How to carry a passenger - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to carry a passenger

Hi,

I am looking for tips on how to safely carry a passenger. I've googled and read some articles and learned a little bit. But I want to read as much as I can and get some real life experiences.

Of course I will start carry a passenger in safe and quiet places first before going any busier streets. I am about 145lbs. and passenger is probably around 110lbs.

The passenger will for sure have adequate riding gear of course. But I guess I am looking for some step by step and tips especially for the Versys. I'd imagine it's a little different from a typical cruiser and hunchover super sport bike.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just have your passenger sit on back seat with feet on passenger footpegs, and holding onto passenger grab handles. Be aware that it wheelies easily in 1st gear with a passenger on.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I'll definitely make sure to be smooth and slow when turning my right wrist.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you are not putting a trunk on the bike and your passenger is a cute female have her wrap her arms around your middle and hold on tight.

When you take a right curve she needs to look over your right shoulder. When you take a left curve she needs to look over your left shoulder.

The think you have to watch out for when the passenger is new to riding is that they have a tendency to want to stay perpendicular to the ground which means you will have to lean the bike over more to take the same corner that you were used to taking at a lesser lean angle.

If this passenger is your wife invest in her taking the MSF course.

It is best for new passengers to start out with a backrest or trunk so they can learn to plant their torso inline with the bike. They also feel more secure.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM

my passenger (wife) doesnt like to hold onto the grab rails... she holds on to me. I find this a lot more stable if you can teach them to do what you do and not react to everything.

It can be dangerous if she leans the other way or freaks out, so take some time putting around and getting used to the weight difference.

And the best thing you can do is to eat some steaks, cause 145 is just not enough brother... lol jk

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=
And the best thing you can do is to eat some steaks, cause 145 is just not enough brother... lol jk[/QUOTE]

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM

A couple if weeks ago I finally talked my wife into riding pillion with me. After a first short ride she got off the bike and told me with a big smile thar she liked it. I never rode more carefully or smoothly before in my life. That paid off with an extremely good passenger that cooperated and did everything right. Except for the expected change due to the shift in the riding triangle it was like she was not there. One thing that made me a little uncomfortable was the fact that I could not hear her. I got a set of bluetooth intercoms so we can talk to each other. We are going out again this coming weekend on a longer ride. Hopefully the first of many.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM

- as smooth as possible on the throttle and brake
- easy with first gear accelerating. It won't wheelie, but it can.
- I do not suggest using the passenger handle bars on back. Have her put her hands on the tank (most stable feeling) or on you.
- try to get her to lean into the corners with you. Most people fight it and want to counter lean or be upright, get her to lean in with you.
- explain that the best time for her to "readjust" her seating is when you are at normal acceleration in a straight line. Most passengers readjust as you are slowing down to come up to a stoplight. The bike is pretty unstable at this point.
- Have fun and take it slow at first.

My gf rides her own moto but couldn't because she broke her foot. She was just itching to go out, so we went two up on a group ride here in Colorado. Because she was so comfortable and used leaning, we had no problems passing other motorcycles in the canyons and scrapping pegs. It was a hoot!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I would also suggest OXFORD Rider Grips... It’s a belt that you wear that has grab handles that your passenger can hold onto. My wife rides her own bike but prefers this belt to hold onto when she is on with me as the handles provide a more secure grip when wearing gloves. She feel that her grip slips against my textile jacket when wearing gloves.

Looks a little dorky but it's better than doing this:

ouch!

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM

The correct way to carry a pillion, especially if he/she is inexperienced is to sit in line with you, one hand on or around your waist, the other on your shoulder. This hold keeps your pillion in line with you under all ciscumstances, the one hand on the waist keeps him/her from sliding back under acceleration and the shoulder hand prevents that slide forward under braking. It keeps an optimal seating postion so that you neither bang helmets or flail back and forth upsetting your balance. Because the hands are on you, it tends to keep the pillion in line with the rider on leaning into the corner.

Of course, don't forget to explain to a new pillion what they and you will be doing before the first ride, so they know what to expect. The most important thing is that whatever they do behind you, it should be as predictable as possible. Best to start slow and smooth and build up from there as a riding unit. As confidence builds you can both shift position and adjust styles and seating positions to enhance the riding experience.

Hope that helps
Cheers and
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM

most girls have ridden on jet skis before, especially if you are around water. Explain to them that its just like that... if they lean the opposite way of you it can throw you both off.

bottom line is that she needs to understand that her weight is just as influential to how the bike moves as yours.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Try and find a quiet road so that you can get the bike moving. Trying to learn in a parking lot is hard as you tend not to be able to get the bike to a speed where it is at it's most stable. Explain to them what you are going to do and how to get on the bike. Keep both your feet on the floor if you can reach, have the engine off with the bike in gear so it doesn't move while you concentrate on your passenger. Tell them it's like getting on a horse
And most of all be smoooooth with the gear changes
Try clutchless changeing once you are out of 2nd gear. It causes less head banging
Darren
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 PM

You know how they tie an injured man over a horse in old westerns? Like that.

IBA # 49372
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Dav

Suggest being like a sack of potatos and be neutral...if she/he starts leaning into corners then you have a whole other thing to contend with. Be smooth. I have met a lot of smooth lady potatos this way.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't forget to adjust your suspension for the extra weight.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM

May be a dumb question but is there any docs on what settings for what weight are appropriate for the versys? I was fine with the settings as they came so I've never messed with them.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

When you take a right curve she needs to look over your right shoulder. When you take a left curve she needs to look over your left shoulder.
That's the best advice right there. I told my wife the exact same thing and we can corner pretty well 2 up. Your passenger doesn't have to lean...just look in the direction that you're turning. My wife tends to hold on to my jacket, at the sides, down low. She also holds on with her knees.

We had some head banging while shifting but not so much after a bit of practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode