Extra Lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra Lights

I'm getting into long distance riding, and found that extra lights (2 cheap Wal-Mart 55 watt driving lights) really help with fatigue at night. I have them mounted to my SW-MOTECH crash bars right now, but there has to be a better way to mount them, such as higher up maybe? Also, they aren't that great of a light. I would like to upgrade the lights when I upgrade the mounts, but don't want to spend more that $200. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
bi-xenon projectors.... and the night becomes day
the 6000K that I have it's like daylight.... very relaxing at night...very uniform with the projectors and you can have 2 low beams in the same time, about 6x the light that comes from the OEM headlight.

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 AM

The 55w Walmart specials are great for being seen by others, a highly worthwhile reason for putting accessory lights on a motorcycle.

For seeing at night, there are better choices but they cost a lot more. I've yet to find a worthwhile value in high-end accessory lighting, so given the small amount of riding I do after dark I've stuck with cheapies.

If someone knows of "light up the night" accessory lights that won't also drain a bank account, I'd love to check them out.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
bi-xenon projectors.... and the night becomes day
the 6000K that I have it's like daylight.... very relaxing at night...very uniform with the projectors and you can have 2 low beams in the same time, about 6x the light that comes from the OEM headlight.
What brand?

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM

LEDs are the way to go on a bike. they use less power and give off as much if not more light than a 55W driving light and use only 10W. THey are pricey but worth the money. Here is a link to a site that sells LEDs with the wire harness included. http://visionxsuperstore.com/motorcycleledlights.aspx I bought from this company and they are great, fast delivery and good support I got.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM

visit this page on advrider,i've got set and i'm happy http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM

I have these on mine:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5283/652/

They are pretty friggin bright at night. They came on the bike when i bought it so I just kept em. I use them in the daytime now too in traffic, I think it helps.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I'm getting into long distance riding, and found that extra lights (2 cheap Wal-Mart 55 watt driving lights) really help with fatigue at night. I have them mounted to my SW-MOTECH crash bars right now, but there has to be a better way to mount them, such as higher up maybe? Also, they aren't that great of a light. I would like to upgrade the lights when I upgrade the mounts, but don't want to spend more that $200. Any suggestions?
You will be wanting these then

See this thread HERE

Richard

at
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post

See this thread HERE

Richard
June 6th they will be in the states. I've contacted TT about them. I actually posted in that thread already.

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What brand?
read this thread:http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364

I'm running just one projector now and at night....I can't tell you how much I like it...

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post

See this thread HERE

Richard
I disagree with you. If I go and install lights, I want them mounted permanently to the bike. I dont want to have to remove them in order to remove the plastic, and then have to go through the process of re aiming them every time I need to work on the bike.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Bright Lights

If you want some bright lights, here are the lights you want, Clearwater Kristas

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 PM

See, this is why it's good that I have financial limits. Cause if I didn't I'd rack like six of those things across the nose of my Versys. I'd put a master switch for all of them with a little engraved plate underneath reading, "and God said let there be light.". That's some nice hardware if you got the cash though.

Mike
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I would like to upgrade the lights when I upgrade the mounts, but don't want to spend more that $200. Any suggestions?
These may not fit your budget. I have had the same set of MotoLights on my last three bikes. I just keep taking them off before I trade the old bike in. I really like them I guess. Sometimes one get's what they pay for.

35 watt halogens with a lifetime warrenty
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I disagree with you. If I go and install lights, I want them mounted permanently to the bike. I dont want to have to remove them in order to remove the plastic, and then have to go through the process of re aiming them every time I need to work on the bike.
Paint pen. Make a dot on every mating surface, then just line the dots back up. Take maybe 5 minutes to line them back up perfectly. I did that on my truck lights when I took out the front steel for an engine project, lined right back up to where they were before.

IBA # 49372
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM

After doing some reasearch and also having about the same budget as you (under $200, but better then wallyworld specials), I went with a set of driving lights from Martin Fabrication.

They have kit that mounts right up to the forks, which includes a fully insulated wiring harness, waterproof lighted switch for your handlebars, relay, fuses, and well written and illustrated instructions.

The lights I went with are the 35w H3 lights and the whole kit was around $150 including shipping. The housing, mounting hardware, wiring are all top notch. You can also buy LED lamps from them and swap them in and out.. but most people still say that while LED has come a long way, they still do not put out the same light as incandesent (and not even close to HID). Yeah, they look bright when you stare at them, but as for throwing light down the road? they still can't match standard bulbs.

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Mar...ng_LIghts.html
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 PM

I do long distance touring...and try to be off the road by sunset. Had a friend killed by mule deer in Texas a few years ago while riding "to the next town". IMO, the Iron Butt folks are engaged in risky behavior.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 PM

driving lights are as much about being seen, as being able to see.. according to the Hurt Report summary

13. Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (on in daylight) and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I do long distance touring...and try to be off the road by sunset. Had a friend killed by mule deer in Texas a few years ago while riding "to the next town". IMO, the Iron Butt folks are engaged in risky behavior.
Riding a motorcycle at all is risky.

IBA # 49372
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

I ended up getting a set of 55w PIAA driving lights. Friend has them on a G650GS and I liked them.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode