Help with buying - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help with buying

Ok guys I have a prospect in mind and was wondering what a fair price to pay is. Here are the specs:

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Purchased new in May/10

2060 miles (maybe more, I still ride it when I can)

Spotless/showroom condition

All maintenance up to date

Extras: Kawasaki (GIVI) matching hard cases, H&B Engine Guard, Admore Lighting (brake and turn signals)

3 year Extended warranty.

He is asking $5500. What is a fair price to offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had an opportunity to buy an '09 Candy Blue with 3000 miles on it. Registered in Feb '11 so still has warranty for $4000. When I visited the guy though I got the impression that most of those miles were hard acclerations, triple digit speeds, etc so I decided to pass.
The accessories probably add up to $1000 or so. Extended warranty $300.

For me a fair price to offer would be between KBB retail and trade in for the bike, and half the cost of the extras.
That is what I am asking for my KLR that is up for sale.

Of course that is only fair if you aren't going to take off some of the accessories as soon as you buy the bike.

I'm sure you will get other varied opinions. Sometimes when I think a price is kind of high I ask the seller how he came up with his asking price.

The real bottom line is how motivated a buyer you are, and how motivated a seller he is.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM

KBB is $4885 without extras. Nada average retail is around $5500. The bike may sell better or worse in your area. I always check craigslist (searchtempest.com), and cycle trader for prices in my area. Good luck and enjoy.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Personally I would not feel bad paying that for that bike. When I decided to replace my Versys there were no used ones to be found within 400 miles of me. I didn't want to pay the price for a new one and If I bought from a private seller I would not have to pay sales tax.

I ended up with a like new 09 with 834 miles for $4700. The bike was in Texas and I had to have it shipped. It virtually looked new. I mean not a dead bug on this thing anywhere. Had I been able to find the bike you describe at that price locally I would have jumped on it.

I may have been able to fine one a little cheaper but when I look at my Versys I am content with my purchase.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM

I paid $3750 last Sept. for a '09 with 6800 miles on it with lots of farkles: Oxford heated grips, Leo Vince pipe, front fender extender, rear spools, Michelin Pilot 2C tires with little mileage on 'em, Renthal aluminum bars with Rox adjustable risers, Vortex 43-tooth rear sprocket (in addition to the stock sprocket) and a Givi windshield plus the original shield.

I found it on Craigslist about 30 miles away. I didn't have a pile of money to work with then and fortunately was able to talk the guy down from the original asking price of $3995. It looked to be in very good shape and was only 11 months old, but had minor alterations and a little rash from a tip-over. The affected pieces (turn signal, clutch lever, LH mirror) have since been replaced. I have also invested in a used Baldwin seat and other accessories. I'm so pleased with this bike and ecstatic I chose this model.

Before buying my V, I went to see it and found I just had to have it, it talked to me if you know what I mean. I made an offer and it was rejected by the seller. What worked in my favor was that I seemed to be the only one REALLY interested in it and the seller called me a few days later and counter-offered me half of my original offer. I accepted it and have never looked back!

Granted the greenback is worth less now than last year, I'd offer the guy $4700 (seems fair?) and see what he says. At least it's a starting point to get the process rolling...

Ask yourself what price are you comfortable with paying for it. Whatever number you fall on, is it fair to you and the seller?

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
If I bought from a private seller I would not have to pay sales tax.
Are you Serious? If I didn't have to pay the tax man when buying used I would never buy new.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM

It's 2 years old, has miles on it (although not many). I would offer 4500 but not over 5 grand.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM

It all depends on your location. Here in Vermont, the versys is a perfect bike, but there are not many. In the past three months, no joke there have been three up for sale on craigslist for the entire state. In a 50 mile radius there are about two on the showrooms. When they get listed, they go fast. So, with that in mind all of the 2008 are going for mid 4,000s to 5, the 2009 are going for mid 5,000s to 6. There are no 2010s and the 2011 are going for mid sevens. A brand new 2009 leftover would go for 6,500 minimum.

So, I'd offer 4,800 but up to 5,000 and you got yourself a deal. Good luck!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Are you Serious? If I didn't have to pay the tax man when buying used I would never buy new.
Serious. No sales tax on private party sales. We do pay sales tax on new vehicles or used vehicles purchased from a dealer.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Same way in Arizona- if buying used from a private seller, no sales tax. Pisses of car/motorcycle dealers.......too bad.

No way I would pay $5500.00 for what is considered to be a three year old Versys. Don't matter if it was bought 01/09 or 06/11- it's considered to be three model-years old. Consider the accessories worth less than 1/2.

You didn't mention your location....that would have some bearing on the price, to be sure. Offer him $4,000. You can always offer more; hard to offer less.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Offer $4800 and let him talk you up to $5200.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM

The asking price is a bit high. $5,000 to $5,200 would seem like a fair price.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode