EBC Brake Pads - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

EBC Brake Pads

Just installed new brake pads front and rear. Wow what a difference from stock pads.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...tered-Double-H

These pads are like having power brakes. Way more effective than the stockers and less money too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM

I just installed some EBC HH brake pads on the rear of my 2015 Versys 650 LT. The original pads lasted 13K miles. The new pads have at least as much power as the stockers (which were really good!) - I will have to see how well they last.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 PM

I'm still on my original pads, but I've been using EBC pads on my Harleys and triumphs for the last 20 years, and have found them to be way better than OEM. You can be assured when my Versys needs new pads they will be replaced with EBC-HH. They cost $30 per set.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:38 PM

Garage
I've had them on two bikes now. My impression is less initial bite but a more linear feel which makes braking near the limit easier to modulate. Another big improvement in braking came when I installed steel braided brake lines. It totally removes the sponginess in the front brakes as long as you accompany it with a good bleed job to remove all the air. Together they dramatically improve brake feedback which allows you to brake harder without feeling like you are going to lock up the front wheel.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:02 AM

EBCs are pretty great but indeed, they don't have that much initial bite and are instead very linear. I like to have that bite (personal preference) and I eventually switched to SBS pads. I feel they have the same stopping power at the limit, but have a stronger starting point, at the cost of being more difficult to modulate. Try them out if you want something different

Also, pay attention to rotor wear, mine got worn down to the service limit at 36 000 km (~20 000 miles). Gone through 4 sets of brake pads on that rotor, two OEMs, then SBS, then EBC HH. Now I have SBS again on the new rotors. Mileage is not a good estimator of rotor wear but pad count is - after your second or third set, start inspecting.

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 03:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Also, pay attention to rotor wear, mine got worn down to the service limit at 36 000 km (~20 000 miles). Gone through 4 sets of brake pads on that rotor, two OEMs, then SBS, then EBC HH. Now I have SBS again on the new rotors. Mileage is not a good estimator of rotor wear but pad count is - after your second or third set, start inspecting.
You went through 4 sets of pads and 1 set of rotors in 36K km? You must do a lot of track days or live on top of a mountain . I'm at 23K km and still on original set of pads.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 09-10-2017 at 03:08 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 09:30 PM

On a side note, is there anyone who converted the brake lines to braided SS? I wonder how much of a difference that would make in feel.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You went through 4 sets of pads and 1 set of rotors in 36K km? You must do a lot of track days or live on top of a mountain . I'm at 23K km and still on original set of pads.
Yeah, a bunch of track days and frequent trips to the mountains Though I also don't wait until the very last moment, I tend to replace pads while the indicator groove is still visible, like 1mm depth of meat left.

2015 Versys 650
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayr14 View Post
On a side note, is there anyone who converted the brake lines to braided SS? I wonder how much of a difference that would make in feel.
I've done it on prior bikes, and likely will on my Versys at some point. I've found that the SS lines make a noticeable positive difference in braking feel/modulation. I ride in rain and in winter slop so that's very important to me. The older the original rubber hoses, the more pronounced the difference will be. And of course the new fluid and a good bleed job (and may better pads) that occurs when changing the hoses just adds to that positive difference. Some folks believe SS lines can make the brakes "stronger" but I don't think that's correct.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
I was looking around for braided SS lines for the 2015+ and couldn't find any obvious off the shelf pieces. I was poking around on the parts diagram for something else and I came across the brake piping diagram. No I realize why. I haven't change the brake line on a bike with ABS before but it looks like you would need 2 fairly long lines and 1 short just for the front.
brakelines.jpg

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
I've done it on the front, not sure if there is a point on doing the rear. It totally removes the squishyness in the brakes. Your brake lever will suddenly become firm at the exact point your pad makes contact with the rotor. I tested my brake lever feel, side by side, against a new versys on the showroom floor and the difference is immense. With better feedback you can brake harder without feeling like you are risking an accidental lockup of the front wheel.

There are two issues though:

* To get the benefit of the new brake lines you have to do a complete bleed job. Just pumping out the big bubbles is not good enough. I repumped a litre of brake fluid through the system a few times to remove all the micro bubbles that came out the collector line.

* The type that connects both brake lines to the master cylinder will be easier to bleed but if you have hand guards they will need to be modified and if you do modify them they (they hand guards) may contact the windshield reducing the amount you can turn the bars. In the end I just removed my hand guards.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-11-2017 at 07:08 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I've done it on the front, not sure if there is a point on doing the rear. It totally removes the squishyness in the brakes. Your brake lever will suddenly become firm at the exact point your pad makes contact with the rotor. I tested my brake lever feel, side by side, against a new versys on the showroom floor and the difference is immense. With better feedback you can brake harder without feeling like you are risking an accidental lockup of the front wheel.

There are two issues though:

* To get the benefit of the new brake lines you have to do a complete bleed job. Just pumping out the big bubbles is not good enough. I repumped a litre of brake fluid through the system a few times to remove all the micro bubbles that came out the collector line.

* The type that connects both brake lines to the master cylinder will be easier to bleed but if you have hand guards they will need to be modified and if you do modify them they (they hand guards) may contact the windshield reducing the amount you can turn the bars. In the end I just removed my hand guards.
Did you make custom lines or did you purchase them from somewhere? I have a 16 so I'm not sure if I'll encounter the same issues as you or not. I also purchased Barkbuster VPS guards (not installed yet).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I've had them on two bikes now. My impression is less initial bite but a more linear feel which makes braking near the limit easier to modulate. Another big improvement in braking came when I installed steel braided brake lines. It totally removes the sponginess in the front brakes as long as you accompany it with a good bleed job to remove all the air. Together they dramatically improve brake feedback which allows you to brake harder without feeling like you are going to lock up the front wheel.
Twowheels where did you get your SS brake lines, make model?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Twowheels where did you get your SS brake lines, make model?
I got Gaffer lines from twisted throttle although any online retailers should carry them. I don't imagine there is much difference between brands. Occasionally you may be able to find someone in your local area that can make you one as well, if you supply them with your OEM line as a template. They are make/model specific fitment. May be worth asking your local dealer if they know of anyone who does this.

Quote:
Did you make custom lines or did you purchase them from somewhere? I have a 16 so I'm not sure if I'll encounter the same issues as you or not. I also purchased Barkbuster VPS guards (not installed yet).
I would recommend getting the model that has the cross over line over the fender like the OEM lines rather than the kind that lead both the right and left cylinder lines to meet at the handle bars. They make both.

The kind that connect two lines to the master cylinder are easier to bleed but the two lines attached there protrude more than just having one line attached there, interfering with hand guards.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 09-12-2017 at 08:22 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...The kind that connect two lines to the master cylinder are easier to bleed but the two lines attached there protrude more than just having one line attached there, interfering with hand guards....
Here are pics of what I did on my '08, and they work VERY well! Incidentally - I also added a rear SS line and it GREATLY improved the rear brake!

First two pics show BEFORE the new spacer and bolt were added for the two SS front brake-lines, but as you can see - I had to MOVE the hand-guards higher to clear.

I bought a spacer and longer bolt (for the hand-guards) - THIRD pic - at the local hardware.

Next pic shows from the front AFTER I added the spacer, while the last TWO give close-ups of the 'bits' attached, and the hand-guards rotated to the BEST position..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB130997 copy.JPG (112.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PB130998 copy.JPG (110.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PB130999 copy.JPG (74.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PB131000 copy.JPG (104.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg PB131001 copy.JPG (121.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg PB131002 copy.JPG (106.2 KB, 39 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode