Kawi ticket to ride. Seeing if in Im missing something - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kawi ticket to ride. Seeing if in Im missing something

Just got off a C14. Absurd amount of power. Silk smooth power delivery. Great handling for such a big bike. Dissappointed with the ergos. Handlebars are too low for me. Too much lean forward for touring. Waiting to try the ninja 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Good stuff. I'm thinking about going to one myself for exactly those same bikes.

BTW, how tall are you?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 PM

If you don't like the forward lean of the C14, I doubt you'll like the Ninja 1000.

Both are nice bikes.....I think you should buy one!!! lol

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I felt like the C14 spread my legs too far and I would only buy it if I was doing coast to coast touring. I never felt the power, but was never able to get the RPMs up high.

For me the Ninja 1000 was buzzy in the right foot, and too leaned over.

The Versys on the other hand was the best ride of the three and the one I bought. With just the throttle I can ride the front tire just off the pavement through 3rd, and by then I am going insanely fast. Why would I ever want more power than that and sacrifice fuel economy?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Should mention that risers are available for the C14, but not sure how tall they are.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Back home now. Rode the ninja 1000. Fast, fun, ergos are much better than expected. The lean forward is about the same as the connie. However, since it's a lot smaller and nimbler than the connie it is not as objectionable. This bike is extremely comfortable. However, Im not convinced its a bike to spend 6,8 hrs riding in a single day. Still the versys ergos are very hard to beat. Did I say it is fast The ride took us through a set of twisties. This thing felt it have a wrap drive when exiting turns. I would have a very hard to keep up with this one on a versys.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

While the connie power delivery is so smooth that makes the ride almost boring, the ninja 1000 felt like a very civilized rocket. Fun, fast, fun, fast, handling was extraordinary. Both bikes remind me to check the breaks on mine. The electronic break controls in the connie are fantastic. When applying the rear break only, like I do to control mid turn speed, you get a very suttle reminder with a vert small movement in the front break lever. I could not feel the ftont break engaging. However, felt the slight release of the pressure on the front break lever.

Not totally convinced to give up the versys for neither of them. But Im inclined in favor of the connie. It fits.better the kind of riding I do when touring. It's in everyday riding that the versys beats both of these.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

BTW . Connie rides 2,500 rpms @70mph in 6th. During the ride through the twisties I only shift to third once just to see what happened. Like I said in the earlier post, the amount of power in the connie is absurd. Still will like to have it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Yep- I agree. The Versys, C14, and the Ninja 1000 all have their niche, and are all nice bikes. Be great to have one of each to fit the mood a guy was in!!! I think the Versys does the best job of covering the bases........
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Started the phsycological treatment on my wife to see if I can have the cake and eat it too.

BTW they had a 2011 Versys. The red on black looks awesome. Did not had a chance to ride it. However, got it started while sitting on it and rev it to see if the rubber mounts made a difference. The vibes did came down a bit. Will have to ride it for a while to see if it really made much of a difference.

Last edited by Boricua; 06-05-2011 at 12:08 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Surprised you found the 1000 ergo's more comfortable than the connie. Not surprised about the "more fun to ride" ratio.

Sitting in the store and NOT riding them, the connie seems more comfortable to me.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Surprised you found the 1000 ergo's more comfortable than the connie. Not surprised about the "more fun to ride" ratio.

Sitting in the store and NOT riding them, the connie seems more comfortable to me.
One can easily get a completely wrong impression that way. One example: I loved the way the Triumph America felt in the showroom, but hated it on the road. It was something that made me very nervous about buying the Versys; I wasn't able to take a test ride. But the triangle was good enough that I took the chance, and am not sorry I did. I'm personally not surprised that someone who likes the Versys position would prefer the N1000. It's very similar, with a bit more forward lean. The C14's a bit more aggressive in that regard, IIRC. And wider.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
I'm personally not surprised that someone who likes the Versys position would prefer the N1000. It's very similar, with a bit more forward lean. The C14's a bit more aggressive in that regard, IIRC. And wider.

Your comment is right on the money. However, my expectations can be part of the reason. I was expecting the connie to be a very comfortable long range bike. With my short arms I do not know if I want to spend two or three hours non stop down the highway in a stock connie. I saw a bar riser on the web that might fix the problem. I was expecting the Ninja to have an agressive position and felt it very comfortable. I also tested the Ninja second which might have given me time to adjust myself to a more aggresive lean forward.

BTW Now I feel I need to adjust my Versys clutch and breaks. I liked them a lot on the Ninja, or I can get back used to them

Wife is already stating her objection to a more expensive ride. She wants her BMW first. It's going to be a long hard sell.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Wife is already stating her objection to a more expensive ride. She wants her BMW first. It's going to be a long hard sell.
i'm not married, but i think you should go ahead with the beemer. grease the skids, man.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

When I say BMW I mean the ones with four wheels, a sun roof and leather seats. There is a reason why it is called the ultimate driving machine.

After you buy one you are broke and cannot afford anything else. Including a bike. I will try the old fashion thing. Flowers and a year membership for a Spa. If that does not work I get a new set of tires and a new chain for the Versys and keep riding
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Garage
Z1000 looks more upright than ninja1000 or connie

Option ?

LOP
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Z1000 looks more upright than ninja1000 or connie

Option ?

LOP
Capt Kirk had a link to a ergo link that you can put your height, inseam and test any bike for your sitting lean angle, can't find it at moment but from memory Z1000 is more up right as I am interested in the Z1000SX.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Last edited by kiwi 41; 06-07-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: found link
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I did not notice any difference between Z1000 and Ninja 1000. cycle-ergo.com have both bikes in the same option.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Actually the Ninja 1000's bars are almost 2" higher and the pegs are almost an inch lower than the Z1000.

Both are great bikes!

Dan
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM

I sold my C14 when I bought my Versys. I miss it. It was incredibly smooth, faster than you need, and the locking saddlebags were voluminous. The ride position is easily changed with some bar risers. I averaged 40-42 mpg on mine, even with the occasional "test flight".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode