I'm a little disappointed with Kawasaki USA - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a little disappointed with Kawasaki USA

I contacted Kawasaki USA to find out when they would be getting the red handguards, and the tinted Vario windscreen. They told me they have no intentions of bringing those accessories to the US.

So now I am forced to look to the aftermarket or pay double the price of the parts to ship from the UK. I fell for the Versys tourer on the UK website, and now I wonder if I will be able to create it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
While aftermart parts might not have the Kawi logo on them, the reality is there is nothing on the Versys Tourer that you can't buy elsewhere. There are several options for handguards and windshields out there. One of the great things about the V is that you can mold it to your needs and not be limited by using just mama Kawi's parts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 PM

+1

Plus you will save significant coin and probably end up with better stuff.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 AM

....that being said, e-mail a UK dealer and ask if they ship over-seas ( they most likely do), The factory pieces are about the same price as after-market and the shipping is really not all that heinous.
Google an up to date exchange rate calculator....ad in the shipping cost and the price is just about dead-on to buying aftermarket locally.
Just sayin'......CUZ, if you want the factory pieces then that's what you should get.
Been there, done that, ( and the only thing it will really cost you is a longer wait to get back to the states.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I contacted Kawasaki USA to find out when they would be getting the red handguards, and the tinted Vario windscreen. They told me they have no intentions of bringing those accessories to the US.

So now I am forced to look to the aftermarket or pay double the price of the parts to ship from the UK. I fell for the Versys tourer on the UK website, and now I wonder if I will be able to create it or not.
Twisted Throttle has the Vario and red handguards for Versys in it's 2011 catalogue. pg 14-15 for handguards and pg 42 for the Vario.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Nick, Thanx for the info, I was looking.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortasaki View Post
Nick, Thanx for the info, I was looking.
Anytime
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Twisted Throttle has the Vario and red handguards for Versys in it's 2011 catalogue. pg 14-15 for handguards and pg 42 for the Vario.
Thanks. And where to I get this catalogue? OK. I found a PDF version at the website.

UK dealer wants $170 US to ship.

You got my hopes up, but they are not the same. The twistedthrottle windscreen is the generic MRA Vario with brackets to make it fit the Versys. The handguards are a generic red color not the matching color.

Thanks for trying. I might have to take my wife on vacation to the UK so I can hand carry the parts back. LOL! I wish it was that simple. I know some of you are shaking your heads because it would cost more to vacation there than ship the parts, but part is the principle and part is that it would come from a different pot of money, and part would be that I would love to tour the UK.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 06-04-2011 at 02:21 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
Google an up to date exchange rate calculator....ad in the shipping cost and the price is just about dead-on to buying aftermarket locally.
Actually, just use google for exchange rates.

google for "120 gbp in usd", and you get pounds to $$$. = eur
This also works for metric/imperial units (100 mph in kph), and you can do calculations "4+141+124-123*31" in the search field.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 AM

The Versys handguards are just under 100 here in the UK. Taking into account he shouldn't be charging you the 20% tax, it works out at $130. Another $40 for shipping is probably about right factoring in bulk and weight.

I'd happily buy them for you, but it would work out even more expensive as I'd get charged the tax, so they'd come in at $163 before shipping.

Rock and a hard place ?

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
The Versys handguards are just under 100 here in the UK. Taking into account he shouldn't be charging you the 20% tax, it works out at $130. Another $40 for shipping is probably about right factoring in bulk and weight.

I'd happily buy them for you, but it would work out even more expensive as I'd get charged the tax, so they'd come in at $163 before shipping.

Rock and a hard place ?
I appreciate the offer. They want $170 US to ship the handguard colored shells and winscreen. The purchase price for both would me about $200 US.

A friend of mine works for a company that has a presence in Ireland. We are trying to work out the logistics of sending the parts to a coworker and then I would have to wait until someone either travels or a shipment is made.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
....that being said, e-mail a UK dealer and ask if they ship over-seas ( they most likely do), The factory pieces are about the same price as after-market and the shipping is really not all that heinous.
Just sayin'......CUZ, if you want the factory pieces then that's what you should get.
Been there, done that, ( and the only thing it will really cost you is a longer wait to get back to the states.)
if you do contact a UK dealer make certain they can ship net of the VAT (Sales Tax), that will save the extortionate 20%. not all places are set up to do so.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Acerbis dual road hand gaurds are cheaper. can be lighted and are nicer looking anyway ... imho

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I appreciate the offer. They want $170 US to ship the handguard colored shells and winscreen. The purchase price for both would me about $200 US.
$170 just for the shipping?! Good grief. Try Cornwall Kawasaki, they have a very good reputation amongst owners on the UK site.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
Acerbis dual road hand gaurds are cheaper. can be lighted and are nicer looking anyway ... imho
Wrong color red, but thanks for the post.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
$170 just for the shipping?! Good grief. Try Cornwall Kawasaki, they have a very good reputation amongst owners on the UK site.
I will do that. Thanks. I looked at what it would cost to fly out there for a week and hinted around to my wife for our next anniversary trip. She just gave me this knowing look. It is tough being a two wheeled addict sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode