Okay - Help me cut through the smoke - Dealer Statements - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Okay - Help me cut through the smoke - Dealer Statements

Hi All -

I have just been told by a salesman -

1. Versys are so in demand that we sell them as faster than we get them (I have a list of people to call)

2. There are no more bikes coming from Japan for the next 3 months due to rolling blackouts.

3. We only have about 10% of MSRP to make a deal with....

I have no problem buying a bike at a fair price - if I buy a new one - since I will probably miss all the used ones.... But what is that fair price? How does one keep from getting raped?

For example - go to cycle trader - across the country there are NEW 2009s going from $4,997 to $7,099 (MSRP)

What gives?

To all you dealers out there - I am willing to pay a fair price - please do not take this as a "how can we rip off the Dealer" thread - that's not the goal at all. Help us understand what is fair - how can one guy pay over $7,500 US and another get out the door for less than $6,000 US on the same bike, same year, same color, same, same in the same 30 day period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM

I bought a 2011 Versys and got them to go down to $7000, which I thought was about as far as they would go.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM

mine was advertised as $7199 on the floor... so paying any less then that is a good deal.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Fremont Motor Sports in Florence, Colorado lists 2011s for $6599. I got a 2011 including Givi 35s mounted for $7000
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 PM

5900 new in 2009
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 PM

if a salesman's mouth is moving, he's lying. Offer him what you are willing to pay and more times than not you have a deal.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Different dealers, different deals. '10 and '11 are around $7000 at the moment. You're paying too much for a '08, '09 if you pay more than about $5400. Kawasaki also had a deal back in April that brought many of the '09s down to $5000 and I'd bet most have "forgotten" to take them down. Try and get them to sell it to you at $5000. I was close to buying a new one but this guy wasn't willing to deal on a set of bags and I could get one used with bags and then some for a lot less. I opted used.

V's are probably moderate demand. The price makes them appealing but high demand bikes sit lower to the ground and have two more cylinders. I wouldn't be surprised about not getting any new bikes, Japan is a mess right now.

That said
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
Offer him what you are willing to pay and more times than not you have a deal.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Here is a new 2011 for $6399 with NO additional fees in WV:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item23110c4703

Go get it!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post

Go get it!
the hell? Ok I redact my previous estimate. I know my data on the '09, '08 is accurate.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Buy mine. I'll come down
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post

Go get it!
WOW that is cheap. It seems like WV cycle shops are giving away bikes. I though I got a good deal with 7K +prep out the door.

2012 Super Tenere On order

2011 Versys Sold
2006 DL1000 Sold
2006 XR650L Sold
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Angry Make an offer

The Versys is assembled/made in Thailand. All the USA's 2011 Versys comes out of the Kawasaki warehouse in California. The Japanese earthquake happened long after the 2011's had shipped to the US.
My dealer told me the same bull about not being available. I called Kawasaki in California and was told that they had a warehouse full.
Shop around and offer the price you think is fair and are willing to pay.
It worked for me.

ďDonít bother me with DETAILS!Ē
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM

How is it no one wants to get raped but it's okay to rape a dealer? MSRP. Does it or does it not matter to you that these businesses stay around?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm betting that guy would tell you any bike you were looking at was in high demand. Any bike from any Japanese name would be "not coming anymore due to blackouts". He learned a tune, it might have worked once or twice.

Ask to be shown the service department. If they take you back and intro you to the mechanics and the shop is relatively clean and tidy and they are busy working on bikes then they might be an okay dealer. I'm betting this guy will give you the "we can't let you back there due to liability". I won't buy a car unless I get to see the dealer's service dept. and did the same thing when I bought my Versys.

Offer what you are willing to pay. Write it and your phone number on the back of one of his business cards and leave it with him. I'm betting he'll call to counter within 24 hours and be at your price within 48. Otherwise...go elsewhere.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
The Versys is assembled/made in Thailand. All the USA's 2011 Versys comes out of the Kawasaki warehouse in California. The Japanese earthquake happened long after the 2011's had shipped to the US.
My dealer told me the same bull about not being available. I called Kawasaki in California and was told that they had a warehouse full.
Shop around and offer the price you think is fair and are willing to pay.
It worked for me.
Unless kawi shifted manufacturing. Versys sold in NA are build in Japan. Europe and asia get them from thailand. However, I believe 2011 in the US were already here by the time of the earthquake.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM

The dealer I got mine from said they can't sell the Versys because everyone wants a cruiser. I got a good deal on mine just so they could get rid of it and put a Vulcan where it was sitting on the showroom floor.

IBA # 49372
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagouillard06 View Post
Hi All -

I have just been told by a salesman -

1. Versys are so in demand that we sell them as faster than we get them (I have a list of people to call)

2. There are no more bikes coming from Japan for the next 3 months due to rolling blackouts.

3. We only have about 10% of MSRP to make a deal with....

>snip
1. There were a LOT of them sent over for the 2009 model year, about the time that bike sales dropped off by at least 50%. It seems all but a very few have now been discounted and sold. It is not a high-demand model, on the other hand I was into Malcolm Smith Motorsports last Saturday for a Suzuki demo day and a very friendly and experienced rep (was with Malcom's racing products for 15 years 'till he sold it off) saw my bike and said, "Oh, those are neat bikes, we can't seem to get any of those in." I dunno if that meant they hadn't ordered any because they don't sell or what. They have all the jap brands plus KTM, Aprillia, Husky, and Husaberg. He also said sales were about double what they were a year ago, said they just about starved to death. Chapparals, huge mail-order and store in San Bernardino always has a couple on the showroom floor. Haven't been there lately so don't know if they have any 09's left. I have a hunch there were substantially less made for the 2010 model year. I know Yamaha didn't even build any of some of their models, for sure the WR250's.

2. Whether there are or there aren't has no bearing on what models are currently for sale. You can't buy a bike they don't have or can't get.

3. I may be mistaken but I think it's closer to about 15%. Still, you should be able to get 'out the door' for at or a little under MSRP. The longer they have them sitting around the more 'cost' they have into them because they start paying flooring on them after about 30 days. If there's a mfr rebate or discount then they can pass some or all along.

Beware the dealers advertising a price that is substantially below the general marketplace. When you get there they will have mandatory add-ons for freight and prep. Malcolm Smiths has about $900 listed on every sticker sheet for freight and 'assembly'. Yeah right. It's a bargaining chip. They charge $400 on the sales ticket but cost is probably an hour or less, maybe $50 cost to the dealer. If they are within driving distance of the warehouse like here in CA I don't think there is any freight costs either, they go pick them up on a flatbed.

Demand and availability to replace inventory will have a very large influence on how much they are willing to discount. When new and improved models are introduced for a given bike the older version will generally have to be at least discounted more than the newest edition just to get buyers to take them in lieu of the newest version. KTM is a great example - they don't change much from year to year unless it's a new model introduction or major upgrade, so there is generally just a couple of hundred dollars difference from year to year. The previous year usually gets snapped up at the minor deal because there isnt' much gained for the newer year. And they only make so many of them, many models do sell out so they can be hard to replace for the dealers. They get an allottment, or they place their order for the entire year and once they sell what they got they can't get any more unless they can get them from another dealer. All good reasons to 'hold gross' on the selling price. Some discounting is to 'give the buyer a deal to get him to buy now', but generally they keep the prices up pretty close to msrp. Most of those dealers don't play games with prep and freight fees - there is freight on them, they set them up as part of the biz of selling bikes.

There is some merit to finding a dependable dealer, particularly if there are several within your service region. If not, buy the best deal you can and are willing to travel, and take care of the servicing yourself. Frankly, a few hundred dollars is soon forgotten on a purchase such as this, and you can waste that kind of cash dinking around and traveling a long distance to buy one. 5% either way shouldn't really make that much difference, you're taking maybe $300-$400. You can spend that much in gas and hotels traveling to save that much on a purchase from a distant dealer. Even 10% on seven grand is $700. Hell we drop that on a weekend to vegas, about half that on a holiday weekend to the dez with the RV (like this next weekend!)

Financing is another weakpoint for dealers. The credit company affiliated with Kawasaki is a joke. They are like vultures, don't ask me how I know. I refinanced mine after the first year with my credit union for half the rate and they don't play games with fees and charges.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
How is it no one wants to get raped but it's okay to rape a dealer? MSRP. Does it or does it not matter to you that these businesses stay around?
as I said - I don't - but let's be real here - if we all did MSRP without the ability to dicker - then maybe we would all be confident.

However - what really happens? you walk in and they want MSRP + Freight + Setup + doc fee + inspection..... + + +

Then you tell them - No - I'll pay $XXXX.Xx for the bike. The dealer hems and haws and then says Okay...who is kidding who here? -

I really just hate that game. I'd happily pay a fair price - but the dealers hurt themselves with all the add ons that do not seem fair at all... and when you offer a price that seems fair to you - they say okay sometimes and no others......

So if you get the stupids and pay MSRP + and find out that you could have paid less, you feel well - raped...
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagouillard06 View Post
as I said - I don't - but let's be real here - if we all did MSRP without the ability to dicker - then maybe we would all be confident.

However - what really happens? you walk in and they want MSRP + Freight + Setup + doc fee + inspection..... + + +

Then you tell them - No - I'll pay $XXXX.Xx for the bike. The dealer hems and haws and then says Okay...who is kidding who here? -

I really just hate that game. I'd happily pay a fair price - but the dealers hurt themselves with all the add ons that do not seem fair at all... and when you offer a price that seems fair to you - they say okay sometimes and no others......

So if you get the stupids and pay MSRP + and find out that you could have paid less, you feel well - raped...
I agree. Quit foolin around. Buy the one on E-Bay in WV!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM

yea man, that one in WV is the best deal i have seen yet...even if they do throw $1000 extra stuff on there you are still saving money on the "out the door" total price.

I look back on mine and think that I might have been able to talk them down more, but then I think... who cares... I made sure that I could get it to a price where I could make the monthly payments and thats what I did. AND I love this bike, so I'm good.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode