Dropped it today... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Dropped it today...

It finally happened...The V went over and I couldn't stop it. Was about to pull out into traffic when I don't know what happend, foot slipped, grabbed the brake....sand....locust, flood, famine?? All I know is some how it was leaned over to the point I couldn't stop it....went to the ground slow then kinda pitched be off the bike. Thankfully I was wearing full gear as my head slammed into a railroad tie and my knee hit pretty hard on the pavement. If I hadn't had the helmet I would have been sending this from the ER as I would have had a nasty gash on the top of my head.

Two good Sams came over and helped me get the bike up and made sure I was alright....The only real bruise being my ego....oddly enough the Sams were cagers, at least a dozen bikers rode by...Thanks whoever you guys were.

The bike is remarkably ok....just a few scratches on the bar end weight, a small scuff on the crash bars and some scuffs on the plastic corners of the tracks box. really not noticeable unless your looking for it. Consider myself very lucky and hope that's the last time its on its side. Finished the ride without indecent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Welcome to the club and now that's one less event in your live you have to worry about. Glad you weren't hurt, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. At least you weren't going i80 mph when you dropped it.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM

I remember well the first (and second) time that happened to me (and hopefully I've now fulfilled my quota!)

It's good to hear the damage to both the bike and you were minimal. It says a lot for the crash bars and your gear....it's a good testimonial.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Never fun especially when it's something stupid like that that you think can't happen to you. We've all got one, admit it or not. I borked my Nighthawk pulling off the side of the road at like 5mph. Road it home but bent the shift lever, broke the clutch lever, and fractured my ego.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Time for a new helmet. If it is a quality one ($$) most of those companies will let you send it in for inspection. A good hit uses up some of the energy absorbing material that does not spring back.

Time to start doing squats and leg lifts so you can either hold the bike up or spring off of it instead of going down with it.

Glad you were not injured.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hate it when that happens, glad your okay
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Really glad you are alright. Also would like to tell you that I saw the Harley Riders sneak up on you and tip you over.

Here in Wisconsin they (the Harley Riders) sneak around at night and tip over cows.

Now you know where all that Pirate Leather comes from.

Seriously though. I am glad you did not get hurt. I can not tell you how many times I have dropped my Versys.

lol

Ride em if ya got em!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Mines been down twice, both times in parking lots, both times on the right side. and the only damages were scraped up the bar end weight, broke the tip of the brake handle, and slight damage to the front blinker. So I know how you feel.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I didn't really think about replacing the helmet. Its an HJC IS-33..about $135. Probably not worth sending back for inspection. There is a scuff mark where it hit. Maybe I'll give HJC a call see what they think.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I didn't really think about replacing the helmet. Its an HJC IS-33..about $135. Probably not worth sending back for inspection. There is a scuff mark where it hit. Maybe I'll give HJC a call see what they think.
It is not the outside of the shell so much as the hard foam liner that is under the padding. Once it absorbs energy it doesn not spring back. I don't know how much of an impact is required to compress the foam though.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 PM

sorry it happened. glad you're ok.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
djg

I dropped my TDM twice, once in my own garage. Nobody saw me, so no problem.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It is not the outside of the shell so much as the hard foam liner that is under the padding. Once it absorbs energy it doesn not spring back. I don't know how much of an impact is required to compress the foam though.
Forgot to mention the helmet earlier.

Two concerns when a helmet has taken an impact, the shell and the foam liner. The shell keeps the helmet together and on your head. While the glue would probably keep it together in the event of a full length crack I'd still rather not hedge my brains on that bet. Any serious scrapes to the shell and I replace mine. The foam generally doesn't take damage from being dropped unless your head is in it but even falling off a bike standing still can permanently deform the foam. The foam also degrades over time, I wouldn't keep a helmet longer than 3-5 years. If you've hit your head with the helmet on then it's done it's job and has been expended. A helmet is cheap life insurance, don't mess around.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Crash bars pay for themselves on the first drop. Did the same thing. Small scratch on the crash bars and, like you, a scuffed bar end weight.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 PM

All you wanted to know about helmets..more or less
LINKY

Ride em if ya got em!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

well....

my xr has been down countless times, i guess that happens off road. on road? first time, i was 15, no license, no permission, high sided a brand new honda shadow 750. my father nearly killed me, and i will never live it down. a few nastier accidents, and then the versys. once i let the sidestand sink in the ground, girlfriend had to jump off. once, rounding a 180, simply dropped it. thats well over 200,000 miles of riding, and lots of embarrassing stuff. good that you are uninjured, chalk it up to experience. happens to everyone!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
MTS

Glad you are ok! Walking my V out from behind my patio and got it in to close to me and a tree on the other side. Ha! Ha! Well what can I say!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like I have a good excuse to give the war department as to why I need a new helmet...

Been hemorrhaging cash lately so it will have to wait....I have a backup helmet to use in the mean time.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Luckily your sliders took most of the damage?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Ever notice the drops always seem to happen when there are plenty of other people around to observe your embarrassment? It happened to me last week as well. Came to a stop in gravel, misjudged my foot placement, and down it went. There were plenty of opportunities on that trip to lay it down with no one looking. Nope. It had to happen in front of the restaurant windows next to a family getting out of their minivan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode