Plugged rear tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Plugged rear tire

Unfortunately I got a rear flat on my beautiful V. I have just returned to riding after 10 years. Bought a used orange 07 Versys and absolutely love it. I live in Newfoundland, Canada. Lots of twisty roads here. I digress. I plugged the tire with regular car plug and was on my way again. I have driven about 500km with the plugged tire, as I forgot about the plug. I am shopping now for a replacement. A Pilot road 2 will be almost $300 here in Newfoundland. Should I order a Shinko for about $180 from internet or pay the $300? I just do general riding, certainly no real hard cornering, or track riding. Will the Skinko or Diablo super sport ( same price) be ok for me? How long should I comute with a plugged rear???
Any advise on what internet sites that deliver to Canada. Most sites charge about $45.00 shipping, and are not sure how much duty, customs ect that I will be charged. Any Canadians out there that have experience with ordering tires on internet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Depending on where you had to apply the plug and how much tread is left would help me determine what my course of action would be. If I thought the tire still had a lot of service left I would pull it and inspect the inside of the tire. If all looked good I would slice the plug even with the inside of the tire and apply a patch. Then I would remount and balance.

I beleive Shinko makes some decent tires. I am using them on my KLR and my Mean Streak. They have many different models of tires so which ones are you considering? I run dual sport tires on the KLR and the Raven 009 on the Mean Streak.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Tire is worn, so I will replace it. Plug is almost directly in center of tread, ie directly where the rubber meets the road!!! I have been riding for a week with the plug, no air pressure loss. I want to figure out if I can wait the 7-14 days to have a tire shipped to me or should I pay the extra money and purchase the tire locally at extra cost, ie over $300. I have no idea what Skinko to order, I have looked at 006 Produim and Shinko 87-4045 Raven or Diablo supersport, all same price ( $~$140.00 delivered). I can't find a pilot road 2 for less that $250.00 delivered to Newfoundland, can you recommend internet site for me to check. I have been fumbling around internet for 2 hours already this morning!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Try Pete's Superbike. They are in Longeuil, QC, and his prices are almost as good as any internet retailer from the States. A Pirelli Angel, for example, is $149 for the rear. I don't know what shipping costs would be. I would definitely keep riding the patched tire and save a lot of dosh with Pete.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for suggesting Pete's. shop is closed for a few days now, but i e mailed for price and shipping cost. That is what I was looking for. It kills me to pay over 300 here when I am reading that others are paying less than 300 for front and rear!! I hate getting ripped off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM

IIRC if you set up an account you can see his prices. Hope it works out for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 PM
vp7

I had to plug my tire at 100km, it was in the thread and off centre so that would make a difference, but the tire lasted until 6000km when I had to replace the tire due to wear.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I have been googling, "IIRC" b/c I never heard that before!!!! Just figured out it means, " if I remember correctly"!!!! i will go set up an account now!! I bet my 12 and 13 year olds would know what you meant right away!!!!
thank you
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM

If you aren't doing extreme riding (mostly commuting) you can run a plug for as long as you want. The only time I won't ride a plug, is if going to ride on the race track. Then the heat and strain on the tire are to much. But for commuting or canyon runs, you'll be fine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM

IIRC is actually 'if I recall correctly'...

Shinko tires are junk. I try to keep an open mind but there are just way too many reports by exprienced riders about the poor quality, performance, and wear. Yes, they are cheap. That said, the RAVEN would be a compatible tire for the versys.

Are you sure the online retailers won't ship to you? Just off the top of my head, Rocky Mountain, MC Superstore, Dennis Kirk, Bike Bandit?

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Chris,
They WILL ship to Canada, but usually by UPS which will then tack on a "brokerage fee" of around $50 WHETHER OR NOT they actually do anything 'brokerage-wise'.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I actually went to a couple of local bike shops yesterday. Neither would install a tire I purchased elsewhere, ie over internet. They expressed concern over liability if they only install it and not supply it. I ended up ordering a Pilot Road 2 for $266 Canadian, installation is only $12.50 if I bring the wheel in. Getting it off looks easy, now I just have to hope there is a good youtube video on how to properly tension the chain!!!! I am no mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode