Did the changes make much difference? 08-09, 10-11 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did the changes make much difference? 08-09, 10-11

I've searched for a forum that can answer these questions, but I can't seem to find one without wasting my entire day. If there is a thread that already exists, I would definitely appreciate the link. That said:
1) Can anybody tell me if the new body style with the adjustability of the windshield made much difference?
2) Did the motormount explained by Kaw make that much difference in the vibration? And did it cure the blurred mirror syndrome?
3) If I can still get a new 09 for around $5K did the changes make it worth paying the extra $2K for an '11?
4) And as an off subject, how many miles are sensible riders getting from their tires with 95% road riding and a rare off road experience?

Thanks for the help.
J-Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 AM

i know of no changes that were made
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoduckdog View Post
1) Can anybody tell me if the new body style with the adjustability of the windshield made much difference?
Having ridden the Gen1 and now owning a Gen2, I have to say Yes. I've found I'm happy (so far) with the standard position of the shield and don't feel I need to experiment with changing the angle yet, even with now wearing an Arai TourX lid. But more so in the aesthetics of the bike. The latest bike looks much nicer (to me) and the changes seem to have helped eradicate the vibration issues of the Gen1. Which nicely brings us to point two.

Quote:
2) Did the motormount explained by Kaw make that much difference in the vibration? And did it cure the blurred mirror syndrome?
The two main things that put me off buying the Gen1 was the looks (mostly of the headlamp) and more importantly, the vibes of the Gen1 which caused a terrible buzz around the front of the bike and mirrors that were practically useless. Now it's not like they were bad enough to stop me enjoying the bike (I was bringing this bike to its new owner and covered 250 miles which isn't the longest time spent on a Versys, but I think it gave me a good insight to the machine), but I just don't know if I could have lived long term with these annoyances should I have bought a Gen1 and did stop me buying one (things like vibration noises drive me crazy). However, there have been plenty of Gen1 owners who have taken the time to investigate these problems and there are quite a few opinions and fixes here to help a Gen1 owner get round these issues for the most part. But riding the Gen2 was (to me) such a good step forward. Kawasaki have listened to owners and done a good job of sorting out the early issues (mainly rubber mounting the rear engine mounting points and footrests) and it is a better bike to now ride (again, IMO).

Quote:
3) If I can still get a new 09 for around $5K did the changes make it worth paying the extra $2K for an '11?
$2k is still a lump of money and if it was me, I'd try to get a demo run on both generations because $2k can go a long way to buying loads of accessories and farkles or going away for a nice riding holiday on the bike should you buy the Gen1. If you can't get any demo rides, personally, I'd happily spend the extra cash on the Gen2 as it's the newer model with less 'issues' and $2k difference between the latest model and a bike that is essentially two years older is a wise spend.

Quote:
4) And as an off subject, how many miles are sensible riders getting from their tires with 95% road riding and a rare off road experience?
I think I've read here that some owners are getting up to 8 or 9k on the oe tyres. But the main complaint is that they aren't the most popular tyre and lacks grip in the wet and I don't know if anyone puts the same make back on come replacement time.

This will either help or maybe I'm talking absolute bollocks.

Good luck with your decision.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

Last edited by Davy F; 05-28-2011 at 01:57 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Gen II can be had for around $6200 if you shop carefully. Look at ebay and cycletrader. By the time I used my kawi dollars from the ticket to ride event and the $250 I won with the game piece it was close to a wash for me.

I have yet to have anyone say anything but positive comments regarding the look of the 2011.

I just got back yesterday from a 450 mile day on the bike with the stock windscreen and a bell star helmet and am up at the crack of dawn ready to go again.

I don't think I have perfect clarity in the mirrors on any of the bikes I own when trying to see if that car off in the distance has a light bar on top, but there is enough clarity when preparing to change lanes.

I used to tell people that if I could only own one bike it would be my KLR650 because of its' versatility. Well, I now have a new bike that would be the bike I would own if I could only have one, and that bike is the Versys.

Keep this in mind. Owning a bike is an emotional experience. When you get off the bike and start walking away will you turn around and take another look if you buy the '09?

Good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Shop around and the incremental price should be about $1,000. I justified the 2011 because of potential smoother ride, better styling, nice maroon color, and less depreciation loss. No regrets.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM

If you ride a Goldwing, yes the Versys has vibrations, if you ride a HD Sportster the Versys is smooth as silk. I had a 2009 Versys that buzzed a little, put on a 44T sprocket and rode it for 6k miles, loved the bike. Wife wanted to ride 2up so I traded the Versys for a 2010 R* Silverado. One year later wife decided riding wasn't for her. I IMMEDIATELY, like the same day, traded the R* on a 2011 Versys. The 2011 is smoother than the 2009 and handles like it's part of you, it is a great bike, I've had bikes since 1969 and this is the best handling most pleasant ride than any other I've owned. Kawi knocked it out of the ball park with this bike.

Last edited by Nick; 05-28-2011 at 04:13 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:19 PM

the 10/11 vibrates worse in the bars and as far as I can tell my 09 is the same in the rest of the bike ... I've said it before and I'll say it again ... The rubber mounting in the motor didn't fix the vibes in the Versys... at least not on the 2 I rode back to back ... Mine is almost vibe free now compared to when it was new ... I made some mods .. 15W40 oil, militec treatment in motor (took it in half) and put some miles on it ...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
the 10/11 vibrates worse in the bars and as far as I can tell my 09 is the same in the rest of the bike ... I've said it before and I'll say it again ... The rubber mounting in the motor didn't fix the vibes in the Versys... at least not on the 2 I rode back to back ... Mine is almost vibe free now compared to when it was new ... I made some mods .. 15W40 oil, militec treatment in motor (took it in half) and put some miles on it ...
The 6K+ miles I put on my 2009 definitely smoothed it out from when it was new. The 2011 with only 600 miles has very little vibration, I expect when I put the 44T sprocket on next week and I get another 1-2k miles on it, it will smooth out substantually. BTW I used Amsoil after 1500 miles on my 09, that helped also. Lets cut to the chase OK? If I had never traded in my 2009 in the first place, would I trade it for a 2011, Hell no! The 2011 is not a better bike than the 2009. Circumstances dictated the trade not dissatifaction. The fact that I immediately traded the R* for a new Versys should indicate the high regard I have for the 2009. As a matter of fact I looked on Ebay and Craigs list for a used Versys. None within reasonable travel distance or cost savings over the 2011. The Versys is an under priced, under rated, over looked, over performing gem of a motorcyle, as I have stated before It is one of the very best bikes, of many, I have owned.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 PM

........ Touche

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 PM

The motor is mounted a little different after 09 to help stop the frame from cracking, some new technology involving rubber or something? It's way over my head.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 PM
DR_

Back in February when I bought mine the difference was just under $2k because of rebates. That made it a no brainer and I got a '09 for $5550 OTD including TT&L. I actually like the looks of the gen 1 better but I do think they fixed most of the small issues the gen 1 has with the gen 2. If there was under a $1k difference I would have got a gen 2.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bversysb View Post
The motor is mounted a little different after 09 to help stop the frame from cracking, some new technology involving rubber or something? It's way over my head.
Not sure about the purpose being cracking, since we have been over this a lot on here, and have NOT seen a Versys crack... However, the NINJA 650 has had that issue on the older hard mounted models I think ...

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM

Can anyone here offer even a theory of how a change in oil brand, type, weight or additive could conceivably have an effect on felt engine vibration?

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Can anyone here offer even a theory of how a change in oil brand, type, weight or additive could conceivably have an effect on felt engine vibration?
ABSOLUTELY........ We all know that when you wash and wax your motorcycle or car they run quieter, smoother and faster, heck they even look newer. Therefore the same principle pertains to motor oil, when you do an oil and filter change, you are doing something good and you deserve positive feedback and your engine is so happy it just purrs. Ever notice that when people claim brand X set of tires handles better than their old set? Of course they do, new tires handle better than old wornout ones. That is not really an accurate comparisons of brands. Anyway I hope this explanation/theory answers your question.
IT'S MOSTLY WHAT YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE THAT FORM YOUR PERCEIVED RESULTS.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
... We all know that when you wash and wax your motorcycle or car they run quieter, smoother and faster, ... Therefore the same principle pertains to motor oil, when you do an oil and filter change, you are doing something good and you deserve positive feedback and your engine is so happy it just purrs. ...
IT'S MOSTLY WHAT YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE THAT FORM YOUR PERCEIVED RESULTS.
By George! I think you’ve got it!!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Not sure about the purpose being cracking, since we have been over this a lot on here, and have NOT seen a Versys crack... However, the NINJA 650 has had that issue on the older hard mounted models I think ...
Having owned a 650R for 4 years I will say that there is no frame cracking issue. There were a very few pre USA bikes that had frames crack. I believe it was a bad weld.

They went 4 model years before going with the rubber mount on the engine and that was because of vibration complaints. I rode my '07 15,000 miles and never got any numbness in my fingers, toes, or tush.

I know you guys with the gen 1 bikes love them and those of us with the gen 2 love them as well. To me and all those that I showed pictures of both generation bikes which one they thought looked better, all said the gen 2 bike. For me it has more of a machine or machinery look to it. My wife says the front looks like an insect.

If I could have found a new leftover '09 in green for 2 grand less than I paid for the '11 it would be sitting in my garage. If Kawi comes out with a Gen 2 with candy lime green accents and I decide I like it, my bike will be getting new plastics at that time.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 PM

one of the big factors in why i went with an '11 is trade in value. I never know when a new versys might come out with something better or I might not be able to hold out and get a tiger 800

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If Kawi comes out with a Gen 2 with candy lime green accents and I decide I like it, my bike will be getting new plastics at that time.
Do you mean like this

See HERE

Richard

at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode