is perfect on a bike like this. I'm somewhat of a fatty at 220# and 6'2" and I have never asked for more power out of the bike. Also, you have $$ savings by having much lower insurance rates compared to a 1k cc bike. Obviously fuel economy is in play here too.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I like to go WOT in more than just one or two gears without getting into massive speeds far too quickly.
'

Exact reason I'm buying a V. Bought a 1200 Bandit and figured I could deal with the power. Bike rode fine but I got bored with it real quick, the only place you could exercise it safely was on the freeway on ramp and even then it could hit 90mph in first. My Nighthawk can be redlined in the first 3 and only hit 60 .

Sprocket, last I heard Honda was not planning on bringing either of the two bikes stateside. Honda these days just isn't what is used to be.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
The V is a great bike and I plan on keeping mine for a while, but a 750-800cc twin would be perfect. Would get a bit more power, while still being tractable and with decent fuel economy. Be like the Aprillia Shiver or BMW F800GS, but cheaper and with better reliability than either.

Now I believe that the current V engine can't really be bored out, but some extra stroke could be an option for an extra 100-150cc. And that would give some nice extra torque, never a bad thing...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM

If I wanted a bigger motor I would have bought a Z1000/750 or an F8. Oh wait, cancell that F8, I will never buy another Yamaha POS. The Versys is exactly how I want it, I never need more power and rarely get to use what I already have. How do people with liter bikes keep their license? How fast does everyone ride?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
How do people with liter bikes keep their license? How fast does everyone ride?
Luck? My riding buddy just bought a 2011 ZX10R. he is 39 years old and in a position of responsibility. He found himself going 80 on a 45 MPH curvy backroad and he said it felt pedestrian. Why would you want a bike that is boring at almost double the speed limit? Cause you can I guess.

He has to ride one handed when he rides with me to add a little bit of challenge.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Weljo, you missed a fun ride Saturday. Nice group, lots of laughs, a great time. All of us had our women along.

I was pleasantly surprised that mine had such a great time. She even wanted to go out again on Sunday! I've had the bike two years and she's been on it once, was scared to death. Had the big 'strom for 3 years she never would get on it. Go figure.

So if this continues I'm gonna want a better mount for two. Nice looking honda - can't get it here? The Tiger 800XC triple is looking better all the time, maybe even a tiger 1050. Probly the latter, can pickup used at a good price. Would rather have something more slanted toward adventure riding though, with comfort and zip for 2-up. I never dreamed my wife might become my best riding buddy.

The little v did pretty good though, not hard to ride with 2 at all. We are about 350lbs combined, so getting pretty close to that max. Ran the preload up to the second click and put 42lbs in the rear tire. Plenty of power, pretty comfortable. Not sure about 300 mile days though.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode