Kaoko Cruise Control Installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kaoko Cruise Control Installation

It took about 20 minutes to install. You need a #6 hex socket and a heat gun. I tried without the heat gun and didn't like the sounds coming from the handlebars. The heat made it quick and easy. You reuse the M8 screw. There is a set screw on the control, it should be stiff turning. The directions are very simple to follow. I haven't tried it out yet, but will in the next couple days. The lock is very easy to override if you need to. They recommend mild thread locker on the screw, so I had some blue laying around.

Here is the old bar end weight and screw. A quick trip on the wire wheel removed the old locktite or whatever it is Kawasaki uses.

I ran a nylon bore brush on the threads inside the handlebar to clean up the old locktite.

The cruise control with new bar end weight, thrust washer and screw.

Completed farkle

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by G19Tony; 06-09-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Hows it working?

How is the cruise control working?
How do you set it while riding?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeore39648 View Post
How is the cruise control working?
How do you set it while riding?
I have the same throttle lock as the OP. It is not cruise control(maintain the same speed as in your car). What these do is lock the throttle in the same location. So if you set it while accelerating you will keep speeding up.

I like it foe highway use. I do not use it for long distances, just a minute here and there to rest my hand.
To set it....There is a ring that spins between the throttle tube and the end weight. You spin that ring backwards toll it pushes against the throttle tube creating to much resistance for the throttle to close.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

That's all I want to use it for too. Just rest my hand for a bit. The knurled knob was too loose on my test ride, I had to turn it too much to get it to lock, so I tightened the set screw. I haven't had a chance to try it out again.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I have the same throttle lock as the OP. It is not cruise control(maintain the same speed as in your car). What these do is lock the throttle in the same location. So if you set it while accelerating you will keep speeding up.

I like it foe highway use. I do not use it for long distances, just a minute here and there to rest my hand.
To set it....There is a ring that spins between the throttle tube and the end weight. You spin that ring backwards toll it pushes against the throttle tube creating to much resistance for the throttle to close.
ditto....after watching the video on their site I was impressed with the way the it worked, to this day I can never set the throttle lock like the video does.....even though it can be harder to set than the video shows, on a long ride on the interstate it proves to be invaluable. I don't use it more than a few minutes at a time however and I highly recommend it. I give it 4 stars out of 5.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM
rlj

and about using a heat gun to heat the bar end weight before removing, highly recommended!!! I didn't and I stripped the hex bolt, it was a bear trying to remove it. A 5-10 minute job ended up taking 45 minutes and four cold ones.......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
and about using a heat gun to heat the bar end weight before removing, highly recommended!!! I didn't and I stripped the hex bolt, it was a bear trying to remove it. A 5-10 minute job ended up taking 45 minutes and four cold ones.......
The 4 cold ones may be why it took 45 mins. Actully thats pretty good time for that much beer that quick.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode