ECU disruption? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ECU disruption?

Hey folks. I have a reall pain to ask some advice on. I have "concerned citizen" at work that is trying to "save" me from myself. This individual keeps somehow scrambeling my ECU and distrupting it some how. Symptom is that it inititaly won't start. Then it will start and die. Rinse and repeat. If I disconnect my battery and reconnect I believe that the computer resets itself. I have tried putting on an alarm, but the only thing I notice is that my alarm stops responding and by that time it is too late and the a$$h is gone. Is there a way to stop this besides beating the guy down? Can the V be shielded some how?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 PM

if this is true i would break every bone in his face

report back to us if it works
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Try taking a small pebble and placing them in the concerned citizens valve caps tighten until the air starts to come out. Leaving him or her with 4 flats to air up. Then to them its not so funny and maybe they'll quit.

If its at work talk to thier supervisor about it.

I like siyeh solution also.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Are you sure it's a person messing with it and not just a problem? If you know who it is have him arrested. He is tampering with you vehicle, your property, and your life. Setup a video camera to catch him on film. After the system fails you pour bleach down his throat after you've beaten him to your satisfaction.... or maybe just pour it in his gas tank.

As for shielding, unless you know what he's doing to it not much you can do.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

Rubber mounts for the ECU to make it more tazer proof.j/k.
Park under the nearest security camera?
Written report to management documenting the instances.
Take a day off, go in, wait in a buddies car nearby with a camera.
Involve the Police and the company together.
Get proof, not revenge.
My .02

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So this is a totally out of nowhere act by someone you hardly know? Or is this part of the culture where you work? You are totally innocent of any such acts yourself?

If yes, no, yes, then I would try and get proof and either press charges or get the guy fired or both. He can cause permanent damage that could rear it's ugly head while you are travelling down the road.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

No totally out of no where I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So this is a totally out of nowhere act by someone you hardly know? Or is this part of the culture where you work? You are totally innocent of any such acts yourself?

If yes, no, yes, then I would try and get proof and either press charges or get the guy fired or both. He can cause permanent damage that could rear it's ugly head while you are travelling down the road.
I can't think of anything that I have done to bother anyone I work with currently. Starting with the police tomorrow.

Cheers!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 PM

I can't think of anything one would do to your bike that would result in those symptoms without having access to a computer connected to your bike. Even then, you'd have to be knowledgeable to mess up the ECU or FI settings quickly and reliably every time.

Look for a different root cause of this problem. This doesn't mean there isn't a problem with your ECU, I just have a hard time believing it's caused by someone at work.

Grab a copy of the manual and follow the instructions on page 3-27 to eliminate any of the more mundane causes (includes test of ECU). If everything checks out OK, then maybe you do need a surveillance cam on the bike when it's parked at work.

Good luck,

Gustavo

Last edited by Gustavo; 06-07-2011 at 09:26 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Again are you sure this is someone screwing with your bike and not a problem? If you don't have any reasonable suspects it sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2009 Green Versys

Last edited by Stumpifier; 06-07-2011 at 09:27 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Hey folks. I have a reall pain to ask some advice on. I have "concerned citizen" at work that is trying to "save" me from myself.
Did you get that loudest exhaust you wanted already? How's your Allied Pacific battery? Does it start and run after you disconnect and reconnect battery? Is your idle set at 1300 rpm once warmed up and settled down? Any UFO sightings lately?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM

:interesting

I had my bike "bog" starting the other day...these "kids" are clever....
Have "they" discovered "something?"

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpifier View Post
Again are you sure this is someone screwing with your bike and not a problem? If you don't have any reasonable suspects it sounds like you're jumping to conclusions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Well I ride a lot and only work 3 days a week. I have taken rides. Got the bike nice and hot and parked it out in the sun under my cover all afternoon for three days and no problems. Starts up every time. Seems to only happen at work. I know this is not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close.

While I try to park under security cams at work. It funny how the tend to change position.

Cheers!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Well. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Did you get that loudest exhaust you wanted already? How's your Allied Pacific battery? Does it start and run after you disconnect and reconnect battery? Is your idle set at 1300 rpm once warmed up and settled down? Any UFO sightings lately?
Stock exhaust, alarm has battery meter built in and it shows within limits. Idle is just fine. Once I disconnect/reconnect the battery.

Cheers!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hey folks. I have a reall pain to ask some advice on. I have "concerned citizen" at work that is trying to "save" me from myself. This individual keeps somehow scrambeling my ECU and distrupting it some how. Symptom is that it inititaly won't start. Then it will start and die. Rinse and repeat. If I disconnect my battery and reconnect I believe that the computer resets itself. I have tried putting on an alarm, but the only thing I notice is that my alarm stops responding and by that time it is too late and the a$$h is gone. Is there a way to stop this besides beating the guy down? Can the V be shielded some how?

This reminds me of a saying that a co-worker once told me...

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you."

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well I ride a lot and only work 3 days a week. I have taken rides. Got the bike nice and hot and parked it out in the sun under my cover all afternoon for three days and no problems. Starts up every time. Seems to only happen at work. I know this is not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close.

While I try to park under security cams at work. It funny how the tend to change position.

What kind of business do you work at ?

I've "burned" two remote garage door opener by putting them beside my cel phone, which rang while being close to each other and cause the damn remote to become unusable (fried, kaput, garbage)

If you park near a big magnetic feild (important electrical distribution for the "shop" in which you work, transformer, big electrical motor, aerial line, antena for wi-fi or cel phone ...) MAYBE it could disrupt the ecu (I'm on a limb here, but I've seen what intense electrical feild can do on small electronic)
I studied in electronic and we had a tv station right beside our class and we had to use faraday cages on our small electronic to have the right desired fonction because their broacasting antena were disrupting everything ...

Anyway, my .02

Good luck

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 06-08-2011 at 08:25 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Paranoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
This reminds me of a saying that a co-worker once told me...

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you."

My tinfoil hat fits just fine thanks.

Cheers!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM

You're finding it in different positions? If someone is screwing with you then you can't assume he wouldn't notice you not at your desk so you can't be there watching the bike. Setup a video camera to watch your bike for a day or two. Someone to watch may work but video is irrefutable proof. It'd be best if you could get one of your coworkers to place it in his car, tinted windows would be best.

If you see nothing and the bike does it, there you go. Lores is probably right in that case.

Good luck.

2009 Green Versys
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
Rubber mounts for the ECU to make it more tazer proof.j/k.
Park under the nearest security camera?
Written report to management documenting the instances.
Take a day off, go in, wait in a buddies car nearby with a camera.
Involve the Police and the company together.
Get proof, not revenge.
My .02
I think Ron has it right, "get proof, not revenge". But get revenge when there are no witnesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode