Vibration issue (I know...again!) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vibration issue (I know...again!)

Hi all: have started riding my new 2011 Versys. I have noticed vibration in the foot pegs (which I thought was supposed to be fixed in 2010) and in the mirrors. The first occur when I around the 4K rpm (I am still breaking the engine in...). I can also feel it when I accelerate above 4K (I tried a couple of time to go as high as 5K RPM for a brief period). The second occurs whenever I am not idling.
Suggestions? Thoughts?

Last edited by Blue&White; 05-27-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM

I have a 2010. When I first bought it, I noticed it as well. It is probably still there but I am used to it and don't even notice it now.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM

The vibration is less after break-in, and is much less noticeable after a couple of thousand miles and change to synthetic oil.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Vibration can be very subjective...and frequently influenced by expectations and experience with other motorcycles. Regardless of the V's rubber engine mounts...the engine is going to tranfer some degree of "buzz" to the pegs and bars.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Yes, the pegs still buzz. The plastic that runs along the side under the tank vibrates heaps too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM
MTS

Yes I have noticed a little of that also. It is less as miles go up. I have a 2010. I just don't pay attention to it any more. I think it is an awesome motorcycle. I took it on the trails by the river and some gravel roads and it was really fun!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 AM

With considering moving to a V from the KLR, I went down to the local dealership to take one out for a test ride. The mirrors seemed to be in constant vibration status and made it difficult to focus clearly. My KLR vibrates more overall, but the mirrors are rock solid stable and clear at all rpms. Has anyone considered trying the new KLR mirrors on the V to see if it fixes the mirror clarity?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The only motorcycle i have ridden to date where I have not noticed any type of vibration is the new Concours.

That said, as long as the vibration isn't at a frequency where it creates numbness in you feet or hands it will not be bothersome.

Like someone else said, it is subjective. I have to wear thick winter gloves everytime I use my gas powered line trimmer to keep my fingers from going numb for several hours. If that was happening on the bike I would have to get rid of it.

I only notice a bit of vibration when I move my feet or my butt. Then as soon as I am in the new position I don't notice it anymore.

I rode over 400 miles yesterday and no issues. Oh and when you get past the break in mileage and open this baby up you will forget about any vibration at all. I found myself in triple digits without meaning too while passing a logging truck.

If you are going to let the dealer to your first service mention the vibration to them and make sure they sync the throttle bodies as part of the service as well as check all the fasteners.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 05-28-2011 at 06:10 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM

The vibes in the footpegs and handlebars on my 08 gave me numbness in my right foot and both hands in the first few thousand kms. This was mostly on touring roads where I'd sit at the same speed for long stretches. The engine smooths out over time and it's no longer a problem for me.

Various reviewers of the new model with the rubber engine mounts and padded footpegs say there is not much difference.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM

A common problem for new riders is an excessively tight grip on the controls. A "death grip" and thin-soled footwear will always amplify vibration buzz.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

I have a 2009 I bought new, and I test rode a 2011 twice for a total of 60+ miles ... The 2011 had a harsher vibe in the grips at about 4500-5000 rpm and it doesn't exist anywhere in the bars on my 09 at any RPM. In the whole bike, the 2011 and my 09 were about the same as far as vibes go ...

Since I rode the 2011, I keep telling people that the vibratin mods Kawi made on the 10/11 are NOT worth the extra money of that's your deciding factor. All the rubber mounting did was change the way the bike vibrates, actually a little worse in the bars themselves at about 5,000 RPM give or take...

What to do? Buy a set of OURY street grips, wear thicker soled rubber on your feet as people said, and tell everyone that you meet that Kawi didn't FIX the Versys Vibration issue...

I noticed after 1500 miles, changing to 15W40 oil, and a dose of Militec, my bike is nearly vibe free ... And it's an 09 ... I have the cowling buzz, but that's not vibration ... will fix that soon enough

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM

How much Militec did you add to your oil and was one treatment enough. I have 600 miles on my 2011 and did the motoman break in straight out of the dealership. I did a 132 mile ride today at 60-70 mph (4500-5200 RPM) got 59 MPG and honestly didn't notice undue vibration. Of course any improvement is worth pursuing.
Thanks
Nick
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
How much Militec did you add to your oil and was one treatment enough. I have 600 miles on my 2011 and did the motoman break in straight out of the dealership. I did a 132 mile ride today at 60-70 mph (4500-5200 RPM) got 59 MPG and honestly didn't notice undue vibration. Of course any improvement is worth pursuing.
Thanks
Nick
Nick: did you have issues during the break-in period? I have 250 miles on my 2011 and the mirrors blur as well as the footpegs that vibrate. hand grips seem to buzz when I accelerate around the 4000 TPMs.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Emgo mirrors are inexpensive and will get rid of most of the mirror issues.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&White View Post
Nick: did you have issues during the break-in period? I have 250 miles on my 2011 and the mirrors blur as well as the footpegs that vibrate. hand grips seem to buzz when I accelerate around the 4000 TPMs.
I have broken in every bike I've owned since 2001 using the Motoman's advice. I've never has a problem with oil consumption or engine problems, as a matter of fact I've never had problems that members of other forums had with their engines. Every engine vibrates to some extent it's just the nature of the beast, however I firmly believe that babying your engine does more harm than good, run it hard, run it fast declerate hard, accelerate hard don't bog it down. To answer part of your question the vibrations will smooth out over time as a result of wearing in and you accepting some of it as normal. I'm an old guy who likes comfort, I sit on an Airhawk cushion, put a Vario windshield and grip puppies on my bike. I live where I can go 100+ miles at speeds over 85 mph and have 1 stop light. I make it a practice to run at least 1-2 miles at 8000+ rpm, every time I ride. I know the engine runs smoother and responds quicker after that. I guess the moral of this story is, to quote many others "ride it like you stole it" baby it when it comes to maintainence and don't get caught up with other people's opinions. It's your bike and it can be a wonderful window to enjoyment.

Last edited by Nick; 05-29-2011 at 10:25 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thanks
Nick
One ounce per QT capacity. I treat every other oil change on a motorcycle ... So, I used 2oz., then change oil every 1500 here in AZ. Change oil filter every OTHER change ..

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM

you change the oil every 1500 miles? Holy hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode