Repurposing the headlight flasher switch - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Repurposing the headlight flasher switch

I don't find any great need for the left side trigger finger switch that flashes the high beams on my U.S. model Versys. It's a great switch wasted on a little used function as far as I'm concerned.

That being the case, I would find it highly useful to be able to cycle through the modes of the instrument panel multi-display using this switch as an alternative to the difficult to operate MODE switch located on the panel itself. I plan on attempting this mod and thought I would ask if it has been done before so I am not reinventing the wheel.

If it hasn't been tried before, then I will do my best to document the process step-by-step when I attempt it, and share my results through this website. So, has anybody tried this before? And if so, any pointers, hints, tips or, best of all, complete instructions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM

It has been done a few times and documented. Use the search function.

Found this one quick.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=remote+switch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Nothing wrong with repurposing it I suppose, but I like to have the flash capability. I find it is quite effective if I am riding along and there are side streets that intersect the road I am on. If I see a cage that is waiting to turn onto the road I am on, and I am not sure they see me, I like to flash my light in an effort to make sure I am spotted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 04:37 PM

I use mine all the time too.....Mostly on the interstate to let the semi's/trucks/trailers, etc. know when they are clear to make a lane change. But, I'm one of those guys that does the same thing when I am driving my pick-em-up truck too.
Good luck with the mod....it does sound cool.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
Nothing wrong with repurposing it I suppose, but I like to have the flash capability. I find it is quite effective if I am riding along and there are side streets that intersect the road I am on. If I see a cage that is waiting to turn onto the road I am on, and I am not sure they see me, I like to flash my light in an effort to make sure I am spotted.
I should try to start doing this, especially at night. It could have potentially saved me a crash last fall.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
I've used it for the same purpose, although I just got to thinking...in that situation I wonder if the other driver might take the flashing as "Come on out buddy" instead of "Stay put dude"?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
I've used it for the same purpose, although I just got to thinking...in that situation I wonder if the other driver might take the flashing as "Come on out buddy" instead of "Stay put dude"?

Maybe this is a regional thing....where I live, when you flash the lights, it means, "I see you, you are clear, feel free to pull in front of me".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirreltoe View Post
Maybe this is a regional thing....where I live, when you flash the lights, it means, "I see you, you are clear, feel free to pull in front of me".
When I want to be seen, I hold the high beam or flip the switch until I pass for that very reason.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Rik

Down here in Gulf coast Florida the "euro" flasher is an essential tool to keep roving packs of geriatrics in Crown Vics and similar land yachts alerted to your presence at any intersection and roadway convergence thus preventing aforementioned conveyances from destroying your moto and your anatomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode